Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Jan 21, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Disneybear View Post
We did 7 nights in DC in Feb 2020 and struggled to fit it all in but we are massive museum junkies! Smithsonian is great and recommend going to at least one museum on your trip, if only one probably the African American History and Culture museum.
For me, if it was only to be one, then it would always be airspace. All are the actual aircraft involved, not repaints.

The first powered aircraft ever (Wright flyer)
First to break the sound barrier
First Mach2
Fastest ever (X15)
First solo Atlantic with Charles Lindbergh
First non stop unrefielled round the world
First moon landing (Apollo 11 re entry vehicle).
Amelia Earharts little Bessie.

All under the one roof and on the Mall. Astonishing.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 05:00 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

So sorry, I have only just seen these replies!
Thank you again everyone, I have decided to keep the car only because we will be visiting my friend in Columbia on our way to DC from Philly.
Once we reach the hotel the car will be left in the car park until we leave to drive back to the airport so will just stump up the hotel parking fees.
At the moment the trip isn't looking very likely but the balance doesn't have to be paid until 3 weeks beforehand so anything could happen between now and then!
If we can't get there we will definitely rebook for later in the year

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sweetemotion View Post
I went to Philadelphia 2 years ago now and stayed 2 nights but I absolutely loved it. I loved it more than New York and really can't wait to go back. I would add on an extra night if you can.

The city is super easy to get around on foot too!

Here's what we did in two days:

Reading Terminal market - best public market I've been to

Independence Hall - free to visit but you can reserve a ticket for $1.50 online, just make sure you pick up a physical ticket from the visitor ticket (which I forgot!)

Liberty Bell - Free also, no ticket needed

The Franklin Fountain - I went in summer and loved this cute old fashioned ice cream parlor. They only take cash, and use a brass cash register, have an old traditional soda fountain and everything.

Public Parks - I loved walking through the Public Parks here, there's four main ones but I think the most popular to walk through is Washington Square Park

Philadelphia City Hall - beautiful building that offers tours and you can go to the top floor lookout

Rocky Steps and Philadelphia Art Museum

One Liberty Observation Deck - super cheap for an observation deck at $15 the city is really beautiful at night

Betsy Ross House - the house where the first American flag was sewn by Betsy Ross

Elfreths Alley - the oldest residential street in the United States - super cute street for a walk through

Get a Philly Cheesesteak! Genos's and Pat's are two of the most famous places to get a philly cheesesteak but they're a little out of town so I never got there but you'll find them all over!

JFK Plaza/Love Park for the LOVE statue and awesome photos looking down Benjamin Franklin Parkway

Christchurch Burial Ground - resting place of Benjamin Franklin

Other things I wished I'd had time for:

Penn's Landing
Eastern State Penitentiary
Edgar Allen Poe Historical Site
Philadelphia Magic Gardens

I stayed at the Marriott Center City and it was amazing for location
Wow this is fantastic, thank you! I've copied and pasted this for my notes

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 21, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Disneybear View Post
We did 7 nights in DC in Feb 2020 and struggled to fit it all in but we are massive museum junkies! Smithsonian is great and recommend going to at least one museum on your trip, if only one probably the African American History and Culture museum.
I think we'll only have time for one museum and this is the one I was thinking of going to

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 14 Jan 21, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
alysond
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sweetemotion View Post
I went to Philadelphia 2 years ago now and stayed 2 nights but I absolutely loved it. I loved it more than New York and really can't wait to go back. I would add on an extra night if you can.

The city is super easy to get around on foot too!

Here's what we did in two days:

Reading Terminal market - best public market I've been to

Independence Hall - free to visit but you can reserve a ticket for $1.50 online, just make sure you pick up a physical ticket from the visitor ticket (which I forgot!)

Liberty Bell - Free also, no ticket needed

The Franklin Fountain - I went in summer and loved this cute old fashioned ice cream parlor. They only take cash, and use a brass cash register, have an old traditional soda fountain and everything.

Public Parks - I loved walking through the Public Parks here, there's four main ones but I think the most popular to walk through is Washington Square Park

Philadelphia City Hall - beautiful building that offers tours and you can go to the top floor lookout

Rocky Steps and Philadelphia Art Museum

One Liberty Observation Deck - super cheap for an observation deck at $15 the city is really beautiful at night

Betsy Ross House - the house where the first American flag was sewn by Betsy Ross

Elfreths Alley - the oldest residential street in the United States - super cute street for a walk through

Get a Philly Cheesesteak! Genos's and Pat's are two of the most famous places to get a philly cheesesteak but they're a little out of town so I never got there but you'll find them all over!

JFK Plaza/Love Park for the LOVE statue and awesome photos looking down Benjamin Franklin Parkway

Christchurch Burial Ground - resting place of Benjamin Franklin

Other things I wished I'd had time for:

Penn's Landing
Eastern State Penitentiary
Edgar Allen Poe Historical Site
Philadelphia Magic Gardens

I stayed at the Marriott Center City and it was amazing for location
We did all of these plus the Penitentiary and Penn`s Landing. The Penitentiary was amazing, well worth a visit. It`s an audio self guided tour so you can go at your own pace. We stayed in a hotel right by Penn`s Landing so just did a walk one morning, and it was lovely.
We also booked tickets for Independence Hall on line, so easy.
The Franklin Fountain is great, the ice cream is to die for! Its open late so we had our desert there after a meal in a restaurant close by
We got our cheesesteaks from Sonny`s, there was a line out of the door and they were fab. There`s also loads of places in Reading Terminal market you can get them too, but just ask for a cheesesteak, apparently you don`t say Philly!

Philadelphia has so much to see and do. It`s compact so easy to get about, really good restaurants too. We struggled to do it all in 3 days, and would love to go back
alysond is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List