Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Sep 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

When you are terrified you are losing your beloved dog...

Our gorgeous Mr. Douglas has now collapsed about 3 times in the last 3 weeks. We are off to Italy in the next 2 weeks and I am terrified.

Last night after a walk, he got so excited about going home, he ran and then collapsed so badly we thought he had gone, we grabbed him and rubbed him hard, screaming for him to come back. Eventually after about 30 seconds he seemed to recover and thank god he was fine.

He has been fine today, but he is now 11, has god knows how many things wrong with him... we are terrified.

We are going to go to Italy for a week then taking them to Norfolk to our Cottage the week after.

Are we wrong to go away, should we stay. We are so torn. ?

xxxx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’m so sorry to hear this. I cannot imagine how worried you feel.

It’s so hard to offer advice but my first place to ask would be my vet. What have they said?
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

It has to be a personal decision I’m afraid. Only you know how you will feel if he goes when you are not there.

Personally, after going through this, we decided not to go away to spend some final time with our boy, but it’s a personal decision.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Do vets do check ups? If so, I’d get him checked over and see what they say. Based on what they say, I’d then make my decision.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Do vets do check ups? If so, I’d get him checked over and see what they say. Based on what they say, I’d then make my decision.
His heart is fine, but his lungs are not great.

He has been fine, but the last couple of days, he has gone downhill. xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sharonb
Imagineer

It’s such an awful feeling, we lost our wonderful Gizmo last year he was 14 I was absolutely devastated. We knew he was getting worse and had to make the awful decision to have him put to sleep, it was a few weeks before we were going away and if he had still been with us I was going to stay home with him, as I hated the thought of not being there if anything had happened. That was taken out of my hands when he became worse.

I totally understand what you are going through, but unfortunately only you can make that decision. I still miss Gizmo so much and still have not got another dog as I don’t know if I can go through that heartbreak again.

Sharon
May 2004 villa in Kissimmee
April 2005 villa in Kissimmee
May 2006 HRH, Hilton Grand Vacation I Drive, Villa on Rolling Hills
Christmas 2006, Fairfield Inn, LBV
Christmas 2007, Springhill Suites LBV, Hard Rock Hotel, POFQ
July/Aug 2008 5 weeks CSR, HGVC Seaworld, HRH

Future Trips: Orlando Aug 09
Orlando Christmas 09 with Mum and Dad
sharonb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sharonb View Post
It’s such an awful feeling, we lost our wonderful Gizmo last year he was 14 I was absolutely devastated. We knew he was getting worse and had to make the awful decision to have him put to sleep, it was a few weeks before we were going away and if he had still been with us I was going to stay home with him, as I hated the thought of not being there if anything had happened. That was taken out of my hands when he became worse.

I totally understand what you are going through, but unfortunately only you can make that decision. I still miss Gizmo so much and still have not got another dog as I don’t know if I can go through that heartbreak again.

Sharon
Sharon, what an age 14, you did something right. Its hard isn't it xx
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
The age is only relevant to the breed of dog 11 for a Jack Russell could be middle age but for a Great Dane is very old. Our old west highland terrier was 13 when she started to drink a lot for her. ( she had lots of operation on her legs when she was young two new knee joints in the first 3 years of her life leaving her in mild pain for the rest of her life but she was still a happy dog). When we took her to the vet he gave us 3 choices, 1 run a barrage of tests to find out the problem but he didn’t hold up much hope, 2 put her to sleep there and then, 3 take her home and give her the best time and when we knew it was the time bring her back to be put to sleep. We went with 3 and had 2 more months with her until she started to be unhappy you all know what I mean. Go to the vet they will give you the best advice.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Where is he going whilst you are on holiday ? Is he going somewhere where they will treat him the same as you do ? Do you think you not being with him will distress him ? Only you have the answers and you must make the decision that you feel is right , I know how much you love your dogs so maybe you could postpone the holiday until the time is right. Maybe talk to your vet who can give you better advice ?
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Could it be the hot weather is making his breathing worse and now it's cooling down he will be better?
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List