Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jan 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

New kitchen

Ages ago I posted about damp at my mum's and asked for advice. Well it's turned into a massive job (well for a 72 year old woman and her DD - me).

Had various people look and eventually during summer it was confirmed as damp to the external back dining room wall and all four walls in the kitchen. She's in a mid terraced property.

Dad died in 2019 and they'd always planned a new kitchen but now this forced the work but hard to get her to agree and book workmen as it's something they planned to do together.

We finally had someone come and repoint the outside walls and have been looking for replacement kitchen since.

Mum picked a kitchen and I got advice from a local builder who did our extension a few years ago. He's put us in touch with lots of people to do the work and given me written instructions of what to do and when. We're doing as much as we can for her to try and keep the costs down.

Major work starts next week the 11th with the electrical and plumbing first fix but before then we need to rip out the old kitchen and knock off the plaster to the brick at 1m all around.

I love following these types of threads so thought I'd start one for anyone interested.

Photos of work so far:

Dining room wall, plaster removed last week on 29th. Dad's birthday so seemed appropriate to keep her busy and start wrecking things at the same time.

Kitchen is a galley kitchen so doing one side this weekend and the other next. Today was the first side.

Before:

During:

After:

We had a local joiner make a made to measure bi-folding door for the pantry as original idea was to block it up and knock a new door in the dining room but that put another £1000 on the bill.

We've set up a temporary kitchen in dining room as the kitchen cannot be fitted to mid/end-February as plaster needs 4-6 weeks minimum to dry. Mum wants to be able to use a slow cooker or microwave and not come to.mine as much as possible.

Next week is the sink side. That'll be harder:

We're hoping to leave the sink in the middle of the room with some flexi pipe.

I'll post more pictures next week and then progress with the electrics, plumbing etc before kitchen from Howdens.

Mum and dad bought the house in 1971 and the kitchen has been in since the mid/late 70s.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Last weekend of prep before trades start this week.

Removed washing machine. Disconnected sink and reconnected with Flexi hose so it will move away from the wall about 2-3 feet. Hopefully the damp man will work around it.

All plaster off to 1m.

Electrician coming Monday to do first fix. Gasman Tue/wed to move washer connection and move gas pipes. And then damp man Thursday. Next Monday and plasterer starts.

We've left cooker connected today and gas man will disconnect and move on Tuesday so mum can cook for a few more days at least.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 21, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Coming along nicely, well done. I must say looking at the first lot of photos you cleaned up well.

Kitchen replacements are the most disruptive job to undertake in the house. You don't realise how much they are needed until they are gone!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 21, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

I love looking at refurbs .. I thought it was disruptive enough when we pulled up the Lino which was here when we moved here and replaced with ceramic tiles .. When we do get to do the kitchen will have to have a holiday booked
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 21, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

We’re having a new kitchen fitted next month. Love reading all the threads on here and has definitely given me some inspiration -and can’t wait til it’s done but absolutely dreading it being done. Current kitchen was fitted about 14 years ago so will def be worth it as getting professionally fitted rather than last one done on a shoe string with most done by DH just following old kitchen foot print
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 21, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Good luck with it all. I've never had a new kitchen, always been put off by the sheer enormity of planning it all and then living with it while the work is being done. I hope it all comes together without too much hassle.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Well it's all going along slowly.
Last week we had electrician and gas fitter to move everything ready for new layout and then the damp course guy.

Today the plasterer has been and started. Said it'll be 3 days.

Gas fitter booked for Thursday to reconnect a new radiator and reconnect the old free standing cooker as interim fix.

Lights and sockets booked for Friday. Then it's wait 4 weeks until plaster dries until new kitchen can be installed.

A couple of photos of the first bit of plaster.

Dining room

Kitchen

[
Old 2 Mar 21, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Finally some progress on the kitchen!

Had new blinds fitted last week and the walls half painted. Apparently not allowed to paint the new plaster for months socan only paint higher than 1m.

The actual kitchen was delivered yesterday as planned by Howdens but the joiner didn't turn up. He thought he'd been booked for the first week of March 🤔 not sure when he thought that was.

Mum was upset having boxes everywhere and no joiner

But today joiner arrived and some slow progress and cupboards on one side.

Joiner suggested he come back Thursday not tomorrow but mum insisted he turn up tomorrow so hopefully he will and things will move on quickly then.