Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 27 Dec 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Making a holiday wish-list

Just something I have wanted to do for a couple of weeks but DH doesn’t believe in them. (He has “enough on his mind” he says). We aren’t in any position to book anything yet and might not be for the foreseeable future but that won’t stop me. Anyone want to join in?

These are places I fancy trying now long haul is out of the question for us.

Scilly Isles
North York Moors Railway
Scotland somewhere
The south east corner of England
River cruise - Rhine or similar
Med cruise from Southampton.
Isle of Man

I have thought of other places but they have gone out of my head. So I have left some space for insertions.

Edited at 08:45 PM.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

We are planning a road trip around Wales and also one to Devon,Cornwall and Dorset
Old 27 Dec 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

I think it's lovely to have a list of where you want to visit. Your list is amazing. If you do make it to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway I can highly recommend staying at Pickering Lodges which is a small lodge park on a gorgeous site. FIL works there and so I can vouch that the hot tub water is swapped after each stay (some places don't do this 🤢 )

For us, it has always been Cornwall but then the lure of shorter travel times, hotter weather and cheaper prices has always meant we've gone to Europe instead. However next August we have it booked thanks to Covid-19 spoiling all our plans for 2020 and us getting a refund on the holidays we had planned.

On our future list are:

Explore more of Greece (perhaps island hopping or on a cruise). DD would also like to go to Croatia.

Some of the European theme parks like Europa Park and Tivoli.

LA, LV and SF West Coast adventure.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Just something I have wanted to do for a couple of weeks but DH doesn’t believe in them. (He has “enough on his mind” he says). We aren’t in any position to book anything yet and might not be for the foreseeable future but that won’t stop me. Anyone want to join in?

These are places I fancy trying now long haul is out of the question for us.

Scilly Isles
North York Moors Railway
Scotland somewhere
The south east corner of England
River cruise - Rhine or similar
Med cruise from Southampton.

I have thought of other places but they have gone out of my head. So I have left some space for insertions.
I can recommend the Scillies, particularly if you like History, Birdlife and like walking. It truly is beautiful and I would suggest flying in so that you can see it from the air as they come in at altitude, then bank in..and getting the boat home, so that you travel along the coast. I have visited over half a dozen times.

Highlights..
1. The story of Sir Clowdesley Shovell and the loss of his fleet (it ties in rather nicely with Fools and Horses and Hunters lesser watch, believe it or not).
2. Boat trips to the various Islands.
3. Tresco with its sub tropical climate and a very interesting castle to climb.
4. St Mary’s museum.. really, really good with artifacts from the Iron Age to the Torrey Canyon.
5. The Star Fort.
6 A walk around the coast of St Mary’s.
7 Porthcressa Beach.

Top tip.
Don’t go when the World Gig Rowing championship is on. It will be full of drunken 18-30’s

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Thanks for the tip regarding the lodges. Always good to have a recommendation. 😃
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I can recommend the Scillies, particularly if you like History, Birdlife and like walking. It truly is beautiful and I would suggest flying in so that you can see it from the air as they come in at altitude, then bank in..and getting the boat home, so that you travel along the coast. I have visited over half a dozen times.

Highlights..
1. The story of Sir Clowdesley Shovell and the loss of his fleet (it ties in rather nicely with Fools and Horses and Hunters lesser watch, believe it or not).
4. St Mary’s museum.. really, really good with artifacts from the Iron Age to the Torrey Canyon.
5. The Star Fort.
7 Porthcressa Beach.

Top tip.
Don’t go when the World Gig Rowing championship is on. It will be full of drunken 18-30’s

Thank you. Now I want to go there even more than before.
Old 27 Dec 20, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

Highlights..
5. The Star Fort.
7 Porthcressa Beach.

Top tip.
CFB

Does this boat still take you there from Penzance to St Marys ? Circa 1971

Mick
Old 27 Dec 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
CFB

Does this boat still take you there from Penzance to St Marys ? Circa 1971

Mick
That is Scillonian 2. She was replaced by the current Scillonian 3 and sold on.

Scillonian 2 is a rather sad and interesting Wiki read if you have 5 minutes.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That is Scillonian 2. She was replaced by the current Scillonian 3 and sold on.

Scillonian 2 is a rather sad and interesting Wiki read if you have 5 minutes.
Wow. Is it customary for a merchant ship to have so many name changes? What a sad ending though presumably in the Black Sea?

Mick
Old 27 Dec 20, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

1 anywhere warm
2 anywhere warm and speaks English
3 anywhere warm, speaks English and has theme parks to entertain us
4 anywhere warm,speaks English,has theme parks and can fly there with either virgin,b.a or tui.
I'm open to ideas? 😂😂😂
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List