Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jun 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile Doggy flea treatments.

Poor old doggy had been under the weather all yesterday, barely moved off her bed had 2 smackos all day (only thing mom could tempt her with) and no drink.

She had her flea and tick treatment the day before which is bravecto. She has been taking bravecto for a year and always is off the day after but. It to this extent.

Does anyone give this to their dog and does it cause any problems?
Thanks
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I don’t give my dogs Bravecto, but my dog Merlin had a reaction to a few treatment a few years ago. He had neurological symptoms and it was terrible. We haven’t used flea treatments since. I check my dogs for fleas and if I saw one I would deal with it, but otherwise I don’t bother.

Unless your dog has a problem with fleas, consider whether a preventative is really needed, and if it is look at natural alternatives. There are so many stories about adverse reactions to Bravecto, Frontline, Advantage... the list goes on.
Old 7 Jun 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Haven't got a dog but my cat had a reaction to it. Will never use it again. I've heard so many bad things about it that has shocked me.
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

It's a combined flea and tick one. And a separate wormer chew.

The fleas are not so much a problem but she spends an awful lot of time in long grass as she has free roam with access to a paddock with very long grass so the worry is ticks and worms. We all know how grubby dogs are for eating yucky things.

Mom will contact the vet if she hasn't improved tomorrow. She is picking her ears up this morning and had a drink so that's better.
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

This is interesting, I don't have a dog but have 3 cats. They all had bravecto plus one cat always fought me when I put it on him. I thought it was because he is a stray and can have a bit of a temper. However last time I used it he had a bad skin reaction to it so I gave him an alternative suggested by the vets and he didn't move a muscle when I put it on. Reading this thread is making me question whether I should change treatment for all three of them.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

My dog had a severe allergic reaction to Bravecto, she was foaming at the mouth and very ill. She is quite a allergic little girl anyway, but this was awful. I tried a natural product yesterday and this didn’t agree with her either. I’m going to phone my vet tomorrow.
Old 7 Jun 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

She eats the chews without much bother usually and she ight be a bit sorry for herself for a few hours but not usually into a 2nd day

Mom has said she had been drinking and eaten some chicken so hopefully looking better.
Old 7 Jun 20, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dietcokebreak
slightly serious Dibber

I don’t give mine bravecto any more either. My adult male spinone used to refuse to take it so we used to trick him into taking it (as you do). Last year he was really itchy, chewing his feet, you couldn’t touch him without him squirming 🙁 vet said it was allergies to “something” but definitely wouldn’t be the bravecto. We went the steroid route, Apoquel, hypoallergenic food etc etc
Long and short of it is after a year of being off bravecto he is finally back to his normal self. Eating the same food he was on before, no medication. Vets still say it wouldn’t have been linked but i am convinced. 🙁
dietcokebreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tiggertastic View Post
The fleas are not so much a problem but she spends an awful lot of time in long grass as she has free roam with access to a paddock with very long grass so the worry is ticks and worms. We all know how grubby dogs are for eating yucky things.
You can get natural worming products, or our groomer swears by a teaspoon of pumpkin seeds with each meal, and occasional testing of poop with Worm Count, to check. Wormers don't work for the period they say on the packet, so your dog could have worms a couple of weeks after the treatment is given.

For ticks, giving your dog a careful once over after a walk in long grass, and keeping a tick remover to hand, will solve that problem.
Old 7 Jun 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

I'll tell mom. See how she is doing, if no brighter she will call the vets.

The thing is she has free roam so could easily go into long grass and us not know. But she could be checked. Not sure how confident she would be removing ticks though as you have to remove the whole thing?

Thanks

Edited at 09:05 PM.