Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Oct 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Broadband issues

We're currently trying to decide whether to move our broadband or stay with Sky. We're unable to get fibre in our area. We're currently supposedly getting 22Mbps with Sky essential which is supposed to be good. We sometimes find it slow though. I think they say the average speed is 11Mbps on the essential package. Now offer the same average speed and we could either sign up contract free or have a contract with less fees and I think we can get cashback. I'm worried if we move to them our speeds will actually drop although I know they're owned by Sky. Is anyone with them? Would you recommend them? If we stay with Sky we need to pay £20 a month rather than £18 and sign up for 18 months. I have no idea when fibre will be available although our friends a few streets away have fibre.

Update: so I downloaded a speedcheck app when our friends were over the other day and at times we are getting as low as 0.49mbps download speed with the highest I've registered as being about 14.9. Is there anyway of speeding up what we get with Sky or if we move it to Now tv or is it a case of that the best we'll get unless we move to 4g? I did a test on my phone but on vodafone and the 4g was 34.9mbps. As well as not being able to get fibre at the moment we live in an area where we can't get Virgin.

Update: decided to go with Now and when I went to sign up it seems Fibre is now showing as available. Have signed up so will see how we get on!

Edited at 08:41 PM.
Orlando 2004 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

Moved from Sky to Now last year after the offer period ended and noticed no difference at all
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Isn’t sky and now the same company?
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Provided both supplier have enough backbone routing at their end you will get very similar speeds. The bottleneck is your distance from the exchange and the contention at that exchange.

Sounds like Sky are not unbundled on your exchange so both of the bottlenecks apply to all providers.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I moved from Sky to Now last year. They are so much the same product that my Sky router is still plugged in and working so I imagine you’ll get exactly what you get with Sky
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Provided both supplier have enough backbone routing at their end you will get very similar speeds. The bottleneck is your distance from the exchange and the contention at that exchange.

Sounds like Sky are not unbundled on your exchange so both of the bottlenecks apply to all providers.
Thanks. Yes not too sure about the exchange but it seems we can't have fibre with anyone yet.
Old 2 Oct 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Hmr89 View Post
Moved from Sky to Now last year after the offer period ended and noticed no difference at all
Thanks
Old 2 Oct 19, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
I moved from Sky to Now last year. They are so much the same product that my Sky router is still plugged in and working so I imagine you’ll get exactly what you get with Sky
Thanks
Old 2 Oct 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Do you have 4G coverage? If so this could be the answer for you.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
Do you have 4G coverage? If so this could be the answer for you.
Worth considering, a 4G wireless router on Three can be quite cost effective these days if the signal is good.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List