Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Aug 16, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sunnysandra
Very Serious Dibber

Indirect flights - when and with who

As we have to go in August next year we are thinking of indirect flights to bring cost down . For those who fly indirect when do you book and with who ?
sunnysandra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SunshineValley
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sunnysandra View Post
As we have to go in August next year we are thinking of indirect flights to bring cost down . For those who fly indirect when do you book and with who ?
There are a few options, but suggest that you look at

kayak

where you can put an alert in to give you the best prices when they change. There are various connecting airports in the US, such as Washington, Charlotte, Philadelphia, New York etc. and each airline has its own 'hub'.

Alternatively, have a look at travelling via Dublin instead - saved us an absolute fortune this year at Xmas!
SunshineValley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post

We are flying Birmingham to MCO via JFK next Sunday with American Airlines. Booked this as price was excellent at £380 return. Starting to panic a bit as last Sunday the flight was cancelled and todays flight is about 3 hours late. If this happens next week we will miss our connection and haven't a clue what will happen! I didn't do any research before booking and now realise that you get what you pay for. The plane is a narrow body with no seat back entertainment, however, luggage and seat booking are included and I will be very happy so long as it departs on time and all my plans fall into place. The alternative for us was to pay around £550 each for Gatwick to Orlando and the budget just didn't stretch that far this time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Newbie
slightly serious Dibber

My brother was flying home from mco yesterday with AA and it has been a rotten end to his holiday. The flight was delayed on way out but it was only by just over an hour so no bother. Yesterday has been crazy apparently they announced the pilot was held up on another route, then the plane needed to cool down. They called everyone with connecting flights to desk to rearrange flights. He queued for almost 2 hours to get sorted. After 3 hours they handed out food vouchers but immediately called boarding. Everyone headed to boarding and they were not allowed to board. When they eventually landed at JFK he had also missed his rescheduled flight. Had to stay in hotel at airport last night to get flight at 5.30 (10.30 our time) today. Don't know if this happens often as its his first time flying with them.
Old 21 Aug 16, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sunnysandra
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for replies I am waiting foe aer lingus prices to come out they seem to be the favourite with most people who fly indirect
sunnysandra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Just flown in from DUB-PHL-MCO with Anerican.

Excellent service, excellent food very smooth flights.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

We normally fly direct but I wanted to pop out at Easter as well as August.
Virgin £1400 ec AA £780 via charter travel... We stopped at Philly for 1hr 40mn... Just enough time for immigration and a snack. On the return it was only 50 mins stop over. So worked out really well for us. Yes I would do it again if I get to do a few more breaks in Florida
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
loobylou44
Very Serious Dibber

We have flown the Man-Phil-MCO route 3 times whilst it was run by US Airways and twice since AA merged with US and are about to do it a sixth time. The first time we had approx 3-4 hours connection time outbound and inbound and really found it dragged now always choose the shortest connection times which is approx 2 hours outbound and 1 hour inbound, we much prefer this quick turnaround and (as yet!) have had no problems and would recommend it
Boston & Cape Cod - Oct 2017
loobylou44 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Paddcomp
Imagineer

Mobile

Some good points made in previous posts, my recommendation on top to consider would be choose an airline hub as your intermediate airport.
Delta in Atlanta will have huge resources to connect you to MCO should there be a problem.
A few years ago our Delta flight was delayed and we missed our connection. Delta recognised that over 100 people needed to get to Orlando and put on another unscheduled flight. If this was somewhere other than Atlanta I'm not sure how quickly we'd have got to Orlando.

Lots of airlines and lots of hubs.
Easter 2014 - Oak Island cove Dibb Villa
Easter 2018 - Lindfields Dibb Villa
Paddcomp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Newbie
slightly serious Dibber

OP as you can see from these few posts everyone's experience can be different and I think it can happen with all airlines but try all sites and watch the dibb because dribblers post their deals for others to see. When you get a price you are happy with go for it.