Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 11 Dec 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
How will the $15 minimum wage effect prices?

Before the bun fights start I am going to mention Tipping but not interested in whether you agree with it one way or the other but more how the "new" minimum wage will affect things.
Now I'll start by stating that I've never seen a "Servers" wage slip but I've always been led to believe that they get a very small basic & this is then made up from their Tips, now they are going to get this $15 minimum so no longer an "excuse" for that 18%-20%( I've even seen 25%-30% on a receipt outside of WDW !) As an aside if you are a server in one of the high end Disney Restaurants you must be crying inside!
Then of course how will food prices be affected ( On a side note no flaming for affect/effectI can never get them right!) these Restaurants will need to make up the difference without eating into their profits. This will also, I'd imagine, tie in to Dining Plans
As an example of the issue:
We ate late one night so popped into IHOP, there were 3 servers plus at least 1 cook, in total there were 4 diners, including us, so for that hour they will have $60 in staff costs yet I'd be surprised if they sold $60 worth of meals!

SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I have not seen anything about the $15 minimum applying to servers in tipped positions. That has always had a seperate minimum and I expect it still will in future. Disney had also already agreed to raise it's minimum to $15 before the recent statewide vote.
Old 13 Dec 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Donna I didn't know that there were exceptions? JB has openly stated that he want's "to kill" the "tipped minimum wage" so I would expect that it's all encompassing IYKWIM, you would then gather from that that there would also no longer be a "requirement" to tip ? Also not sure what US Employment Law is like for Hours worked but you've got to think that this will raise the average wage to around $30k (40 hour week) there can't be too many Restaurants that can sustain that on current staffing levels so is it a case of "the road to H*** is paved with good intentions" ? If you are to believe some of the numbers bandied about, this means a Disney Server taking a Huge pay cut.
Even looking at CMs, of their options( the corporations)I would expect don't include eating in to their profits so it's 1. Raise prices or 2. Less Staff

SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22

Edited at 11:31 AM.
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Tipped workers are seeing minimum wage rise to nearly $12 an hour, but that’s over the next 5 years. It will be $7 an hour next year.
My daughter currently earns £6.50 an hour I think working for a well known UK retail chain but she is only 16.
Personally when I see the minimum wage at $12 an hour I will have to rethink tipping amount. In reality what will happen is the customer will pay twice- once in increased prices to meet the 120% increased wage bill, and they will still be handing over 20% tip. By that point it will be an unbelievably lucrative career for unskilled work requiring no study or qualifications (not suggesting there are not skilled waiters but it is generically classified as unskilled work due to entry criteria). Most wait staff in other parts of the world could only look on in envy- then again we all know working in a Disney restaurant has been the ‘golden egg’ for years. One ex member of staff told me the wait staff earnt more than the managers often and also had the best cars in the car park.

Edited at 09:16 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 20, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Yt not sure where the $15/hour come from, like everything these days is it just plucked out of the air because it sounds good ? You know like wear a mask for 100 days not 99 or 101 ! I can only say that, that puts the US minimum wage above most public service jobs (UK) & way more than a Firefighter earns.
Can't say I agree with our pay structure it should be same job same wage IYKWIM
I get the impression some states have implemented part of it already & the "cuts" to staffing have started, you just wonder if "these" people have ever done a "cause & effect" chart
SD
Old 15 Dec 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
$15 minimum wage is a Biden policy too. Therefore, I would expect this to be implemented across the States
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
The opening post mentions IHOP being very quiet late in the evening, this will be the same as Dennys , if you go at 9pm you'll get a table easy but 9am you could have a long wait due to the breakfast traffic, one helps pay for the other.
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Yt not sure where the $15/hour come from, like everything these days is it just plucked out of the air because it sounds good ? You know like wear a mask for 100 days not 99 or 101 ! I can only say that, that puts the US minimum wage above most public service jobs (UK) & way more than a Firefighter earns.
Can't say I agree with our pay structure it should be same job same wage IYKWIM
I get the impression some states have implemented part of it already & the "cuts" to staffing have started, you just wonder if "these" people have ever done a "cause & effect" chart
SD
Non tipped positions are going to $15 an hour- us in DVC are acutely aware of this with the big dues rise, particularly last year to gear up for it.