Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Nov 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
ozzyowl1
Apprentice Imagineer

University halls stay or go?

So my son went off to London 3/10 as his uni insisted campus would be open. He spent 2 hours on campus before everything moved online!
He is now stuck with paying £220 per week rent for his halls while not even living there as he decided he wanted to come home before the start of 2nd lockdown and spend it here!
While I don't dispute the need for online teaching at the moment, I just wish a decision had been made before term started as so many students are in the same boat having committed to paying for accommodation. He has six flatmates and only one has stayed! Students end up with so much debt after three years anyway, this just adds insult to injury in my book! Sorry just needed a rant!
ozzyowl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It’s all a bit rubbish isn’t it, we must of spent £500 making dds uni room looking nice plus the actual rent to live there. She’s home because couldn’t stay during lockdown after many issues, looks like she will here till Jan at least. She hasn’t had a good experience so far, she doesn’t really have friends in halls and her other friends are home as well! I wish it was different but not much we can do
Old 14 Nov 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Are they not giving you money back or deferred payment . Lots of uni are
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ozzyowl1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
It’s all a bit rubbish isn’t it, we must of spent £500 making dds uni room looking nice plus the actual rent to live there. She’s home because couldn’t stay during lockdown after many issues, looks like she will here till Jan at least. She hasn’t had a good experience so far, she doesn’t really have friends in halls and her other friends are home as well! I wish it was different but not much we can do
No you're right we can't do anything My son is exactly the same, he hasn't met anyone on his course yet and has only briefly met his flatmates. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they get to go back in January and things improve for them x
ozzyowl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ozzyowl1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Are they not giving you money back or deferred payment . Lots of uni are
No unfortunately not, my son's university is in London and as most London Unis don't have their own halls, he's in private halls, who frankly couldn't care less if he's there or not they just want their rent!
Old 14 Nov 20, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I can see why you are frustrated. It's not like that everywhere... the uni I work at has been delivering on campus teaching the entire time and will be continuing right until the final day we are allowed to. I teach 1st year UGs and they are all having a good time and getting to know one another. I am doing one-to-one tutorials with them at the minute and the general consensus is that they are happy that they are here and definitely see it as preferable to having stayed at home and studied online.

The accommodation issue is a difficult one, but at the end of the day they are adults taking out a contract, just like someone who has moved to a new city to take on a job but then decided to come home during lockdown. As I say though, I can totally appreciate your frustration with the overall circumstance.
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I think anyone who didn’t defer must have known this year was going to be a strange one .
I honestly think had I had a child due to start this year I’d have done anything I could to persuade them to defer if staying in halls.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
ozzyowl1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I think anyone who didn’t defer must have known this year was going to be a strange one .
I honestly think had I had a child due to start this year I’d have done anything I could to persuade them to defer if staying in halls.
We were well aware it would be a strange year yes. As for persuading him to defer - what would he have done with the year then? A meaningful gap year would have been impossible with travel restrictions in place and getting a job at the moment is also difficult with little experience, so he would just be wasting the year IMO!
Things could be a lot worse so I’m trying to look on the bright side but think I’m entitled to have a moan occasionally as he’s not getting the experience he deserves but is still paying a huge amount of money for it - or rather I am!
Old 15 Nov 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
ozzyowl1
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for your reply, I’m glad to hear that some students are getting the full experience - that’s what we were hoping for! Fingers crossed we are in a better position in the new year.
Old 15 Nov 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

My experience of uni was also “different” although, obviously not the same as going through it in a pandemic.

I got glandular fever just over a month before I started university and my first year was quite miserable. Post-viral fatigue meant I was in bed by 9pm every night (not the Freshers experience I had hoped for!) and I only made a couple of friends in my first year.

Thankfully as time went on I got quite a lot better and from the 2nd year onwards I really enjoyed it.

As I said, I know the situation is different, but hopefully if things improve next year then your son will also have a better experience. It’s fine to have a moan, it’s hard when things don’t go as hoped or expected and 2020 has definitely been extreme for that!
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List