Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Apr 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Photogirl62 View Post
Hope everyone safe and well? I’m getting a tad worried about our uni starters. A colleague’s husband is head of his department at Southampton Uni and they’ve been discussing options for autumn. They’ve been told to presume that there will be students physically at uni for autumn term as they believe the social distancing measures will be continued. So one option is to have online learning for autumn term for all students. The alternative is not to start the academic year until January and cram 3 terms work into 2 terms meaning a full summer term instead of an early finish as normally happens.
If either of these happen it will so disruptive for our uni starters. I’m just hoping things pan out better than expected and life can return to some normality.
A friend at another uni says they are also discussing starting Jan - but with the rest of that academic year as a foundation/catch up.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
My DD abruptly put down her firm/insurance choices on the day they announced that the schools would close and the exams were cancelled. Now we just have to wait to see what grades her school gives her.

Of course, if "predicted grades" really were the grades that teachers expected them to get based on previous assessments and all that, then they could just use those. Unfortunately, the "predicted" grades are anything but that (see my previous rant).

She's now applying for student finances and, I guess, will have to apply for accommodation.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
A friend at another uni says they are also discussing starting Jan - but with the rest of that academic year as a foundation/catch up.
So the spring and summer terms counting as year 1?
My colleague’s husband did say unis all across U.K. were in discussions for these plans
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
So the spring and summer terms counting as year 1?
My colleague’s husband did say unis all across U.K. were in discussions for these plans
I assume then it will add a year onto the course - a shorter year 1 and then the usual number of years after that?

How does that work with finance? Will they have to pay for an extra year's worth of finance (accommodation, course fees, etc)?

Plus my DD is probably going to be doing a course that's 4 years long - it has a placement year in year 3. Now it'll be 5 years long!

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I assume then it will add a year onto the course - a shorter year 1 and then the usual number of years after that?

How does that work with finance? Will they have to pay for an extra year's worth of finance (accommodation, course fees, etc)?

Plus my DD is probably going to be doing a course that's 4 years long - it has a placement year in year 3. Now it'll be 5 years long!
Yes my DD is already down to do a 4 year course and I had wondered about financing.

If it’s just a foundation year then they do year 1 - that means when they do year 1 there would also be the year below them doing year 1 so makes numbers of year 1 students double?

At the moment feeling gutted that our children might not get a whole year in halls with the usual freshers etc and experience that is a rite of passage for uni students
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

It’s started .. Manchester Uni have confirmed today that the autumn term is online only 😫 Presume this means all universities will follow suit. Am totally gutted for our children. This isn’t how they should starting uni.
Had a really bad day yesterday and am getting so depressed with everything surrounding this awful pandemic now. I’m starting to feel there is no way out.
Hope everyone is coping better than me and are all healthy and safe
Old 13 May 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s started .. Manchester Uni have confirmed today that the autumn term is online only 😫 Presume this means all universities will follow suit. Am totally gutted for our children. This isn’t how they should starting uni.
Had a really bad day yesterday and am getting so depressed with everything surrounding this awful pandemic now. I’m starting to feel there is no way out.
Hope everyone is coping better than me and are all healthy and safe
Where have you seen this please? There is nothing on their website ...

Sorry to hear you are feeling low, we will get through this
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

manchester.ac.uk/coronav...icants-update/
Old 13 May 20, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

It’s been posted on their FAQ section for 2020 entrants - about online lessons
Old 13 May 20, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you for the link but I don’t think I am quite reading it the same way as you ... I think they are referring to current teaching and on site activities such as Offer Holder Days.

Although Universities are having to think about scenarios come September, they are currently awaiting guidance from government which hasn’t been forthcoming yet.

Obviously it may still happen but I think you are jumping the gun a bit with this.

Take care and fingers crossed for some good news soon
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List