Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

My mum had lodgings with my granny (dad’s mum) as she lived in another town too far away for work. She was a clippie on the buses, dad was a train driver and every day her bus stopped in the countryside and dad would pass by on the train and they would wave to each other. They divorced after 25 years then got back together about 2 years later, they never remarried though and dad died 6 years ago. They would have been married 66 years if they hadn’t divorced.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

My mum's next door neighbour set my parents up on a blind date. Photos of the night show my grandma went along as well!
Just imagine this post in 20 years time, will most replies say Tinder?
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 03:21 AM  
Link to this Post
zokaluse
VIP Dibber

At a birthday party when they were 7..started courting at 14 married at 18 & were married 43 years when my dad passed away.
DLP Jan 2014 H Cheyenne & H New York
DLP Dec 2014 Sequoia Lodge
Florida Aug/Sept 2016 RPR/WDW BC/DCL Dream Bahamian 4 night cruise/ WDW BC
DLP Dec 2016 Newport Bay Club
Disney Magic Staycation Cruise Aug 2021

Aug 2023;BC 9 nights WV, AKL 8 nights SV, HRH 3 nights FRCL, CB 2BS, Weeki Watchee 2 nights, Holmes Beach house 8 nights
zokaluse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My uncle (mum's brother) worked in the steelworks with my dad.
He set them up on a blind date they went to the cinema and my dad was so shy he didn't say a word all night except hello and goodbye.
He had bought a bag of chocolate toffee sweets and held them all night as he was so nervous they melted and were all stuck together.

When my mum got home that evening she played merry heck with my uncle for introducing them.
I don't know how they met up again but they were married for almost 49 years until my mum died 20 years ago.
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. The stories have been lovely !
My mum and dad met at their works Christmas party. She was engaged to someone else with a wedding booked though. Mum and dad divorced after 25 years but did stay on good terms. My nana and grandad were first cousins but didn’t meet until they were in their late teens-at a relatives funeral.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Mum and Dad met at the Astoria Ballroom Rawtenstall which hosted many bands in the 60,s such as The Who, Four Pennies, Merseybeats and they were at a gig by The Hollies. Sadly they are both gone now but hopefully watching a gig in heaven.

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

In Liverpool in the late 50s. My Dad was 17 and from a staunch Irish Catholic family and my mother was 16 and from a Protestant family. My Dad was sitting on a wall and whistled at my Mum as she walked by. The rest they say is history. My paternal Nan was originally dead set against the romance with my mother being a Protestant but eventually gave them her blessing. They married when my Mum was 19 and adored each other and were happily married until my Dad sadly passed away in January last year.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Trinacham
Having Dinner with Goofy

My parents met when they were on holiday - I think in Tenerife. They were both Londoners and happened to both be on a girls/lads getaway (they were in their 20s). My mum already had a different guy on the scene - and I think they were actually engaged (no cheating involved!) - but she chose my dad It was meant to be. They married and had 3 children.. me being the baby of the family, and 4 grandchildren so far. They were married for 36 years before my dad lost his life to cancer.
Trinacham is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
They both worked at the same factory, they met in 1960 ,
Days Simpson’s ( ring a bell ) lol.
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Who locally didn't
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List