Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Sep 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
And here is the problem, buying a TV now is a complex choice if you want to future proof yourself.

There is currently a standards war going on both in HDR technology and in the technology for displays.

Many get fooled by Samsung who make eye burningly bright, but black poor TVs with their QLED technology that only support their HDR10+ format and not Dolby which the likes of Netflix had got behind.

You really need to be getting a TV which supports both formats.

There are also new players on the block who are making better TV's than some of the established players for a lot less money. This has been driven by the consolidation of panel makers over the years to remove the difference there and shifted the focus to processing the image and user experience of the interface.

Then of course you have those who really don't care and pictures have got more than good enough at a basic level and price is everything. Nothing wrong with that end of the scale either if it suits you
So in a nutshell, what TV would you recommend?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Interesting stuff, as we thought about a new TV this weekend, primarily to move the living room TV up to my son's bedroom.

@400ixl - what would you recommend for, say, £500-600 in the c50" size right now?

I'm also a Sony man - I've just always had Sony TVs. I don't care about Android OS, speed and apps as we use an AppleTV for all that kind of jazz.
If the smart features are not of concern then I would prioritize the support of Dolby and HDR10+ formats which rules out Samsung and some others.

It would then be whether you can get an OLED over LCD or LED.

Not needing smart features also removes some of the issues the Sony has in that area but I would still avoid as they could be stuck not getting future updates.

I do like the ambilight feature in the Philips TV's so this would be worth considering. If this isn't a feature you would like then I would probably look at the LG range for the slightly better refresh rates.

For that size and price range you will probably be looking at an LED unless there is a good discount on an OLED in the prime day sale or black Friday sales coming up.

The blue failed backlight problem is known with LED panel made by LG but as most manufacturers use the same panels you can't really avoid the risk, but it is low and provided you have a decent warranty you would be covered. The more expensive OLED's don't appear to be seeing this issue so far.

I would really look to see if you can up the budget a little and see if an OLED comes down in price to meet it in the sales coming up.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
If the smart features are not of concern then I would prioritize the support of Dolby and HDR10+ formats which rules out Samsung and some others.

It would then be whether you can get an OLED over LCD or LED.

Not needing smart features also removes some of the issues the Sony has in that area but I would still avoid as they could be stuck not getting future updates.

I do like the ambilight feature in the Philips TV's so this would be worth considering. If this isn't a feature you would like then I would probably look at the LG range for the slightly better refresh rates.

For that size and price range you will probably be looking at an LED unless there is a good discount on an OLED in the prime day sale or black Friday sales coming up.

The blue failed backlight problem is known with LED panel made by LG but as most manufacturers use the same panels you can't really avoid the risk, but it is low and provided you have a decent warranty you would be covered. The more expensive OLED's don't appear to be seeing this issue so far.

I would really look to see if you can up the budget a little and see if an OLED comes down in price to meet it in the sales coming up.
Nice one - thanks - I'll do some researching!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

I have a LG OLED set and it gives stunning picture but oh the screen burn you can get with static logo etc
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
I have a LG OLED set and it gives stunning picture but oh the screen burn you can get with static logo etc
You have to be doing something very wrong to get burn in on a modern OLED TV. Unless you watch one channel all day everyday (10 hours plus) or have the brightness too high and ignore all of the system requests to do preventative maintenance.

Used normally, the risk is really quite low, but is always a risk. It was a higher risk in the earlier days of LCD and probably more of a risk in the LED's.

One of the considerations with OLED is how bright the room is it will be used in. If it is a very bright room and you will have to turn the brightness on the TV right up to compete, then OLED isn't the right technology for you. Its one of the few times I would say QLED may be a better option.

OLED's are all about blackness and real world colours. In this configuration burn in should not be an issue.

If you are seeing burn in then I would start by looking at how you have it set up.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think you need to look on the AVForum website as see "how low the risk is for Screen burn" there is over 585 pages of customers talking about Screen Burn and image retention on OLED's... I have a 4 year old LG OLED E6 3d TV cost me £3000 and has had a screen replaced after 2 years and now that screen has burn in today ... no gaming just regular TV watching ... now LG don't supply the screen for my TV anymore and have offered me a "voucher" towards another LG OLED TV

avforums/forums/lg-tvs-forum.91/

Edited at 09:15 PM.
kevbrydon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Have been a member of AVForums for years.

The problem tends to be more prevailant in the US where the station logos are much more common and many leave TV's on one channel for tens of hours on very high brightness.

Thankfully in the UK they are moving away from fixed logos on many channels.

I have had OLED's for years both as TV's and phones. It has been fairly easy to avoid burn in even after 5 years of managed properly.

Most people who suffer just have it set up wrong and often too brightly. If you need it to be bright to over power the light in a room an OLED was the wrong technology for you.

Set up many OLED's for friends and not one has had burn in. It can happen but in most cases it is avoidable.
Old 5 Oct 20, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
GMB logo...Sky News or BBC News bar along the bottom of the Screen... I agree that its not common but to say that people have suffered because they set up their TV wrong is not correct...most people would just use the TV with settings that are straight out of the Box... and OLED should be fine to use in general straight out of the Box... I never once played around with settings just used the preset options by the Manufacturer ...I was spoilt by my Pioneer Kuro Plasma that lasted 11 years and never suffered from Screen Burn or image retention ... even the Panasonic HZ2000 costing over £3000 today are getting sent back because of problems with tint colours... and they are a LG Oled Screen and then developed further by Panasonic engineers and film creators to give the best possible picture quality ever as you will know on AVForums...

Edited at 12:57 PM.
kevbrydon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List