Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Nov 20, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
…... I don't know why you want to start something Anne ? Am I not agreeing with the majority ?

I don't want to start anything. I just don't understand the waiting until January which is why I asked.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
ETA this was in response to watching 'videos'. The quote thing failed (am blaming the quote thing of course, and not my technical ineptitude )

Nope, I don't find that type of television entertaining.

Or particularly factual, well-researched, and often not even pertinent to UK food production practice. Which is why you should eat locally produced food, not food hauled halfway around the world.
Thanks for the edit.
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Anne View Post
I don't want to start anything. I just don't understand the waiting until January which is why I asked.
Anne, I am a hypocrite, a real one and I admit it. This Christmas after a rotten year, we will have a turkey, especially for my wondeful rescue dogs, but I am not so stupid I don't realise the suffering that goes along with it. I turn a blind eye. I admit it... if I didn't feel guilty what sort of person does that make me ?
Next year, I have decided I will not... nothing goes to its death easily and I will not be the person who thinks this is okay. Especially when I have seen what happens to these animals.

Hyprocrite I am, I admit it, but for me its not meat, its not food, its lives that I take for two minutes on my tongue and I am not going to continue with this.

x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

People always ask me about Xmas dinner - what will you have for Xmas Dinner?! We have roasts now, I just have everything apart from the meat and I can honestly say I dont miss it at all!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MillyMoo View Post
People always ask me about Xmas dinner - what will you have for Xmas Dinner?! We have roasts now, I just have everything apart from the meat and I can honestly say I dont miss it at all!
I Iove the parsnips, the roasties, the cabbage, the veg... my favourite now. xxx
Old 24 Nov 20, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Barmybuckle
Getting to know the DIBB

I Iove the parsnips, the roasties, the cabbage, the veg... my favourite now. xxx
Roast potatoes and stuffing are my favourite!
Barmybuckle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I totally agree, but I think its outta sight outta mind. That's why I want to go vegan in January. I have seen the videos, I have seen the way animals are treated, I have seen them go to slaughter fighting and screaming. I think its time we decide, if we want to eat meat, go and watch it from being born, how it was raised and how it was slaughtered. If you can eat the meat then... its your choice...… I so want to give up. They have heartbeats, families, love, feelings etc...… In other countries they kill dogs in the most horrendous ways and we are up in arms...… its no difference if its a cow, they are the most gentle creatures and the most abused. xx
I'm curious why you would wait until January is this is something that means that much to you?

As already posted, I saw a "field-to-plate" programme nearly 30 years ago and that was it there and then. I couldn't possibly have had five more weeks of eating meat, before implementing a decision that I'd made.

Edit: sorry, I've just seen you've just answered the same question.

Part One
Part Two

Edited at 08:04 PM.
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by MillyMoo View Post
If I'm being lazy - and I mean that about any roast dinner, not just Christmas dinner - then I'll throw a Quorn roast in the oven.

I don't mind meaty textures at all, but I know many veggies steer clear of meat substitutes.

If I'm not being lazy I'll make something like a mushroom wellington.

Regardless, with roast potatoes, parsnips, Yorkshires, cauliflower cheese, stuffing and the other vegetables I have, it's still a meal I enjoy very much!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

I don't feel guilty but I'm very particular about the welfare standards of my meat and animal produce. So I keep my own hens because I can give them better welfare standards than free range hens kept commercially. At the end of the week I'll get my quarter bullock for the freezer that will be all our beef for the year, and it was raised two villages away so I know it was well looked after. I get a half pig from a work colleague and a lamb from a friend every year for the same reason. I often order vegetarian in restaurants, otherwise I'm that woman who asked where everything came from 🤣
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Barmybuckle View Post
There's a big difference between religious beliefs and facts.

You're right that buying other products, including plant based food/vegan products are possibly also causing suffering and death of humans all over the world. However, there's a difference between buying a steak that we know for sure caused suffering and death, and buying broccoli that might have caused suffering and death.

Have you ever seen footage from a slaughterhouse? Or how a dairy cow gets impregnated/raped and then has her calf taken away from her? It's disgusting, and I don't believe the vast majority of us would be able to do it.
That's lovely.

I've made my choice and I'm happy with it.

My friend is a trained inseminator for cows, I'm sure he'll be amused to be called a rapist.

Take a step back and feel great about your choices, please stop trying to impose your choices on others. You will get the opposite reaction to what you expect.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread