Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Nov 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Tesh11
Serious Dibber

Mobile Holiday makers not wanted by locals?!

We have come away for a long weekend to the Jurassic coast where we’ve been many times before it’s such a beautiful place and we’ve had a wonderful time however something happened today that made me wonder how locals view us in their small community, we were at Lyme Regis walking down from the car park to the beach, myself DH, ds8 and our dog my son stood on the gate as my husband opened it and then swung it closed/open a few times pretending it was a “little ride” harmless family fun we thought?! Well as we carried on walking down the hill a man walking towards us probably in his 60s with a dog said “are you going to pay for that when it brakes?” We laughed as we thought he was joking, he then repeated himself in a much angrier tone, my husband told him to “get a life” he then said “show some respect, you people come here and show no respect” my husband then said “wow I was just having fun with my son” he then started saying “come on then” as if to start getting physical, we started walking away and he’s shouting after us swearing constantly calling my dh an f-ing b-ard and so on, I then said politely “that’s not acceptable language to use in front of a child which seemed to make him worse we could still hear him swearing at us while we walked down the hill! Anyway I don’t want to say it ruined our day because it didn’t but it has been a bit on all our minds today, I’ve never been spoke to like that (maybe I’ve lived a sheltered life!) I can only think this man has a real bee in his bonnet about holiday makers coming to his home and being disrespectful, I thought we helped the local community?! We honestly couldn’t be a more respectful family we teach our so to be considerate to others and the the environment, so much so he has a couple of time picked up rubbish from the beach this weekend as he worries it harmful to the fishes!
Tesh11 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

You'll always get one, I expect the gate was fairly substantial and not a flimsy on on someone's driveway.
No need for the language in front of a child.
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tesh11
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
You'll always get one, I expect the gate was fairly substantial and not a flimsy on on someone's driveway.
No need for the language in front of a child.
It was a solid gate it’s a newly built walkway to the beach not on private property, can’t see we did anything wrong at all. Need to let it go over my head but this kind of thing bothers me!
Tesh11 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Blimey how rude! We live in a seaside village with all year visitors. Thankfully never had any issues here. The visitors have enabled both my children to get jobs. We have however encountered less than friendly locals while on holiday in Cornwall. The vast majority were friendly but one small area we got a more than frosty reception everywhere we went.
Old 3 Nov 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post

miserable seasider local , got to love em

i wouldnt spare a 2nd thought on it, of course he doesnt want tourists, he is in his 60's, retired and will not care about local shops that need tourists
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

We live in a small Kent seaside town. We aren't very far from London and in the summer we have loads of Londoners visiting. They are known locally as DFLs (Down From Londoners). We don't mind as they are spending money whilst here. The shopkeepers are grateful as the winter can be a very quiet time. The vast majority of the tourists are very friendly, although we do have a problem with rubbish left on the beach but that could also be left by the locals.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you get some people in rural areas who really don't like 'outsiders'. In my village, which isn't touristy but commutible to London, there are a few people who resent people moving in from out of the area, they feel it pushes up house prices but don't understand the shops and pubs wouldn't survive without an increased population.

I imagine there are people in tourist areas who don't like tourists but I imagine they're a minority.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

Very rude indeed - although got to say I wouldn't do that on somebody else’s gate x

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Mobile

There is always one, grumpy old man, I live in a busy summer tourist area, and my 2 sons have good weekend work because of the tourists.
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

riding on a gate that does not belong to you is a bit disrespectful though... if everybody does it it will deteriorate quicker - I suppose he could have put it better...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List