Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Sep 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

Need job advice

Hi everyone please could you provide a little outside perspective as I'm really not sure what to do.
So the situation is this. I have a second interview this week for a good role playing more money than I get now and that would expand my experience. The issue is it's a 12mth contract.
I am currently full time permanent in a good role that I've developed over my tenure there.it seems pretty secure at the moment but even if they made me redundant I'd have several years payment.
So do I risk the move for the money and experience or do I stay put?
The new job sounds great and the people seem super nice.
What do I do?
Hermione is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Normally I’d say go for it but job security is worth quite a bit in the current climate so I’m not sure I’d take the risk currently.
Old 27 Sep 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Job security is the most important thing at the moment... I wouldn't take that risk after I've just been made redundant 🙄
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

Thanks very much. I get excited and forget to be sensible that's how I ended up in Florida five times in four years and still need a new kitchen.🤭
Old 27 Sep 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

It’s a hard choice especially in the current climate
Normally I would have said go for the new job and a new challenge, but at the moment I’d probably stay where I was.
My DD & my cousin are both being made redundant from what they thought were forever jobs.

Edited at 02:57 PM. Reason: Addition
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Redundancy is only a week’s pay for every year worked
The future stability of both companies matter, you might be better off with a 12 month contract with a firm more likely to weather the recession
If the new role opens up better career progression that’s a consideration.
Security is worth a lot but shouldn’t be the only consideration.
There’s no right answer, just what is right for you.
I’d go for the interview and if offered the position be honest and say you are hesitating accepting due to the one year contract and see what they say. The worst that could happen is they offer as is, the best they like you enough to offer permanent , either way you lose nothing.

Edited at 03:05 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

I've got contractual redundancy not just statutory, in what is a stable industry - things that everyone needs - think toilet roll. The new role is in an industry that is the first to contract in poor economic conditions and that I've been made redundant from before. It's not the money that tempts me, it's the upskilling. Thanks for being a sounding board I do appreciate it. Some good points here😁
Old 27 Sep 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by CAD View Post
If you don’t mind me saying it sounds like you’ve made your mind up. Trust your instincts.
Yes I think I have 😉. I think I just needed to hear someone say that playing it safe isn't a bad thing at this juncture. I was excited about a new opportunity but I've got a good thing going where I am too and it's good because I made it good.
Old 27 Sep 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

It’s always nice to be wanted, and you have proven that you have transferable skills and in a tough job situation you are very employable ... that said, I would stay where you are and continue to develop and expand that in a way that suits you. 😀
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

Most jobs nowadays start with a 6 or 12 month contract. It gives your employer time to make sure you are suitable for the job.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List