Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jul 15, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post

I used the Lynx bus service last time I went in 2013 as had not heard of Uber then. Since hearing about them and reading other dibbers opinions we plan on giving them a go for our site trips in August this year. Lynx was good but Uber means not having to get up quite so early or panicking about making it back in time for ADR's if having to get 2 Lynx buses. We're being a bit tight not wanting to pay for cabs but with the Uber quotes not being much more then the Lynx we feel it's worth trying
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 15, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
addick1
Excited about Disney

Whatever trade any of you are in, just think what would happen to you and your families if another company set up doing it cheaper by using cheap labour and whilst at the same time ignoring all of the licensing rules for your industry. Yes its cheaper but is destroying the established cab companies that have followed all of the rules
addick1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 15, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
newstewart
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by addick1 View Post
Whatever trade any of you are in, just think what would happen to you and your families if another company set up doing it cheaper by using cheap labour and whilst at the same time ignoring all of the licensing rules for your industry. Yes its cheaper but is destroying the established cab companies that have followed all of the rules
It happens all the time - its called progression.
newstewart is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 15, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Jokeybhoy
Very Serious Dibber

I used über over the last 2 weeks.They were very reliable and very cheap.A prime example from a night I used mears because my children were scared from a lightning storm.
Mears 3.5 mile trip from beach club resort to POR cost $14 on the meter.
Uber 12 mile trip to universal $14.
Trips to Walmart $8,bahama breeze $6.
Jokeybhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 15, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by addick1 View Post
Yes its cheaper but is destroying the established cab companies that have followed all of the rules
In London at least, "The Knowledge" was defunct with the introduction of reliable and detailed satnav. Black cabs are just expensive, mostly don't take credit cards (wink wink) and offer very little in differentiation.

In the UK the all have to be vetted and pay insurance. Do they earn less - probably. But then black cab drivers have been milking it for decades (just like the transport unions).

If they offered an "even slightly competitive product" people would choose it. But black cabs are 50%-100% more expensive than Uber. Then keep the meter running whilst we detour to a cash machine because the card machine "isn't working".

Adapt or die. I just wish they'd choose and get on with it.
Old 4 Jul 15, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
KFJames
Imagineer

KFJames's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Jokeybhoy View Post
I used über over the last 2 weeks.They were very reliable and very cheap.A prime example from a night I used mears because my children were scared from a lightning storm.
Mears 3.5 mile trip from beach club resort to POR cost $14 on the meter.
Uber 12 mile trip to universal $14.
Trips to Walmart $8,bahama breeze $6.
Hi

Can I ask where your trip to walmart originated from... $8 sounds like a bargain. Want to use Uber for a trip to the florida mall or similar from SSR or BWV.
Old 4 Jul 15, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
anita1963
Imagineer

thinking of using this service but a bit scared ! just myself and 13y old son ..are they safe ?

Anita
anita1963 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 15, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

The question is can you ever be safe with a taxi driver, a mini cab driver or an uber driver.
One will be licensed one will work for a private company one with have bought into a website and posted a profile.
Pay your money and take your chance you cannot be 100% with any of them in reality.
Old 4 Jul 15, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post

When you book with Uber (in London at least) you immediately get on your phone:
- the car licence plate
- a mugshot of the driver (no prison bars)

Given they need a UK bank account to pay money into, insurance, a PCO licence and MOT I would say - in London at least - they are as well regulated as any other taxi driver.

I am sure once they have land-grabbed enough market share they will increase prices. Until then it's almost as cheap as the bus with referrals/discounts

Edited at 06:58 PM. Reason: add
Old 4 Jul 15, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
anita1963
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
The question is can you ever be safe with a taxi driver, a mini cab driver or an uber driver.
One will be licensed one will work for a private company one with have bought into a website and posted a profile.
Pay your money and take your chance you cannot be 100% with any of them in reality.
Wow your a happy chap !
I have been to Florida many years
I travel on my own with a child and you have just scared me !
I now don't want to travel in anything !
anita1963 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread