Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 12 Sep 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellesdream
slightly serious Dibber

I love Christmas and love all the preparation for it. I separated in June 2020 but my ex came over and spent Christmas day with us last year as it was all new. This year I think it will be just me and the kids, I'm a little worried it will blend into a 'normal' day!
The kids (14 and 12) have asked to change lunch from traditional to Christmas ham, cheeses, crackers etc.
Otherwise there is only my parents to visit and for the kids to go to their dads for some of it.
I'm open to any new tradition suggestions or ideas if how to make it special!
Bellesdream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida1990
Excited about Disney

I love Christmas, I’m already planning my new front door garland- just need the Range to open their Christmas department and I’m off. I trim up mid Nov and leave them up well into January, utterly love my house at Christmas 🎄🎄🎄. We have always gone to Christmas markets in Poland, Germany, France but obviously we couldn’t last year so we have booked Chester and Liverpool Christmas markets this year in Dec, fingers crossed they go ahead. I really missed all my family and friends seeing my decorations last year, I worked so hard on my tree and only my Dad and Sister saw it ( apart from hubby and sons), this year I will invite everyone I know to come and see it and enjoy a mulled wine with me over the many weeks I have the tree up..🎄🎄🎄
Florida1990 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Florida1990 View Post
I love Christmas, I’m already planning my new front door garland- just need the Range to open their Christmas department and I’m off. I trim up mid Nov and leave them up well into January, utterly love my house at Christmas 🎄🎄🎄. We have always gone to Christmas markets in Poland, Germany, France but obviously we couldn’t last year so we have booked Chester and Liverpool Christmas markets this year in Dec, fingers crossed they go ahead. I really missed all my family and friends seeing my decorations last year, I worked so hard on my tree and only my Dad and Sister saw it ( apart from hubby and sons), this year I will invite everyone I know to come and see it and enjoy a mulled wine with me over the many weeks I have the tree up..🎄🎄🎄
That sounds absolutely wonderful - since I had DS, I’ve even been getting into the swing of decorating the house a little bit for Halloween - although not as much as I do for Christmas. I go all out. I hope you’ll post some pics on here once you’re all decorated! I can’t wait to see 😍
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellesdream View Post
I love Christmas and love all the preparation for it. I separated in June 2020 but my ex came over and spent Christmas day with us last year as it was all new. This year I think it will be just me and the kids, I'm a little worried it will blend into a 'normal' day!
The kids (14 and 12) have asked to change lunch from traditional to Christmas ham, cheeses, crackers etc.
Otherwise there is only my parents to visit and for the kids to go to their dads for some of it.
I'm open to any new tradition suggestions or ideas if how to make it special!
My parents separated when I was about the same age as your youngest. I know it worried my mum a lot too - but I still loved Christmas just the same, even if it was a bit different to how it used to be. I’m sure your kids will want to see you and their Dad happy above all else - and sometimes that means being apart.

What kind of traditions do you have already? I have a little felt tree that goes on the wall for my DS to decorate while I decorate our main tree. Could you perhaps get them their own small tree to decorate together? You could make an afternoon/evening of it with hot chocolate and Christmas films/songs?
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

I have booked Christmas Eve breakfast at a local coffee shop for family, and tonight booked The lanterns, at Chester zoo. We do these every year. Last year a local photographer took pictures of his favourite decorated houses, I was shocked to see ours on his website, so will have to make it even better this year 😀. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy x
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
In my youth it was a bit tricky. Parents were divorced which was unusual in those days. Christmas day was at my grandmas with my mum, sis all all the maternal family there. Boxing day was groundhog day as my Dad and Stepmum saved their Christmas day to have with me and my sis. So we basically had two christmas days which was a bit much but everyone meant well.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’ve been gathering stuff for door wreaths /garlands / table settings
I’ve got all my fall / Halloween stuff out the loft gone through my 4th July stuff taken out the red / white stars lanterns etc
Ordered ribbon signs deco mesh but I’ll shop in Florida when we get there if you see my countdown
I’ve got Christmas paper cards gift boxes etc all bought when the shops opened after Christmas lock down
I love all the preparation decorating cooking and that lovely feeling of smugness com the middle of December when I can just sit back and enjoy it without stress
Heck my turkey beef and ham are all ordered and my chutney pickles mince meat Christmas cake all made even the disposable foil trays I use on Christmas Day never use them any other time I bought in January on our first essential lock down shop
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I’ve been gathering stuff for door wreaths /garlands / table settings
I’ve got all my fall / Halloween stuff out the loft gone through my 4th July stuff taken out the red / white stars lanterns etc
Ordered ribbon signs deco mesh but I’ll shop in Florida when we get there if you see my countdown
I’ve got Christmas paper cards gift boxes etc all bought when the shops opened after Christmas lock down
I love all the preparation decorating cooking and that lovely feeling of smugness com the middle of December when I can just sit back and enjoy it without stress
Heck my turkey beef and ham are all ordered and my chutney pickles mince meat Christmas cake all made even the disposable foil trays I use on Christmas Day never use them any other time I bought in January on our first essential lock down shop
I need some lessons from you on being organised! 🤣 My autumn wreath is being delivered next week but got 2 birthdays (mine this Sunday and DS’ a week on Sunday) to get out of the way first and then we’re in full on build up to Christmas mode 😍

Last year I was pretty organised with most things bought and wrapped, the Tesco delivery sorted and the meat ordered with the butcher way in advance. Meant we could spend the few days in the lead up doing fun stuff with our little one once he broke up from nursery 😍

Going to try and be that little bit more organised this year as we’ll have Christmas socials with work and things going back into the calendar so I know I won’t have as much free time as I did last year.

Lovely seeing your countdown! We went via Jamaica and had a wonderful time - all of the stress was worth it!
Old 15 Sep 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Christmas wasn’t always enjoyable when I was younger, family fights & incidents, my dad not wanting to see me and as I got older, my mum just generally not enjoying the whole thing.

Since I’ve got older I just enjoy making the most of it. Going to garden centres to look at the decorations, going to Christmas/winter events and visiting the markets. The BER months are my favourite months and this time until January is my favourite time of year!
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I always like looking at Christmas decorations and spreads in magazines but I'm usually too busy/lazy to do more than a tree myself!
I've been saying no to works outings way before Covid, I'd rather spend time with friends and family. Usually a quiet Christmas day with DH and DS and then hopefully a family get together on Boxing Day. Since my mum passed away a few years ago its been an effort to do much to be honest but it's good to get a break off work and some chill time.
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List