Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jan 20, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
jovimum
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Im currently going through the process. Ive had one to one dietition appontments, group appointments and am about to start my physcologist (sp?) appointments then after those its onto the surgeon. Its been a long haul, i think i started around spring time last year.
Old 19 Jan 20, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

OP my mum was 20 stone, and is now 10.
Her advice would be to get it done sooner rather than later, but to understand you have to be very committed to everything that goes with it, it is not a magic wand. She wishes she had it done ten years earlier she is enjoying her new life so much.
Good luck at your appointment, if you have any questions afterwards please come back maybe we can help x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Just a random question.

After the op do you still feel hungry or “cravings” or does the procedure mean you always feel full and don’t want to eat ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Just a random question.

After the op do you still feel hungry or “cravings” or does the procedure mean you always feel full and don’t want to eat ?
I'm following a girl on Facebook who's just had it done. She doesn't eat much but said she was really craving crisps the other night. She's still on the soft food stage so it may have been that.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MarionG View Post
My hubby was referred to Charing Cross hospital for bariatric surgery in 2011. He has type 2 diabetes and was 25 stone at the time so got the funding. From the first appointment in June he had a gastric band at the end of February 2012. Has lost 7 stone and come off a lot of meds he was on. I think it saved his life and will always be grateful to our GP at the time (since retired) for referring him. We live in Suffolk and this was the nearest hospital (NHS) that did it so quite a journey. He had a talk with a phycologist as not everyone can cope with the after effects. It isn't easy, you obviously can't just eat what you want and they need to know you can deal with this. They gave him options as to what operation he wanted, either band, sleeve or bypass. The last two are pernament the band can be loosened or removed although he hasn't done this!
Hope this helps.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm so pleased to hear that your husband has a new lease of life, I guess over everything, that is one of the main aims! Obviously I will find out more at the appointment, I am a naturally anxious person, especially when it comes to my health and I just need to hear that people cope with it, even if it is a difficult thing to go through & that they don't regret doing it!

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
My mum had this done a few years back, and it has completely transformed her whole life. She saved up and went privately at Leeds, she had a gastric bypass, her surgeon is a leading consultant and he said it was the best option. It was not an easy option, and took lots of hard work on my mums part, she had to have 800 cals a day prior to surgery, and afterwards could not eat “normally” only very small portions etc. But, she is able to move, walk, and has so much energy! Her hips knees and feet are better too. I am sure if you wanted to contact her I could put you in touch. She has no regrets. Here is here before and after photo.
Your mum looks amazing! Thank you for sharing a picture of her now. How is she now wit regards to eating? Can she go out for dinner and still enjoy it? A big thing for us socially as a family is going for dinner, and we love eating out on holiday, I know I wouldn't be able to eat like I do now, I don't want to, but I still want to be able to go out for dinner and enjoy it!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
OP my mum was 20 stone, and is now 10.
Her advice would be to get it done sooner rather than later, but to understand you have to be very committed to everything that goes with it, it is not a magic wand. She wishes she had it done ten years earlier she is enjoying her new life so much.
Good luck at your appointment, if you have any questions afterwards please come back maybe we can help x
That's the same as me then. I cant ever imagine me being 10 stone. I think that's part of the problem in the thought of getting it done, having an image of myself in my head. My dear mother in law passed away last easter, she had a very sedentary lifestyle, and in the end died of a massive PE which was put down to her size. She must have been at least 30st. I cannot get like that, I just cant, and that's why I am trying to get myself in the right mindset and understand it will be a positive thing to do.

NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Originally Posted by jovimum View Post
Im currently going through the process. Ive had one to one dietition appontments, group appointments and am about to start my physcologist (sp?) appointments then after those its onto the surgeon. Its been a long haul, i think i started around spring time last year.
If you don't mind me asking, how long after your initial appointment did you start the other appointments? And have you had it confirmed that you are having it done? I'm just trying to piece together a time scale.

Old 19 Jan 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Bentley
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Slightly different for me. I decided whilst in Florida having spend another day in Universal feeling fat and frumpy to have a vertical gastric sleeve.

It was the 21st February 2019, I applied online to have mine done privately in Prague. I sent across photos and had to complete a comprehensive medical form. The following Monday I started the LRD which is the Liver Reduction Diet, three weeks later I flew to Prague on the Sunday, I had pre-ops on the Sunday evening and Monday morning. I was taken for the OP later that day.

I flew home on the Friday, I had planned on staying until the Sunday, but felt good and just wanted to get home. I have lost just over six stone, my BMI is healthy and I have gone from a size 20 to a 8/10.

For me it was the best thing I’ve done. This year, was the first year in about 20 years that I’ve not vowed to lose weight. I’m just working on getting fitter and more toned.
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm so pleased to hear that your husband has a new lease of life, I guess over everything, that is one of the main aims! Obviously I will find out more at the appointment, I am a naturally anxious person, especially when it comes to my health and I just need to hear that people cope with it, even if it is a difficult thing to go through & that they don't regret doing it!

Your mum looks amazing! Thank you for sharing a picture of her now. How is she now wit regards to eating? Can she go out for dinner and still enjoy it? A big thing for us socially as a family is going for dinner, and we love eating out on holiday, I know I wouldn't be able to eat like I do now, I don't want to, but I still want to be able to go out for dinner and enjoy it!
She can still enjoy a meal, but cannot eat the quantity she used to, by any means. Everything else she has gained more than makes up for it. Good luck with your appointment and please do your homework in regards to the operation and the surgeons etc.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
jovimum
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how long after your initial appointment did you start the other appointments? And have you had it confirmed that you are having it done? I'm just trying to piece together a time scale.
I had the group sessions first - 5 in total, then ive had 3 one to one sessions with my next one next week, then the phycologists(sp?) Start next week too - i think this depends on the sessions go to how many i will need. Then i will see the surgeon who will decide if im "fit enough".
These appointments started with the referal from my gp about a year ago. Then spring last year my group sessions started - 4 in total, about one a month. Ive had 2 one to one sessions, again about a month apart. Ive been going to appointments and groups for around a year. I was told its a long process lasting about 18 months. I get to choose which surgery i get to have - that is obviously confirmed or not with the surgeon.
I can - if i want - drop out at any time or just pause the whole thing and then jump back on when im ready.
Im so sorry - ive waffled! Hope all makes sence!