Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Nov 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I'm a yorkshire girl, very broad, I sound like a cross between Zak dingle and Keith Lemon 😉
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
JackyH
Imagineer

JackyH's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Boltonian- about as far from RP as you can get.
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Well you learn something new everyday, I too didn’t know what an RP accent was which is shameful as that’s what mine is I suppose. I always think of myself as having no accent but everyone else does!
I grew up in a fairly affluent area of SW London, I had a very posh voice when I was younger. Moved a few miles up the road when I left home where they speak far more common or cockney so my accent has changed somewhat. I definitely sound posh compared to a lot of my friends but certainly no where near how my parents or sister sound, think of Margo from The Good Life 😂.

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

I think I have a mix of Essex and east London but fairly well spoken compared to others in our area.

My dad was a stickler for correct pronunciation so I think that explains it.

We try hard to correct dd and I often notice she speaks differently to a lot of kids at her school.

‘We was’ is rife around here and it really grates on me.

Funnily enough I went to the same school that dd now attends and would say back then the children were well spoken in general, but we did have a drama teacher that made us have speech lessons (she was very posh!) Now the children definitely have more of an Essex accent.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m often told I’m posh by the children I teach, but I’m not. I’ve just learnt to speak very clearly in order to be understood.

I have a very slight, sometimes undetectable Welsh accent, with an occasional Somerset twang from the years I spent working in Burnham on Sea.
Old 21 Nov 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
lensgirl
Imagineer

lensgirl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I have always lived on the South Coast pretty much opposite the Isle of Wight. I dont think I have any sort of accent at all. My nan and dad have a Hampshire accent (bit farmer like) and my mum is a posh londoner agian with no accent. DH is from Chatham but moved here when he was 9 so he doesn't seem to have an accent either!

Me DH: DS:11 DS:7:
2003: DLRP - Santa Fe
2007, 2008, 2010, 2016: POR
2009: NYC in Feb for DH 30th B'day,
lensgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

I texted a few friends what relating to accents /languages RP stood for .
Only 3 have answered so far ( 2 Preston / 1 Redcar ) and none of them have a clue

I think it’s more of a Southern thing , as all Northerners tend to have local accents /dialects ( obviously most areas of the south do too) and also an education thing .

My missus had never heard of it , my DD said she had done it in English but couldn't remember what it stood for but thought it basically meant ‘ posh’ 😂
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
Born and bred in Suffolk. Not sure about the accent though.

Definitely not a country bumpkin accent. Actually I don't know what accent I have, sounds daft I know. Posh bumpkin maybe🥴🥴

On many occasions in the US I have been asked where in Australia I come from!
Me too! I think the Suffolk twang sounds a little ozzie at times, bear in mind a lot of our forefathers were shipped over there!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I actually love accents and local dialects and feel quite sad that a lot are dying out. I would hate it if everyone spoke in non descript RP English. I had to Google it too !

Myself, I will be forever Manc.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I remember listening to a man on the radio years ago, who changed his accent as he talked. I remember he was travelling the country, accent wise, from north to south, ( or the other way around) talking in the local accent as he went.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List