Old 21 Aug 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
One mad woman and her dog, NC500 Aug 2020 - day 7 Ullapool to Lochcarron

I wake up just before my alarm at 7.30. Didn’t hear a peep out of the hound last night. He’s definitely now a hotel kinda dog.
Pack everything up which is so much easier with the car parked right outside. Then I drive round for breakfast. I’m not really hungry but I do my best.

I nip to Tesco to get some car snacks and a birthday card for my niece, £8.80, then join the queue for the petrol station on the way out of the village. I decide to fill up just in case which comes to £21.23 at 119.8p.
We set off, and our first stop is the Corrieshalloch gorge which has an incredible suspension bridge. We have a wander about and snap some photos, then back to the car for us.

It’s then a detour to Mellon Udringle beach, this is up a single track road, I start to wonder if I have gone wrong, but I get there and it’s beautiful. Max charges around and swims for ages.

I had noticed a field of sheep when we arrived, but what I stupidly hadn’t noticed was the field had no fences. I turned round and Max was nose to nose with a rather large ram with horns bigger than me. They were just looking at each other. I screeched and grabbed him quick and we toddle back off to the car and back on the road.

There are some famous gardens at Inverewe which sound fab, but we can’t take dogs in so we didn’t stop.

About a mile or two before the village of Gairloch I hear some funny noises (followed by a funny smell) from the back seat. I quickly turn round and see a sea of vomit. Now anyone who knows me knows that I can deal with all the poo in the world, but I’m terrible with vomit. I think it’s a belly full of sea water as normally he has a gut of iron. I quickly find a petrol station and pull in, finding somewhere to tie poor Max up I try to deal with the back seat. I throw the towel straight in the bin which caught most of it, but it’s everywhere and he clearly is feeling really poorly and I can’t set off yet. Leaving him tied up in the shade with some water I take the opportunity to jet wash the car as it’s covered in bird poo and he eats his body weight in grass, then throws it all back up again. Feeling safe enough to set off, we literally make it to the next parking stop, and we limp on like this for some time. We get to the Victoria falls car park, and a short walk seems to do him a bit of good. The falls are lovely, but it’s very very midgey.

A little further on we reach the shores of Loch Maree. It’s a lot less midgey here, so I sit on a rock next to the car, and he just potters about eating grass and paddling his feet in the water, and he seems to be a bit better. So we set off properly again.

We reach Torridon and decide not to stop for a drink, but plod on. The roads get very narrow but it’s incredibly beautiful.

Arriving at our destination for the night, Lochcarron, I have a drive through the village, then head off to a tartan shop called Lochcarron weavers. I was looking for cushions or maybe a rug, but I end up buying DH a lovely woollen jumper that’s on sale at £40, guessed the sizes so fingers crossed.

I decide to leave the ruins of Strome castle for the morning, so we drive back to the Loch, and I spot a fish and chip van. I’ve had no lunch with vomit gate, so I just get a portion of chips, and I eat them on a bench looking out over the Loch, but then the rain starts so we go check in.

Now I must say the reviews of this place were terrible. But it was cheap, dog friendly and right where we needed to be, so I decided to take it with a pinch of salt.

I’m glad I did, the room does look a little dated, but it’s clean, very friendly and I’m on the ground floor.

My room in Ullapool last night was dated too but cost £95, today was £55. I give him some water and a nap (but no tea as yet which causes some consternation) then we wander next door to the bar/restaurant when he has had a good rest.

The food looks fab. An older lady with her son orders the special of ribs, and I’m sold. I order a leek and goats cheese tart followed by the ribs, the food is a little dear, the starter alone is £9, but we are very remote and it is very tasty.

I would normally have had a helper with the ribs, but I didn’t dare, so I got a lot of incredulous puppy stares. Instead a tiny portion of dry dog biscuits for him, and a glass of wine for me from the car, and an early night again.

Miles travelled in a car - 130
Amount spent - £73.93

Edited at 10:20 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Gorgeous beaches and beautiful views aplenty today. Poor Max, being so ill. And poor you, having to deal with it in the confines of the car.

Your meal at night looks lovely, if a little expensive and the room seems very spacious. I hope Max feels better in the morning.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Have been enjoying your trip reports. We visited that area years ago - great beaches. The Inverewe are worth a visit.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Love your photos,even in the rain !
Love*my*hols is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Love*my*hols View Post
Love your photos,even in the rain !
No rain that day, just a bit grey in places 😂
Old 22 Aug 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Have been enjoying your trip reports. We visited that area years ago - great beaches. The Inverewe are worth a visit.
I’m building a list of places I had to miss for if I ever go back 🥰
Old 22 Aug 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Gorgeous beaches and beautiful views aplenty today. Poor Max, being so ill. And poor you, having to deal with it in the confines of the car.

Your meal at night looks lovely, if a little expensive and the room seems very spacious. I hope Max feels better in the morning.
Thankfully he’s feeling a lot better! Gave me a bit of a scare, especially being so far away from home
Old 22 Aug 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Oh poor Max (and poor you). I had a similar situation with a child lol... not fun!

So pleased Max recovered and you managed to carry on. Some amazing beaches on the West coast and Loch Carron really is lovely

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Poor Max (and you for having to clear it up) glad he recovered quickly.

Loch Maree looks so beautiful! You did a lot each day, and have had some great meals too. Hope DH liked his jumper. 😊

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List