Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile Poorly doggy

So typically, just when I am just about to go on holiday on Tuesday, my dog gets sick.
He’s a 21 month old Labrador, with a VERY GOOD appetite.
I walked him yesterday morning, and he was fine, came home, ate his breakfast as normal, but then was unsettled, whingey and whiney all day which is very unlike him. He went down to do the horses with his Dad in the afternoon, but was apparently fine then.
He came back about 6, and proceeded to throw up everywhere. But it wasn’t really much food, just water/froth. He refused his tea which has never happened before.
He was sick a few more times but we took him to bed with us to keep an eye on him and he slept all night.
He’s drinking normally, bowel movements fine, but he won’t eat today at all, even his favourite things. He isn’t being sick, but then nothing really to throw up I guess.
He’s sleeping on me now, just not himself poor little guy.
Our vets are closed until Monday. It doesn’t really seem emergency vet serious yet as he’s drinking, peeing and pooing, but it is just so unlike him to not eat...
Get better soon little guy. I’m going to try a bit of scrambled egg in a bit
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

I would contact out of hours, you can never be too careful and sometimes time is of the essence
Hope all works out ok
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Aw bless I feel for you! I’d see how you get on with some bland food this afternoon and then maybe as above give them a call!
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Does your vet have an out of hours? The vets we use have normal surgery until around 12.30 on a Saturday. Not sure if yours does but for peace of mind I think I would pop him down there if they did. If you feel his tummy is he uncomfortable with it at all? Its such a worry when they are poorly. Even with a vet student in the house I still stress when she tells me not to! Hope he is ok x
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I would starve him for 24 hours (from his last meal) and then give him chicken and white rice or scrambled egg made with water for a day or two, and see how he is from there.

Obviously if he stops drinking, still won’t eat or you see blood in his urine, poo or vomit call the out of hours vet for advice.
Old 18 Jan 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Thanks all.
To be fair it is over 24 hours since his last proper meal, he ate his breakfast yesterday about 9am, then by 7pm which is when I feed him his tea, he refused it as he had started vomiting.
He isn’t vomiting anymore, but did just go out and have a very runny poo. He’s drinking a normal amount.
My hubby is the more experienced out of both of us, and if when he gets in he’s still concerned, then we’ll head straight to out of hours.
He won’t touch biscuits, but I did just make him a bit of plain scrambled egg. He nibbled a bit. But I left it down in case he goes back to it.
He’s asleep on my feet, he’s still wagging his tail and wanting cuddles, but just looks a bit forlorn
Old 18 Jan 20, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

We know when our dogs aren’t “right” don’t we? Hope it was just something brief that has affected him and he’s back to himself very soon. They are a worry aren’t they? My boy is getting on now and he is my world to me . I just know if he’s not himself.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I wonder if it’s a doggy virus. We have had the exactly same symptoms in our Labrador and one of our terriers. Like you our Labrador refused her tea which is unheard of. For us it lasted about 36 hours and they are both fine now. We just gave a bland diet and let them rest. Our Labrador had her runny tummy overnight in the kitchen - sorry tmi. It’s horrid when they are poorly. I hope your dog feels more himself soon!
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by 4fromsuffolk View Post
I wonder if it’s a doggy virus. We have had the exactly same symptoms in our Labrador and one of our terriers. Like you our Labrador refused her tea which is unheard of. For us it lasted about 36 hours and they are both fine now. We just gave a bland diet and let them rest. Our Labrador had her runny tummy overnight in the kitchen - sorry tmi. It’s horrid when they are poorly. I hope your dog feels more himself soon!
We have a dog flap so he just shot out before and made it in time. Unfortunately for him it was freezing last night so we shut our door to the conservatory as we didn’t know he was poorly, so he threw up on the floor, shame for him as he’s so clean.
I wonder if you might be right, as I can’t see what he could have eaten, and he normally as a stomach of iron.
He still clearly wants food, as when I eat he comes over still being nosy, ‘wanting it’ but then can’t seem to stomach it.
He didn’t really want the scrambled egg which is one of his favourite things, but did lap at a bit of raw egg.
I’m going to give him a bit longer and see how he is. He’s fast asleep still.
Such a worry when I’m supposed to be flying Tuesday too
Old 18 Jan 20, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kellwall
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Chicken, rice and natural yoghurt. Hopefully your fur baby is better soon
kellwall is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List