Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jun 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP.
The way I approach a new purchase is to make 3 lists and go from there
For example:-

Essential. Reversing camera, Sat nav, Heated front seats, Leather seats etc
Desirable. Electric seats, folding exterior mirrors, park assist etc
Value added. Split 60/40 rear seats, black roof lining etc.

I have things I wont compromise on and of course that list will be different for everybody.

Have fun picking a car as it's such a big investment you have to get it right.

This article on BBC News today is worth a read when you have 5 mins.

bbc/news/business-48747617

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Butterbeer
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
i've got a mazda 6, and absolutely love it. it would probably be a bit big for you though, but the mazda 2 and 3 should be perfect (i usually get one as a loaner for when mine is being serviced)

the refreshed models they released in the last couple of years have good ICE/satnav systems (apple/andriod auto is an option too i believe)

i dont have heated seats in mine, so not sure if thats an option but i think they now come with reversing cameras as standard

fuel-wise, i have a diesel estate, so get between 30-50mpg depending on whether i'm commuting, or doing longer runs at higher speed. nottingham to manchester up the a50 i can easily get 45mpg+ the smaller petrol skyactiv models should be able to do that easily

i'm kinda hoping that mazda release an electric version of the 2 soon, as my current car is 5 years old and all paid off next month, and i want to keep it for longer journeys (and DJ related stuff) and get a small EV for the daily commute. although saying that, the new MG SUV EV thing looks really nice, so i might get me one of them
Thank you for this, I was hoping for some personal experiences and its good to hear the sat nav system is good as this is quite important to me as I like to go different places but have no sense of direction! Yes the Mazda 6 does seem a bit too big of a jump size wise, so I was looking at the 2 and 3.

Thank you everyone else for the replies! I'm liking the sound of Mazda, and I also really like the sound of a higher seating position so I'll take a look at those crossovers mentioned, but are they as fuel efficient as smaller cars?
I've not even looked at Nissan or DS yet, so I'll take a look in to them tonight!
Butterbeer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Hi
A budget ,
A list of must haves.
Before I will chuck some models out.
Old 27 Jun 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have a Fiat 500 so totally understand

If I was going to change my car I like the look of the VW T-Roc, Toyota C-HR, Renault Captur, Mazda CX3 and the Peugeot 3008

Hope you find something.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Crossovers are as efficient as their car equivalent. They are really just the same platform on a higher suspension.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Butterbeer
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP.
The way I approach a new purchase is to make 3 lists and go from there
For example:-

Essential. Reversing camera, Sat nav, Heated front seats, Leather seats etc
Desirable. Electric seats, folding exterior mirrors, park assist etc
Value added. Split 60/40 rear seats, black roof lining etc.

I have things I wont compromise on and of course that list will be different for everybody.

Have fun picking a car as it's such a big investment you have to get it right.

This article on BBC News today is worth a read when you have 5 mins.

bbc/news/business-48747617
Thank you for the article, that was very interesting to read! I'm leaning away from a brand new car but it's good to know about when the registrations change and older stock getting sold cheaper if I do go that way!
Yes I have my essential and desirable list, but what I'd really like is a website where I can search those criteria without the make/model to see what makes and models have what I'm looking for, but I seem to be struggling to find a site that has all the options. Most will let you search for the more basic sat nav and air con for example, but I think I've only seen one site that has reversing camera and other maybe less common things amongst the options.

It's a huge investment, I think that's part of my struggle! Also, I'm trying to sort of future proof myself with the car so I have something more reliable that will last me a while hopefully so I don't hopefully have too many unexpected car related expenses in the next couple of years.
Butterbeer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve just bought a Nissan Micra and absolutely love it. Has everything you are looking for and more. It’s so lovely to drive and is great on fuel too.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP.
DuncanB above is very knowledgeable. Give him a few pointers and he will throw some options your way.

We were discussing 'extras' on the car forum the other day and something to bear in mind is the cost of replacing 'gadgets' when they go wrong and the guarantee has expired. The cost can be horrendous so worth considering.

For example my car has mood lighting strips over the door panels and in the foot wells. I have a purple colour at the moment but it has about 30 variations.

If that broke God knows what it would cost to repair!

Seat motors aren't cheap either.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Butterbeer
Trying for More Ears

Just figured out how to multi-quote

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Hi
A budget ,
A list of must haves.
Before I will chuck some models out.
I'm thinking around £10,000 ideally, but I'm willing to stretch the budget if need be as I intend to keep this car for a good few years!
Essential: Sat Nav, reversing camera, good fuel economy, petrol and preferably manual
Desirable: Heated steering wheel, heated seats, non-manual air conditioning (don't know the technical name!), Apple Car Play

Originally Posted by orlandosgr8 View Post
I have a Fiat 500 so totally understand

If I was going to change my car I like the look of the VW T-Roc, Toyota C-HR, Renault Captur, Mazda CX3 and the Peugeot 3008

Hope you find something.
Glad someone understands! I love how it looks inside, but I don't feel safe any more and its time for a bigger car so I can take the family out instead of relying on someone else car!
I love the look of the Renault Captur but not sure if it's a little too big, although when I parked next to one the other day there wasn't as much of a size difference as I expected between my car and it!

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Crossovers are as efficient as their car equivalent. They are really just the same platform on a higher suspension.
This is good to know, thank you! Off to do more research!
Old 27 Jun 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Butterbeer View Post
Just figured out how to multi-quote

I'm thinking around £10,000 ideally, but I'm willing to stretch the budget if need be as I intend to keep this car for a good few years!
Essential: Sat Nav, reversing camera, good fuel economy, petrol and preferably manual
Desirable: Heated steering wheel, heated seats, non-manual air conditioning (don't know the technical name!), Apple Car Play

Glad someone understands! I love how it looks inside, but I don't feel safe any more and its time for a bigger car so I can take the family out instead of relying on someone else car!
I love the look of the Renault Captur but not sure if it's a little too big, although when I parked next to one the other day there wasn't as much of a size difference as I expected between my car and it!

This is good to know, thank you! Off to do more research!
I drive a focus, it has like 75% of those features, (reversing sensors instead of camera ect.) but mine is 8 years old and I know ford have vastly improved features.
My sister has an 18 plate polo, I must say it drives very nice (she has the 1l 90ps engine - very nice) the only problem is the pools are pricey to get that kind of spec on.
I’m gonna say I drove a Mazda 2 whilst my car was in the dealer [recall fix], I hated it, felt very light, very small and very plastic, but then contract isn’t likely to be as crazy for you!
When helping my sister I test drive a 1lt 125bhp ecotboost fiesta and that was extremely nice to drive, it was about 4 years old, titanium spec with some extras, had everything you want!
Cora’s are love hate for most people (I have a friend who has one and hates it, once that loves it)
Another friend in a Kia Sportage, it’s a nice car, roomy, just a very different driving position (driven it a couple times, I wouldn’t have one for me, but it’s nice enough)
Finally Toyota Yaris you can get in a decent spec, a nice drive, but I still prefer fords?

Very much a ramble there!

In the south east there’s a couple of supermarket type places if your likely to be round the area (unbeatable car, or car giant, and I’m sure there’s another one!) that’s how my sister choose what she fancied, we just went and had a poke around everything!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List