Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnyDuck
Serious Dibber

We're in South Yorkshire and pay £35 for 1 hour Maths tuition every week at our house.
DonnyDuck is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

A few of my daughters friends went to kit McGrath for English and maths. They all really benefited from it. We are going to start our son next year ready for his GCSE’s
It’s £35 for 90 mins
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My Daughter has just started her primary ed degree and she had a maths tutor. Worth every penny! She didn't get fantastic grades but she passed and that's all that's needed. Her uni required a pass and that's what she gave them. We paid £27 per hour.

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We are in central scotland and have a maths tutor for DD once a week, when she [and tutor] feels she needs it...so it varies from month to month really

Luckily she is a friend of a friend so doing it at £20 an hour... DD has improved and feels way more confident about the subject
Moz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracydcp
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m in the North West too and found my DS’s tutor through fb recommendations. We pay £25 for an hour and he comes once a fortnight.

April/May 2009, October 2011, May 2013, May 2015
August 2020 We’re going back!
Tracydcp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

I googled local tutors and lots came up with reference’s, or if your still lucky enough to get the free local paper delivered there’s sure to be some adverts in there, I wouldn’t pay over £30
Old 16 Jan 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lillie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We used Tutor Hunt too, paid £40 an hour for about 4 months between DD’s mock exams and actual exam. She went up by 2 grades in maths from mocks to exam, so it was money well spent for us.
Obviously we dont know exactly what she would have got grade wise without the tutor, but he definitely helped fill in the gaps in her knowledge and went over and over things until she understood it.
Good luck!
Old 16 Jan 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

DS has an hour a week and it’s £40.
It’s improved his confidence massively as he’d got to the point where he’d decided he couldn’t answer a question before he’d even properly digested it.
I found his tutor by word of mouth and was fortunate to get a space.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Dibbing with Tink

DD had a maths tutor last year to help in the run up to her GCSEs. I asked at her school for any recommendations and actually one of the teachers put themselves forward. This worked really well as she liaised with DDs actual maths teacher who helped direct the tutor on what DD needed to focus on. Tutoring cost £30 for a 1 hour lesson. To start with it was one session a fortnight, then closer to exams it increased to weekly and during the exams the tutor changed her days to coincide with the night before maths exams to do last minute revision. DD still only managed a grade 5 but was a strong 5 and went into the exams feeling more confident.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Our daughter seems to be struggling with Maths. She is being predicted a level 5 at the minute but is doing so much better in her other subjects. She is looking at primary teaching and we both feel her maths needs a boost.
Would anyone be able to recommend any particular websites to find someone? Are the school allowed to recommend anywhere ? Also if I find a tutor I wonder what sort of questions I should be asking to ensure suitability ? Obviously the other question is cost and how often would she see need to see the tutor ? We are in the North West and I was expecting £25/30- does this sound right ?

Thanks all.
I would recommend contacting your daughters present maths teacher, they will probably be able to suggest good quality tutors that they know students have used before, maybe retired teachers from the school? There are slight differences in the 3 exam boards that set maths exams, so make sure they are covering the relevant curriculum.
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List