Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

Another thumbs up for Kindle. I did have a basic one, but then bought the paperwhite as it’s easier to read outside. (On a sunbed overlooking the sea!)

It’s great if you are a holiday reader. I used to pack several books and still usually had to buy more whilst away.

If you go to the bookbub site, you can select which genre of books you like and each day you get an email listing cheap/free books on Amazon.
Mpet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I was a fairly early adopter of the Kindle (still remember buying the Kindle 2 as soon as it was made available in the UK - at that point the Kindles were still shipping from the USA to the UK!). Went from the Kindle 2 to Kindle 3 to Kindle Paperwhite and loved all of them.

However a few years back I realised that I was reading more and more on my phone and iPad. Part of this was because whenever I was out and about and had a few spare moments, it was so easy to just read a couple of chapters on my phone. My Kindle tended to live on my bedside table at home. And slowly I transitioned over to reading only on my phone and iPad and my Kindle now sits in one corner untouched...

As a dedicated ereader though (and assuming the Kindle is always ready at hand) the Kindle is pretty amazing, with the benefit that the e-ink versions work really well under bright sun (as opposed to a phone/iPad).
Old 18 Jan 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
lindylou46
slightly serious Dibber

I have a kindle, have had one since they first came out and wouldn't be without it, so easy and light to use. If mine broke l would replace it immediately, reading for me is one of life's great pleasures. Also if you did buy one and found that it wasn't for you, then you could always sell it on. (l do try to make up for not buying "real" books, by buying them for my grandchildren instead)
lindylou46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

I would also recommend a kindle.
I could never imagine going back to lugging all those books on holiday that I used to take,especially when going on a beach holiday.Crkey they were all hard backs as well,cos I could never wait until my favourite authors were realeased in paperback.Mind you you don’t get the same luggage allowance these days.
I read every night in bed while hubbys sleeping and it never disturbs him.
My kindle has certainly helped me through these lockdowns,I wouldn’t be without it.
Tracy x
Old 18 Jan 21, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
I would also recommend a kindle.
I could never imagine going back to lugging all those books on holiday that I used to take,especially when going on a beach holiday.Crkey they were all hard backs as well,cos I could never wait until my favourite authors were realeased in paperback.Mind you you don’t get the same luggage allowance these days.
I read every night in bed while hubbys sleeping and it never disturbs him.
My kindle has certainly helped me through these lockdowns,I wouldn’t be without it.
Tracy x
Totally agree with the comment about books on holiday!

When I was a kid I remember bringing books and books along with me in the car on holidays.

Then as an adult I remember travelling in non English speaking countries and running out of reading material. Particularly remember being in France, running out of reading material, and looking all over before finally finding an English copy of Reader's Digest somewhere.

The Kindle and ebooks in general solved all this and I could happily go on holiday safe in the knowledge that I would never run out of things to read! And I remember the first holiday I took with the Kindle - had only loaded a couple of books on it, finished them within the first couple of days, and just kept buying more books to read (for instant download onto the Kindle) during the holiday...
Old 18 Jan 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Another vote for the kindle. I have a paperwhite and agree its great to be able to read in bed without turning on the light - been brilliants when I couldn't sleep because of virus stress. I used to have a kobo reader, then they stopped providing books and I had to side load them. Amazon had a great selection, I also use Bookbub to get cheap or even free books, which is great.
We were another family who used to schlep tons of books on holiday with us, then had to find a swop library to avoid spending all our money on buying books as DH would ready loads. We all have kindles now
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

I started with a Kindle Keyboard10 years ago, then got a Paperwhite, now I'm on a Voyage. I wouldn't recommend the Voyage (apart from the fact that they don't make them now) as the Paperwhite is just as good - I rarely use the buttons.
I find using a Kindle much much easier than holding a book. I can adjust the font size so I don't have to wear glasses while riding in bed. I don't have to get up to put the light on when I'm reading at dusk. And I have a fold over cover, so I can eat a biscuit and drink my tea while reading.
I get a Bookbub email every day and track the more expensive books on ereaderiq for price drops. And if I've finished a fab book and want to go straight onto the next one, I can buy it in seconds.

Edited to add the base level Kindle has a front light now.

Edited at 07:17 PM.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List