Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 28 Aug 21, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Hi Abby, I am following this process too as there seems to be a lot to learn and get my head around! 🤯 I’m not saying it’ll do it but you never know if you lead the way! 😊

Out of interest how much are dues? I presume they depend on the amount of points? But an idea of what the commitment would be a year once the initial points have been bought?

Kat
Hey Kat

Dues is a question I can answer! It’s $7.11 per point so 100 points would be $711 per year, 150 points is $1066 200 points $1422, literally just multiply the number of points on the contract by 7.11. For the 150 points I'm after it would be less than £1000 per year.

I'll let you know how we get on

X

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Don’t forget the dues go up each year (I estimate 5%) and will vary by resort.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I've not read through the 3 pages but I'm sure you've had some great advice.

Just to say that I bought in in 2002, never regretted it for a second, my contracts have seen me through my children growing up, divorce & being a single mum and now DH and I going as a couple so the way we've used it has changed so much over the years.

I swore years ago that I'd never buy direct again with the price increases, but did add on in 2018 and after a lot of consideration did end up buying direct at CCV, the value given the longer contract (and the add on incentive) made it far better value than buying resale in our situation.

Good luck, my original 2 BCV contracts are selling now for more than double the price I paid for them in 2002 & 2003, yet we've had 19 years worth of amazing holidays from them.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I've been a DVC owner for about 17 years, initially owning at OKW and buying BLT direct as soon as it was released as this is my preferred location. I also added on at ALK for the ability to book concierge and because it's the closest resort to Rolling Oaks on the 192 for off site restaurants and a Super Target. Over the years I've been able to use the points to stay at all the DVC properties apart from Hilton Head and VGC. Our use of the points have changed over the years and I sold the OKW contract as I had too many points. Now we just dip in and out of the parks occasionally, preferring to enjoy the resort and do things off site.

I also haven't read all 3 pages but I did see that your preferred resort it Copper Creek but you're considering purchasing at SSR. I know in the past some have advocated "sleep around points" where you buy at a cheaper / less popular resort with the view to switching resorts at 7 months but in light of covid, this probably isn't sound advice at the moment. With the amount of spare points out there it's going to be difficult to switch to the more popular resorts for the foreseeable future so the advice of buy where you want to stay really holds true. If you'd be happy mainly staying at SSR then go for the cheaper cost but if you really like a particular resort give it some serious though. I have not idea of current resale points costs but have you looked at Boulder Ridge as an alternative to Copper Creek?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Thank you all for the advice and things to think about.

This weekend we are going to decide which contract to make an offer on. I have a question about banked points and use by dates, hoping you can help me.

A 175 point contract with June use year means the points are allocated on 1st June and need to be used by 31st May, or banked by 31st January for use by 31st May in the following year? I believe this is correct.

OK, so a contract I have seen is for 175 points June use year. There are 102 points banked from June 20 and 175 in June 21 plus 175 coming in June 22 and so on. Do the 102 points have to be used by 31st May 2022? Meaning I couldn't use them in July/August 2022.

Having 278 points seemed like a great bonus first trip, but I can't see us being able to go before summer 2022, even without the covid situation.

Thank you
Wow Abby - so exciting that you are already planning to make an offer. This year we purchased resale and the process from offer to us being able to book at our new "home" was about 11 weeks! Felt like forever but means you could be proud owners before Christmas! Really good luck We really have no regrets at all
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Hil
VIP Dibber

Hey Kat

Dues is a question I can answer! It’s $7.11 per point so 100 points would be $711 per year, 150 points is $1066 200 points $1422, literally just multiply the number of points on the contract by 7.11. For the 150 points I'm after it would be less than £1000 per year.

I'll let you know how we get on

X
Just to add info for Kat - every home resort has slightly different dues price per point. The above applies to SSR but is a good 'ball park' guide :-)
Hil is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Hil
VIP Dibber

Thank you all for the advice and things to think about.

This weekend we are going to decide which contract to make an offer on. I have a question about banked points and use by dates, hoping you can help me.

A 175 point contract with June use year means the points are allocated on 1st June and need to be used by 31st May, or banked by 31st January for use by 31st May in the following year? I believe this is correct.

OK, so a contract I have seen is for 175 points June use year. There are 102 points banked from June 20 and 175 in June 21 plus 175 coming in June 22 and so on. Do the 102 points have to be used by 31st May 2022? Meaning I couldn't use them in July/August 2022.

Having 278 points seemed like a great bonus first trip, but I can't see us being able to go before summer 2022, even without the covid situation.

Thank you
Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Exciting times
Hil is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Hi Abby, I am following this process too as there seems to be a lot to learn and get my head around! 🤯 I’m not saying it’ll do it but you never know if you lead the way! 😊

Out of interest how much are dues? I presume they depend on the amount of points? But an idea of what the commitment would be a year once the initial points have been bought?

Kat
Dues vary per resort and increase each year, there's a handy chart here to give you an idea of 2020 and 2021 dues...

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Thanks to those who better explained my post about dues being $7.11 per point... I didn't make it clear in my reply this was the cost at SSR specifically and that it is a different rate at each resort and that they will increase each year.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I've not read through the 3 pages but I'm sure you've had some great advice.

Just to say that I bought in in 2002, never regretted it for a second, my contracts have seen me through my children growing up, divorce & being a single mum and now DH and I going as a couple so the way we've used it has changed so much over the years.

I swore years ago that I'd never buy direct again with the price increases, but did add on in 2018 and after a lot of consideration did end up buying direct at CCV, the value given the longer contract (and the add on incentive) made it far better value than buying resale in our situation.

Good luck, my original 2 BCV contracts are selling now for more than double the price I paid for them in 2002 & 2003, yet we've had 19 years worth of amazing holidays from them.
Thank you. I have looked at buying direct and at the moment Disney are only selling Riviera or Aulani. I don't want Riviera because of the restrictions and so ruled these both out.

I'm still quite tempted by CCV, but can get more points for the money I have at SSR.