Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Sep 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Question holiday pay?

anyone know how holiday pay is worked out?
In dd's job they accrue holiday pay rather than hours but they never seem to pay her hardly anything. They say they work it out as an average but even when she works her normal hours in the run up they pay her way less than her usual pay.
She has just had 3 weekends off as holiday and they paid her less than £60 for the 6 shifts that she missed which doesn't seem right to me. In the month or so before she did have 2 days of sick (they don't get sick pay) and they only gave her 1 shift one week but otherwise she normally does 14-16 hours a week.

I also wondered if she was able to request to be paid some of her holiday pay as at this rate she'll never be paid anywhere near the amount she has accrued.

thanks
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

I can help but how many hours a weeek she is contracted for she work and whther she is paid monthly or weekly.
It is standard in retail, and elsewhere, for short hours contracts staff to get holiday for their contracted hours and holiday pay for their extra hours.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
anyone know how holiday pay is worked out?
In dd's job they accrue holiday pay rather than hours but they never seem to pay her hardly anything. They say they work it out as an average but even when she works her normal hours in the run up they pay her way less than her usual pay.
She has just had 3 weekends off as holiday and they paid her less than £60 for the 6 shifts that she missed which doesn't seem right to me. In the month or so before she did have 2 days of sick (they don't get sick pay) and they only gave her 1 shift one week but otherwise she normally does 14-16 hours a week.

I also wondered if she was able to request to be paid some of her holiday pay as at this rate she'll never be paid anywhere near the amount she has accrued.

thanks
It is hard to comment without a bit more information. What type of contract is she on, is it zero hours or something else? Also would need to know her pay rate to be able to say if the £60 is correct.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 01:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

You can have a look and put all details into the gov holiday pay website. It all seems odd to me.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 02:02 AM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

It would be worked out on contracted hour not hour worked if she has a 16 hour a week contract that’s all she will get paid holiday for.
Old 12 Sep 19, 02:58 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Mobile

As others have said it depends on her contract.
Those on a zero hours contract will get a pro rata amount paid every quarter
If contract gives annual leave as days then this would be clear and whether she can take them as days or paid
Old 12 Sep 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I used to work variable hours and holiday pay was around 12% of my total pay,the company I worked for paid this every month on top of my wages for that month, so I didnt recieve holiday pay as such when I was actually on holiday
britishgirl is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I am in Ireland so maybe things are a bit different but both my sons work in restaurants at weekends and summer holidays. Both get paid 8% holiday pay every week.
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Contract or not is irrelevant.

The spirit of the law, and now confirmed with several court cases, is an employee should not be any worse off when they go on holiday. It can be complicatd by contract hours and non contract hours, but your holiday pay must take both into consideration.

I think the gov.uk website says the average of the last 17 weeks pay should be use if there is not a method in place. But the important thing is that the employee does not see a dip in pay because they are not working those extra hours they normally do when they re on holidays.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
Contract or not is irrelevant.

The spirit of the law, and now confirmed with several court cases, is an employee should not be any worse off when they go on holiday. It can be complicatd by contract hours and non contract hours, but your holiday pay must take both into consideration.

I think the gov.uk website says the average of the last 17 weeks pay should be use if there is not a method in place. But the important thing is that the employee does not see a dip in pay because they are not working those extra hours they normally do when they re on holidays.
The nature of the contract is definitely relevant. A fixed hours contract would have fixed holiday hours, a zero hours contract would have variable holiday hours due, depending on what hours were worked. That is why people have asked for the contract details.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List