Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 28 Aug 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
I've been a DVC owner for about 17 years, initially owning at OKW and buying BLT direct as soon as it was released as this is my preferred location. I also added on at ALK for the ability to book concierge and because it's the closest resort to Rolling Oaks on the 192 for off site restaurants and a Super Target. Over the years I've been able to use the points to stay at all the DVC properties apart from Hilton Head and VGC. Our use of the points have changed over the years and I sold the OKW contract as I had too many points. Now we just dip in and out of the parks occasionally, preferring to enjoy the resort and do things off site.

I also haven't read all 3 pages but I did see that your preferred resort it Copper Creek but you're considering purchasing at SSR. I know in the past some have advocated "sleep around points" where you buy at a cheaper / less popular resort with the view to switching resorts at 7 months but in light of covid, this probably isn't sound advice at the moment. With the amount of spare points out there it's going to be difficult to switch to the more popular resorts for the foreseeable future so the advice of buy where you want to stay really holds true. If you'd be happy mainly staying at SSR then go for the cheaper cost but if you really like a particular resort give it some serious though. I have not idea of current resale points costs but have you looked at Boulder Ridge as an alternative to Copper Creek?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you. I have read this advice elsewhere...to buy where you want to stay...and so this is something at the back of my mind. You are right I do need to make sure we would be happy staying at SSR and not the other resorts before commiting to anything.

I have looked at Boulder Ridge but the contract expires in 2042 same as OKW, Boardwalk and Beach Club. The cost per point is not massively cheaper than SSR at about $120 per point so it didn't seem to be as good a deal to me. Plus the dues at Boulder are $8.11 so $1 more per point which would add up.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Wow Abby - so exciting that you are already planning to make an offer. This year we purchased resale and the process from offer to us being able to book at our new "home" was about 11 weeks! Felt like forever but means you could be proud owners before Christmas! Really good luck We really have no regrets at all
I've been thinking about buying DVC for a year or so when our trip last year was cancelled as we had spare money...it's just the last hurdle of actually doing it!

Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Thank you. I have looked at buying direct and at the moment Disney are only selling Riviera or Aulani. I don't want Riviera because of the restrictions and so ruled these both out.

I'm still quite tempted by CCV, but can get more points for the money I have at SSR.
Have a look at the expiry dates also, although the SSR points will be cheaper per point, if they're until 2068 then that may (or may not depending on your plans) be better value to you, I've no idea when SSR contracts expire but assume it's 2042 as they went on sale in 2003/4, even if you're not planning on using them for that long, it will increase the resale value at a latter date.

Best advice I had in 2002 was to buy where you're happy staying and that advice stands true through to today, will you be unhappy if you can't get the other resorts, or will you be perfectly happy staying at your home resort, that's a really important consideration.

We booked early December at CCV at 11 months for 2019, it's a really popular week as very low points cost, we couldn't change it at 7 months (not that we wanted to) but one good example of even pre pandemic when moving away from your home resort may not always be possible.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Have a look at the expiry dates also, although the SSR points will be cheaper per point, if they're until 2068 then that may (or may not depending on your plans) be better value to you, I've no idea when SSR contracts expire but assume it's 2042 as they went on sale in 2003/4, even if you're not planning on using them for that long, it will increase the resale value at a latter date.

Best advice I had in 2002 was to buy where you're happy staying and that advice stands true through to today, will you be unhappy if you can't get the other resorts, or will you be perfectly happy staying at your home resort, that's a really important consideration.

We booked early December at CCV at 11 months for 2019, it's a really popular week as very low points cost, we couldn't change it at 7 months (not that we wanted to) but one good example of even pre pandemic when moving away from your home resort may not always be possible.
Thank you. Yes expiry is something I've tried to take into consideration. SSR is 2054, so has 12 more years compared to Boardwalk, Beach Club and OKW.

Old 28 Aug 21, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Copper Creek or SSR

We can realistically afford either:
100 points at Copper Creek, OR
150 points at SSR

The Copper Creek points expire in 2068 whereas SSR expire in 2054.

This is the decision we need to make. More points but shorter life. Less points but guaranteed to be able to stay at CCV.

Old 28 Aug 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Copper Creek or SSR

150 points at SSR

This is the decision we need to make. More points but shorter life. Less points but guaranteed to be able to stay at CCV.
For me the decider would come down to that one simple question...

"Will I be happy staying at SSR if I can't get another resort?"

If it's yes, then fantastic, 150 points. If it's no, then whilst a better deal, it's a lot of money to spend to risk ending up wishing you'd bought elsewhere.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Amyzing
Trying for More Ears

We are very much in the same boat as you, we have spare cash from cancelled holidays so feel now is the best time to purchase and probably the only time we will ever have this much available cash for it!
We too love CCV, we even did a tour of them on our last visit but I don’t think we will be able to buy enough points for a two week holiday so have also been looking at SSR. We actually love the look of the renovated rooms and also how close it is to Disney Springs.
I think our only concern is how long it takes for resale to go through, I know on the other forum some people have been waiting a few months so it worries me that by the time it has gone through and we have the points there will be no availability! I enquired with Disney direct about purchasing DVC and they have an offer on currently which I believe finishes very soon which brings the price down to $177 per point for SSR but this is obviously still much more than the resale prices are. The only benefit to buying direct is it goes through very quickly and you get the DVC perks.
Would love to know how you get on, it might push me along on my decision making 😂
Amyzing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

So what are the differences from buying direct to resale as far as perks go.
Also for 2 weeks in SSR in September what would be the buying costs and yearly dues.
We would go every year.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
So what are the differences from buying direct to resale as far as perks go.
Also for 2 weeks in SSR in September what would be the buying costs and yearly dues.
We would go every year.

14 nights at SSR

studio 165 studio preferred 193 one bed 332 one bed preferred 389
two bed 440 two bed preferred 529

Dues (maintenance fees) currently $7.11 per point per year.

Average resale price now around $125 per point, buying resale means you are not eligible for a blue card which gives AP, merchandise and dining discounts.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 21, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Copper Creek or SSR

150 points at SSR

As posted above, if you'd be happy staying at SSR then go for it but if your heart is with CCV I'd give it serious consideration. Resort hopping used to be a lot easier a few years ago but more DVC accommodation coming on line has made it much harder and Covid is currently a game changer in terms of easily switching resorts, especially for Europeans who tend to book longer stays.

CCV is a magical resort with wonderful theming and in a great location and that's the reason the points are more expensive to buy than SSR. I agree that an extra 50 points a year is tempting but with CCV you're getting an extra 14 years. That in turn will make a huge difference to the resale value should you ever decide to sell in the future. With SSR already being so much cheaper the gap in prices between them will widen considerably, plus smaller contracts are always desirable.

The only other thing I'll add is that it's almost a given that these won't be your only points you'll probably add on at some stage so I'd be surprised if you stayed at 100 / 150 points

Edited at 09:55 PM.
TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List