Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Nov 20, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Sky package questions

Hi all,

My stepdad is coming up this afternoon as I’ve told him I will try to help him sort out his tv/broadband/phone packages.

As many of you know, we sadly lost my mum two weeks ago and she sorted all the bills for them both. I’d been telling her for years that she was paying well over the odds for her tv etc (she has had phone/broadband/btsports with BT, & the basic sky plus with sky sports with sky & has never renegotiated in her life so costs for both have just gone up and up).

Sadly mum was too tired and poorly over the last twelve months to let me help her, but I want to help my stepdad to get things all ‘under one roof’ as hopefully that will save him some money now he’s on his own?

I think Sky are terrific (sadly we had to leave them as the broadband was poor in our area), but I’m hoping the broadband where my mum lived is better (her BT service is rubbish, but equally I suspect she’s got the same basic one she’s had for years!)

My question is - can we ring up Sky today & just sort it all out in my stepdads name? (He keeps getting a warning flashing up on his tv that his package will end soon as mums accounts have all been frozen so Sky know there is no payment method from next month). Or do we need death certificates? (We haven’t for other utilities as my stepdad has just taken over all the bills).

Also can I check somehow what broadband connection is best in his road? (I don’t want to make his signal worse by changing suppliers!)

Sorry to ask, I just am hoping to make this as easy as possible for us both later on as it’s a stressful time already.

Many thanks xx
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Duchy on here is the expert for this.

I now what I would be doing though and that would be to start a brand new contract with Step Dad as the customer and use every promo I could get my hands on.
For example Quidco are doing up to £130 cashback as a starter for ten.

Before any of that though I would do a dummy booking on Sky to see what he needs and what the costs are before you go in to bat and start the conversation about discounts.

With regards to the signal strength for Broadband if he is on a BT wire no matter who you use the strength will be the same. Fibre is different though.

Best of luck

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 09:08 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

So sorry to hear of your loss.
Your story sounds similar to ours when my wifes mother passed away. My FIL controlled all the bills but was obviously paying way over the top. My wife sorted Sky out over the phone and reduced his bill by half whereas I resolved his phone and insurances. He never had Internet connection but surprisingly it was cheaper to take a package with broadband then without.

For your stepdad maybe ask Sky to consider him as a new customer to get the offers but you would then lose his Sky VIP status.

For broadband comparison I would look at Money Saving Expert. I think there's a broadband speed checker there where you just enter the postcode.

Good luck.
Old 27 Nov 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Turtles
Proud to wear my Ears

We phoned Sky yesterday and spoke to a very helpful guy he worked in the department 'changes to the package' and changed everything over the phone. We have changed to Signature package we have Sky sport HD and telephone and broadband managed to reduce our price by £20 per month.
Turtles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Sky use BT open reach for broadband so the signal will be the same

Your Step Father will have to speak with them to give you permission to enter into a contract - you can do that in one call by passing the phone back and forth

I have just changed accounts and they assistant I spoke to was very good /remarkable and offered me an exceptional deal where I have a much better package and Sky Q for a fraction I had been paying. (And sky fibre but again through Openreach) - I would look at offers online but sort of ignore them as you will be able to drive a better deal chatting to them I am sure
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Thank you everyone- that’s so helpful! Off to get investigating now xx
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Thank you everyone- that’s so helpful! Off to get investigating now xx

Amy you need to speak to accessabity , advise them your Mum has passed and they will move the account into your step dad’s name and then sort out all the new offers (they will also be much easier to get through to than the offers team today who will be Black Friday busy)
Today is a great day to do it as there are some good Black Friday prices .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

The deals are the same for existing customers as new customers nowadays so with the loss of VIP it’s not the best advice anymore (although it certainly used to be )

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
So sorry to hear of your loss.
Your story sounds similar to ours when my wifes mother passed away. My FIL controlled all the bills but was obviously paying way over the top. My wife sorted Sky out over the phone and reduced his bill by half whereas I resolved his phone and insurances. He never had Internet connection but surprisingly it was cheaper to take a package with broadband then without.

For your stepdad maybe ask Sky to consider him as a new customer to get the offers but you would then lose his Sky VIP status.

For broadband comparison I would look at Money Saving Expert. I think there's a broadband speed checker there where you just enter the postcode.

Good luck.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Amy you need to speak to accessabity , advise them your Mum has passed and they will move the account into your step dad’s name and then sort out all the new offers (they will also be much easier to get through to than the offers team today who will be Black Friday busy)
Today is a great day to do it as there are some good Black Friday prices .
Thank you so much Duchy, I was hoping you’d reply xx