Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 13 Jan 21, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

2 Questions about staying Onsite in 2022

1. Now that so many of the benefits of staying onsite are going by the wayside, what, in people who have stayed onsite's opinion will be the actual benefits of staying onsite?

2. When we booked to stay onsite for the first time for 2020 we booked 5 nights as this was the minimum required to access the dining plan.
Without the dining plan, is there a minimum amount of nights you have to stay?

Many thanks in advance.
We have always stayed offsite in a villa but wanted to try onsite mainly because of the dining plan (RIP!) and the convenience. We had booked the Beach Club and were looking forward to being able to walk to Epcot, Boardwalk etc.
We have already booked our villa for 2022 and were then going to add the Disney element but now I'm wondering what to do for the best.

Our kids will be 14 and 15 when we go in August 2022.
Another thought I had was, as the kids will be older, whether sharing one hotel room for a few nights would be a good idea or not?
Old 13 Jan 21, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

It might all come down to whether you want to experience being in the Disney bubble. If you had a villa before you wouldn’t have used the magical express, so in reality you’re missing out on extra magic hours (which were only of value if you used them), magic bands (you can still buy or use the app instead), access to early fast pass (which may well come back when fast pass returns) and dining plan (which may well come back as well). You will still get the convenience, especially of walking to the park, as you’re staying in a villa not having to do the journey to the car park at either end and just the feeling of being on site. With the 14/15 year olds - were you planning for them to share a queen? I guess they’re old enough to make up their minds on that one but is it worth looking at hiring DVC points to hire one of the villas that come with two beds plus a full size sleeper?
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

Thanks for reply mrsmickey.

Regarding the DCs, I would share with DD and DH would share with DS. It’s more the lack of space with 2 self-conscious teens I’m concerned about!

Yes, I guess not having experienced “the bubble” I don’t know if I would miss it!

Part of me wants to bite the bullet and stay at the Beach Club (it will be our last trip to Florida) and another part wants to save about £2200!
Old 14 Jan 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Would you do better renting with DVC and having an apartment for you all rather than two separate hotel rooms ?
No number of nights restriction either .
You could also look at the Swan or Dolphin which gives you the location advantages of the BC without the price tag.

Edited at 11:31 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

I don’t know what “renting with DVC” means!

Please explain.
Old 14 Jan 21, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BaconAndAvocado View Post
I don’t know what “renting with DVC” means!

Please explain.
Your stay at the Beach Club in a Studio would cost you about $570 a night (plus $25 to park at the hotel).

DVC members can book those rooms for 17 points a night. If you 'bought' the booking from a DVC member for $19 a point that's $323 a night (plus zero to park at the hotel as it's included for DVC bookings)

You can book direct with owners on the Dibb, Facebook groups or indermediaes like David's DVC Rentals.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

A one bed at Old Key West would be ideal for you, a huge sofa bed and a single sofa bed in the lounge and a private bedroom for yourself with a king size bed.

Those are 29 points a night, so $551.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jemrock
Getting Excited

The problem with renting DVC is that, as I understand it, it's very hard to find travel insurance to cover you. So if you needed to cancel you would likely lose the full amount.

It's something I really want to try doing but I'm just so wary at the moment of booking anything with more than a low deposit! If anyone has a way round this they can suggest do correct me though - I know David's can offer some level of guarantee but it looked pretty pricy.

Disney World Florida five times and counting!
jemrock is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 21, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

It is a good point about insurance and the current uncertainty.

I rented out some of my points to Dibbers last year and I refunded them in full. I managed to rent the points out via Facebook to guest from the US. With those renters I agreed with them that I would refund them if they couldn't go or WDW was closed. I needed to use the points by the end of Nov 2020 so tried to get them rented out in Aug/Sep so I'd have enough time to re-rent them in Sep/Oct/Nov.

When the uncertainly is over I'll be renting them out with a fairly simple agreement

1. I need to bank points by July 31st so any bookings cancelled before then would be refunded in full
2. Any cancellations after July 31st would be attempted to be re-rented and the proceeds returned as a refund (which may be lower due to needing to offload expiring points)
Old 16 Jan 21, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jemrock
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
When the uncertainly is over I'll be renting them out with a fairly simple agreement

1. I need to bank points by July 31st so any bookings cancelled before then would be refunded in full
2. Any cancellations after July 31st would be attempted to be re-rented and the proceeds returned as a refund (which may be lower due to needing to offload expiring points)
That's really reasonable and I would be prepared to book on that reduced level of risk.

Disney World Florida five times and counting!
jemrock is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List