Notices

Old 17 Apr 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Quebec City: Spring 2019 Pre-Trip

With only about 36 hours until departure, I thought I gad better think about starting my latest trip report!

So first things first. Let me introduce myself. I Mel, I'm over the half century and I'm a mom of two and wife to one. I live in the south of France and I'm a training manager in a small company.

This is another of my solo trips. I'm leaving on Friday and coming back just over a week later arriving back home on the Sunday. I'm off to Quebec city. This isn't the first time that I've visited the city. As for my trip to Montreal last year, I will be taking some French lessons as a way of trying to improve my terrible French.

So, let's give you some details.

I leave a local airport at 6:20 AM on Friday flying to Frankfurt. There I have a one and a half hour transfer time which hopefully should be enough. The airplane that I will take to go to Frankfurt arrives the evening before so usually takes off on time on the morning flight. From Frankfurt I'm on the Air Canada flight to Montreal. This arrives in Montreal at about 11:20 AM. I then have about 1 1/2 hour layover in Montreal which hopefully will be enough time to go through immigration and customs. I don't have to get my bags they will be automatically transferred to my flight to Quebec city which is just a short 50 minute flight.

In Quebec City I have booked an Airbnb apartment in Saint Roch. As it's Easter weekend, hotels were very expensive. This is the first time I've stayed in an Airbnb on my own, though as a family we've used them a lot over the last five years. It will be nice to have my own space, and the kitchen to prepare some of my meals. While I like eating out, to eat out three meals a day on your own can get a bit too much.

Hopefully I'll be at the apartment by about 3 PM which will give me enough time to unpack, and then to go out and explore of the local area. Where the apartment is is apparently a very busy area outside the main downtown of Quebec city. However it's walkable, well in my opinion walkable as it's about 30 minutes.

I decided to stay here as apparently there's lots of restaurants shops and I felt that probably in the evening it would be a nice place to stay, plus it's not too far from the language school where I'll be doing the lessons in the morning.

So what do I plan to do!

On the Saturday and Sunday I plan to explore Quebec City. I've visited twice before, once for a week in 2015 with the family and then again just an overnight stay the following year. I think over the weekend I will probably go to Montgomery Falls. I know I can take the bus there. Otherwise it will be my general wandering around down into the old city, and just enjoying the the weekend.

At the moment,It's forecast to rain at the weekend. If it does, I will just adjust my plans accordingly and perhaps visit one or two of the museums in the old town area.

I hope to visit most of the sites - even though I have been to most of them already! Being on my own gives me a completely different perspective. I really enjoy just wandering.

I will effectively have the weekend and then each afternoon as my French course is 9am to about 12.30pm every day. I am going to the Quebec City site of the same school as last year! I did check though that it wasn't the same teacher

I also will take the ferry over to Levis. We stayed here on our first visit. There is one reason for this:

Ice cream - there is a fabulous ice cream shop over there!

I have to admit that the trip has caught up with me somewhat! I haven't got a detailed plan - will basically go with the flow!

Just need to remember to check in tomorrow morning online! And try to do a week's work in a say

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

Ah this is so exciting to see! I'm visiting Quebec and Canada for the first time in August - so can't wait to read your report!

xx
gtyrel10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Hope the travels go smoothly. Looking forward to reading along. Looks a lovely place. Hope you get put in the right classes this time !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 17 Apr 19 7:11 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Looking forward to following another of your trips Mel. I never travelled abroad until I was nearly forty, and now over a decade later, I find I have a passion for it and our trips have gotten a little more adventurous as the years have gone on. But your trips are very inspiring especially as a solo traveller. I have never been on a solo trip anywhere but I can certainly see the appeal of doing so. Plus you visit such interesting places. I can’t wait to find out more about Quebec and Canada. I hope it helps with your French too 😀

Edited at 10:33 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gtyrel10 View Post
Ah this is so exciting to see! I'm visiting Quebec and Canada for the first time in August - so can't wait to read your report!

xx
I love Canada! I just can’t believe I am almost off! Do ask if you have any Canada questions

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Hope the travels go smoothly. Looking forward to reading along. Looks a lovely place. Hope you get put in the right classes this time !
Quebec City is so very different to Montreal! I am looking forward to exploring - it has been 3 1/2 years since we spent a week there!

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Looking forward to following another of your trips Mel. I never travelled abroad until I was nearly forty, and now over a decade later, I find I have a passion for it and our trips have gotten a little more adventurous as the years have gone on. But your trips are very inspiring especially as a solo traveller. I have never been on a solo trip anywhere but I can certainly see the appeal of doing so. Plus we visit such interesting places. I can’t wait to find out more about Quebec and Canada. I hope it helps with your French too 😀
My French is actually not so bad - I have to work in it so I am quite proficient! I think a week away will do me good!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Oh lovely to see it without the snow and ice sculptures. Been there so many times as we holiday in Quebec region (Jonquiere) every February (we love the snow). Escalier Cas-Cou, & Petite Champlain are just beautiful covered in snow & there are amazing ice sculptures outside all the shops then. Short bus ride to the Ice Hotel then too.
Love QC & the people, you are so lucky to be doing your lessons there, could you let me know where you are doing your classes? I looked into doing some classes in Jonquiere but you had to sign up for 6 months which I can't do sadly.
Thought you might likes these from winter time to compare with how you see it now

Old 17 Apr 19, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Oh lovely to see it without the snow and ice sculptures. Been there so many times as we holiday in Quebec region (Jonquiere) every February (we love the snow). Escalier Cas-Cou, & Petite Champlain are just beautiful covered in snow & there are amazing ice sculptures outside all the shops then. Short bus ride to the Ice Hotel then too.
Love QC & the people, you are so lucky to be doing your lessons there, could you let me know where you are doing your classes? I looked into doing some classes in Jonquiere but you had to sign up for 6 months which I can't do sadly.
Thought you might likes these from winter time to compare with how you see it now

I still think of you everytime I see a snowmobile

My course is with BLI - you can do from one week. They also have a centre in Montreal.

It has been snowing there recently! I would rather the snow than the rain

Index of my trip reports
Old 17 Apr 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

I will check them out. A week would be great to do. So many more people speak a bit of English now where we go & its really fun to speak half & half when you go to the relais now. We actually snowmobiled down from Jonquiere to QC once which was really interesting, took us two days with overnight stops coming through the park (only 3 hours by car!).
Enjoy your time there but you should see it in winter sometime ;-)
Old 18 Apr 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Have a fab time Mel. Looking forward to your trippie. X
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List