Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jan 20, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Also be aware that the tax regime may be changing after Brexit for British non residents.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklepants
slightly serious Dibber

sparklepants's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Our school uses ReadWriteinc - it’s fantastic! The year our DS started school was the first year they used it. The teachers were delighted with how quickly the kids picked it up. I couldn’t believe how quickly my DS became familiar with his sounds. He’s 7 now and a really fluent reader and amazes me regularly with the words that he can read / sound out x
Old 17 Jan 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sas View Post
Good evening all
So we are thinking about buying a property in Spain we will want to rent it out so after opinions.
Should we buy a small villa in the middle of nowhere with at best a small plunge pool need a rental car
A 2 /3 bed apartment of a golf course that you will have to rent a car, one restaurant on site.
2/3 bed apartment in a town with bars/restaurants etc and can get taxi from airport under £50 , shared pool with bus ride from buzzing seaside.
Townhouse or apartment with rooftop but no pool and not near coast.
All opinions are welcome, I know there are 2 for me heart and head.
Thanks
SAS x

I live in Spain and although I am sure you have done all your homework re taxes and legalisation etc I feel it would be remiss if me not to give you some pointers. My second job here is selling houses, but not in an area of coastal tourism and definitely not in an area you are describing, so I have nothing to gain from the advice given.

Firstly, regardless of what Estate agents tell you not all properties are allowed to be rented out to a third party. New laws have been introduced since the rise of air bnb. You have to apply for a licence to rent as a holiday home and fulfil the appropriate criteria

From July 1st 2018 most of the booking sites will no longer allow unregistered properties to apply.

If you have registered without a First Occupation Licence and not applied for one, you could be fined up to 2,000 €.

Properties in a rural location (village with less than 20,000 inhabitants) who previously fell outside of the regulation for rural properties can now register as a VFT (Vivienda con Fines Turísticas)

spanishpropertyinsight.c...ay-rental-law/ This link will give you up to date rules and regulations. Bear in mind, this is Spain, rules are variable from city to city, village to village there is no “norm”

Taxes

You have to pay tax on any rental income and that includes a tax called “nrit” non rental imputed tax, you pay this whether you rent out or do not rent out

blog.abacoadvisers/tax-o...dent-in-spain/

agenciatributaria.gob.es...ini/GF00.shtml

Until the end of the transition agreement Spain has a tax treaty with the U.K. which means you do not pay in both countries BUT you have to declare your taxes in Spain even if you do not live here

Wills
Check out the rules re a will. The laws here in Spain will supersede any laws in the U.K. even if non resident with regards to the property.

Then there is Brexit which will have an impact on ownership and taxes, for instance at the moment as an EU citizen there are taxes payable for rental of properties of non-residents.
As a non-resident with property in Spain that you rent out, you are obliged to submit tax returns on a quarterly basis. If you are a citizen of an EU country, Norway or Iceland all expenditure relating the the rental of the property (including mortgage interest) are deductible for tax purposes.

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country, then the full amount of income that you receive is taxable with no allowances. The current tax rate for Spanish rental income earned by non-residents is 19% for residents of the EU, Norway or Iceland and 24% for others.

This I know is all very boring and not as “exciting” as the location, the property and the dream, but I’ve seen and heard of too many people who have been told incorrect information. Do not even rely on this post, the Spanish government websites are available in English etc Blevin Franks have lots of free downloads as does ábaco, both links above. The both Ofer up to date advice on the website free of charge and it will at least give you some pointers to look out for.

Do not rely on your estate agents and do not rely on their solicitor make sure you get your own and if they don’t speak English pay for a translator

I can’t comment on your requirements because it depends on what income etc you “think” you will get and what you need, that will determine the best place and without knowing the location it’s difficult to advise

Please accept this post in the spirit it was given. Spain is a great place I wish you good luck in your search

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Also be aware that the tax regime may be changing after Brexit for British non residents.
Exactly. Things are very much undecided at the moment,
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pagan8c View Post
I had a villa near a smal town with a private pool 3 beds. It rented out very well for a couple of years till we moved there to live for ten years then came back to UK 12 years ago. I don't think a villa in the middle of nowhere will rent very well.The villa we sold is still rented out for around £1200 a week in the summer monhs. The villa is around 15 mins drive from the coast and lots of beaches. My friend had an apartment just outside Torrevieja and his rented out very well which also had a shared pool. if you buy, be very careful that all is legal, because there are a lot of cowboy builders in Spain and you can loose a lot of money. Villas in the middle of nowhere are often problems as you need a huge amount of land to be legal ,10000 sq mtrs at least just to have a 100sq mtr property.
New rules have come in and they are getting very strict, especially in Andalucia where water is an issue

The Junta de Andalucia (regional government) states that (new) buildings built on rustic plots are minimum 7,000m2 of land to a ratio of 100m2 built property (and this is below 300m above sea level) - above this then the land required increases to as much as a 30,000m2 plot for the same build volume.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you all for your replies especially Tinkerbell, all advice gratefully received. I have been reading up on it all and it can be quite daunting with language barrier too. It was good advice to not use the estate agents solicitors duly noted x
Old 17 Jan 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Apartment in the town with shared pool, then villa

Good luck whatever you decide!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sas View Post
Thank you all for your replies especially Tinkerbell, all advice gratefully received. I have been reading up on it all and it can be quite daunting with the language barrier too. It was good advice to not use the estate agents solicitors duly noted x
if you have any questions please PM me and I will try and find official links in English for you
Old 17 Jan 20, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
I would go for the apartment with easy access to bars and restaurants
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

For me it would have to be the 2/3 bed near bars and restaurants.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 01:59 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

I’d say spend the money on a local rent where the rules and returns are crystal clear and then spend the proceeds on Spanish holidays.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List