Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Sep 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

As PPM says above, the rules are quite clear on the Norwegian website. I guess it's a little like speeding - you can get away with it a little, but as soon as you take too much of a liberty it's time to pay up.

I've only had by hand luggage weighed by Virgin once close on 15yrs ago. It was over 10kg and I was given a firm talking to not to buy any duty free / add anything to the bag once airside. Nowadays I'm normally in Upper Class and all they normally do is just look at the hand luggage and say OK.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Hopefully all airlines will start to get stricter soon , the amount of hand luggage being taken on BA yesterday was crazy .. taking up cabin crew time trying to find space due to overheads being full and people blocking aisles trying to force their stuff into the overhead lockers .
One person was told by the FA to stop ramming her stuff in or they were going to break the locker door .
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
Hopefully all airlines will start to get stricter soon , the amount of hand luggage being taken on BA yesterday was crazy .. taking up cabin crew time trying to find space due to overheads being full and people blocking aisles trying to force their stuff into the overhead lockers .
One person was told by the FA to stop ramming her stuff in or they were going to break the locker door .
I think a lot of the problem has been brought on by airlines themselves who have started to have cheaper hand luggage only flights.

Edited to add: I do however believe people should stick to the hand luggage rules.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Merligan
Very Serious Dibber

Merligan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Personally I think this is long overdue.

We flew Norwegian last year and checked a case in but there were loads of people doing the cheaper flight price with hand luggage only. The size of the bags they had were ridiculous and we struggled to find anywhere in the overhead lockers for our small bags as it was all taken up.

I weigh everything to make sure I am within the limits, one of life’s rule followers!

😁
Dibb Villa July 2012 Dibb Villa Sep 2013
Dibb Villa Sandy Ridge March 2015
Merligan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

This could be due to their financial issues.
Extra cost is extra revenue, not a lot, but maybe every pound counts
Extra weight effects mikes per gallon, which costs them.

Other airlines also do hand luggage weights and sizes.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkspideruk
Imagineer

pinkspideruk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
dont ba allow 23kg for hand luggage? thats prob why they were taking so much!

Sep 01 - Sep 20 Universal Endless Summer Surfside
pinkspideruk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

They did this on the wsy outta lgw 3week ago, follow the rules and ya wont get tripped up.
Old 14 Sep 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

When we flew with Ryan Air, something I will never do again people were having to leave duty free at the gate !,
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by pinkspideruk View Post
dont ba allow 23kg for hand luggage? thats prob why they were taking so much!
BA actually allow 46Kg for hand luggage. 23Kg for your cabin bag and 23kg for your smaller handbag etc.

The real issue is not weight as that dosen't make a bag smaller or make more room in the overhead locker, but people putting their 2nd bag in the overhead rather than under the seat in front. BA need to enforce this more on full flights, although everyone seems to get their luggage stored in the end, so maybe it just the bit that people like it being next to them that causes the issue.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

This is almost reassuring for me. I was feeling a bit paranoid about our hand luggage staying within size and weight limits - one of our cases fits the size guide - except for an extra handle on the size, so DH was going to remove the handle. I didn’t know if we were being a bit too nitpicking about it, but now I know how strictly it can be enforced, we’ll just go ahead and make sure we stick to the rules exactly (and stop feeling paranoid about it!)
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List