Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Jun 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
globedust
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile New house smell help

We moved into our new house on 10th June, discovering I was pregnant the day after. I am having a yucky time with nausea and sickness and the smell of the previous owners is really setting me off. The owner used to use lots of Reed diffusers, air fresheners instead of cleaning and so the lingering smell is those perfumes mixed with an underlying dirtiness. The worst is the kitchen which has this sour note we cannot figure out. I am at the end of my tether with it...I can’t even use the kitchen and am spending as little time in the house as possible to avoid the sickness. We have done the usual cleaning (bleaching the kitchen even), opened windows etc but nothing has worked. Can anyone please suggest any ideas? I know it’s a long shot as it may take simply be a case of time but it is making me feel miserable at a time I should be excited. Thanks.
globedust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Is the ceiling matt emulsion paint?

Sounds weird but they absorb smells badly. Get somebody to get on a hop up and have a sniff. May need a few coats of paint to get shot of it.
Otherwise I would say you have damp somewhere.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

It could be in the carpets. If you have inherited any carpets can you afford to change them.
Old 29 Jun 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

We used powdered charcoal in saucers around the house to soak up the smells when our freezer gave up the ghost. We were in Florida for 3 weeks and as soon as I opened the front door the stench hit me. 🤢 Tried everything but the only thing that worked was the powdered charcoal. I got it from e bay.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mooray27
Excited about Disney

Change the flooring and paint if you can afford it. If you can’t then deep wash the flooring and wash the walls. Good luck!
mooray27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I would agree that changing flooring and painting everywhere is the best way to get rid of lingering smells.
The first house we bought had an awful smell, it was like the house had soaked up the smell! 🤮
We ended up ripping up the carpets and wooden floor, there were bad stains underneath and we re painted everywhere.
If this is too costly at the moment could you get some industrial cleaners in, they go to student accommodations etc when tenants leave ready for the new batch.
Aw the kick boards in the kitchen removable? If so clean behind there.

I have heard that if you cut open an onion and leave it in a room it absorbs smells. Not sure how true that is.
Good luck and congratulations 💕
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Are you in first trimester? If so from my experience there will always be some smell that upsets you, mine was a cleaning fluid I had always liked before. I'd go for the charcoal option before anything drastic. Good luck x
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Are you in first trimester? If so from my experience there will always be some smell that upsets you, mine was a cleaning fluid I had always liked before. I'd go for the charcoal option before anything drastic. Good luck x
I agree with this. I could smell all sorts of things when I was pregnant - I couldn’t open the fridge door without feeling nauseous as I could smell the rubber sealant around the door. It was so strong yet I never noticed this either before or after pregnancy.

When I was pregnant with my second son my first son was only one and still in nappies. I had to use a peg on my nose to change him.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

When we moved in to this house it was the same , the cleaning smells etc overpowered me for at least two/ three months and it never felt like "our house" it hindsight I would get cleaners in to give the house a one time deep clean.
we also took the lounge carpet up it looked clean but on removal it was very badly stained underneath.

To avoid overpowering chemicals have a look on the internet for natural air fresheners Pinterest is a good site to start.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List