Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Sep 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Best walks ( 2-6 miles ) near you

I have a bucket list idea for when I am retired .
To get a motor home or camper van ,
Then set off round the country taking in a football game in each of the 92 English league clubs in a single season.
But we need stuff to do in between the matches !

So I am looking for walks that me and my missus could do .
In theory we would be covering all quarters of England so nowhere is off limits

Basically anything between 2 and about 6 miles that isn’t too demanding . We are casual walkers not hikers but would want to take advantage of seeing a whole load of areas we have never been before.

So be it woodland , canal or riverside , quaint villages , by historical landmarks , beaches , cliffs or city walks , all ideas welcome .

I will bookmark and come back to this at the appropriate time but am hoping that the ideas may appeal to a whole load of people across the country - I don’t recall a thread about English walks before .

It doesn’t have to be near a football ground . We will have to travel between grounds and in any event will want to explore on the days off rather than just go from ground to ground

Oh and of course South Wales needs to be included

Thanks for any responses

Edit - what the hell , let’s expand it to the whole of Great Britain . There is nothing stopping us doing all the Scottish league clubs the following season ! And of course this thread isn’t all about me , I would like to think it might be useful for others wanting to find some good walks
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 09:42 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

If you plan to watch a match in Liverpool you could get the ferry to the Seacombe ferry terminal , walk the promenade to New Brighton with the views of the Liverpool skyline. Then catch the underground train from New Brighton back to Liverpool. I'd say the walk is approx 3 miles and relatively flat.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Mobile

Cardiff Bay

sustrans.uk/find-a-r...iff-bay-trail/
Easter 06 Calabay Parc/Vero Beach
Easter 07 Sunset Lakes/RPR Trippy
Hallowe'en 07 Sunset Lakes/HRH ~ Hallowe'en 08 Highlands Reserve & HRH
Xmas 09 - Bella Vida/HRH/Pop Trippy
Jul 2010 Bella Vida & RPR Photos
OKW & Bahama Bay for Christmas 2012
Summer 2015 ~ Cabana Bay & Terre Verde Sept 2016 -- Solo @ Pop / BWV / Sapphire Falls

Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Now this might June st show how ignorant of football I am
If watching Carlisle or do you just go to the football a short hop over or on the border there are some amazing walks caravan sites
A amazing but little Know gem even if you are not religious in any way St Andrews on the Esk a lovely walk and a beautiful small perfect place the Langholm Moore’s currently the town hoping to buy out the Duke of Becleuche some fantastic easy walks
NewCastleton and the copsureholm ( I pad hates the right spelling )
You won’t be disappointed honest
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Pembrokeshire Coastal Path is definitely worth visiting if you were coming to Wales. The football link would be Swansea

Edited at 11:52 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
If you fancy a North Yorkshire trip - there is plenty of walks in Scarborough . Coastal and even more getting into the North York Moors too (fab railway to save too much walking) but will allow exploration in the van greater than imagined!

Football League route could take in Hull/ Middlesboro and Leeds - Would be proud to take you to a Scarborough game - just to show what can happen after a previous football league club rises from the ashes

What a great bucket list dream

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

If you ever make it to the Isle of Man, you can take the electric railway to the top of Snaefell, our only mountain, and on a clear day you can see the 7 kingdoms. From there, you can walk down the upper part of Snaefell and take a public footpath which goes past the old Snaefell Mines (which closed followed a disaster) and through the Laxey valley into Laxey village, where there are some good options for tea and cake. It’s 10km, but pretty much all downhill.
Old 13 Sep 20, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

getsurrey/whats-on...orest-16950685

The Ashdown Forrest Winnie the Pooh walks are near us.

The football link would be Brighton.

Edited at 08:57 AM.
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

What a super idea for a bucket list

For Nottingham have a search for the Nottingham Circular walk. It takes in the City Ground, Trent Embankment, Attenborough Nature Reserve (named after Sir Richard), Bramcote, Wollaton Hall Park and Gardens (The hall from the Batman movies with Christian Bale) and then back through the canal tow paths. A really good long walk but you can finish out at the Market Square for a photo with our Brian Clough statue.

Bring a caravan and pitch up between Notts and Derbys for Sherwood Forest, Belvoir Castle, Chatsworth House, Derbyshire Peak District plus others

I suppose you can call in at Derbys ground too 😂

Edited at 12:06 AM.
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 05:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Golitha falls, St Cleer near Liskeard, cornwall. Only just found this myself. Lovely scenic walk and great place to eat, entry and parking free!

Edited at 05:19 AM.
Bootrip2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List