Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
Have you looked at split ticketing for the trains?
I’m not really sure what that means? I go the 4th June so it is soon and only has first or last thing available and I don’t have port times
Old 6 May 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
I’m not really sure what that means? I go the 4th June so it is soon and only has first or last thing available and I don’t have port times
So there is a website Split Ticketing which checks if your journey can be made cheaper by buying tickets in segments rather than the whole journey.

Take a look and see if it saves anything. It isn't advance prices so timing shouldn't matter.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Lizzim View Post
So there is a website Split Ticketing which checks if your journey can be made cheaper by buying tickets in segments rather than the whole journey.

Take a look and see if it saves anything. It isn't advance prices so timing shouldn't matter.
Will look now, thankyou very much x
Old 13 May 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
We just kept trying online and managed to get tickets the day before - and there were 8 of us! We were chatting with a few who were literally straight off the ship as we docked and they all managed to get tickets - hope you manage to as I love the journey
Good news, because of your message, I kept trying, and I had success... So thankyou.
There were 2 better times available, one was 9am ish, but I went for 1.35pm, getting back to Flam 3.40pm. The cruise itinerary says arrive early morning, leave early evening, so I'm hopeful of it being ok time wise.
Fingers crossed xx

It cost 590nok which says its £51.92 but we'll see when it clears my account. Its the only thing I'm booking in advance, everything else will be nice and cheap hopefully, as I've only allowed myself £200 port money, of which over a quarter has just gone
Old 13 May 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We visit Stavanger in June and even though we’ve been before we had planned to just wander around but then I noticed that this place is a short bus ride away.

It’s called Sverd i Fjell, the site of an ancient battle. It’s on the no 16 bus route (Nkr 37 each way) and takes about 15 minutes to get there. Outbound buses depart 12 and 42 mins past the hour and return at 08 and 38 mins past the hour. We’re going to give it a go.
kolumbus.no/en/
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

There were 2 better times available, one was 9am ish, but I went for 1.35pm, getting back to Flam 3.40pm. The cruise itinerary says arrive early morning, leave early evening, so I'm hopeful of it being ok time wise.
Fingers crossed
The port of Flam has your ship arriving at 08.45 and departing 17.30.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
We visit Stavanger in June and even though we’ve been before we had planned to just wander around but then I noticed that this place is a short bus ride away.

It’s called Sverd i Fjell, the site of an ancient battle. It’s on the no 16 bus route (Nkr 37 each way) and takes about 15 minutes to get there. Outbound buses depart 12 and 42 mins past the hour and return at 08 and 38 mins past the hour. We’re going to give it a go.
kolumbus.no/en/
That's very interesting thankyou, I might see what the weather is looking like.

I was thinking

Flam - Railway £52
Bergen - Funicular up, walk down £6
Stavanger - Maybe the canning museum or the oil museum, or both. £20 for both say, possibly your battle site if sunny and just one museum
Alesund - Hop on hop off bus with trips to the aquarium, and the open air museum. £57

This comes to about £135 so left over pennies for coffee, snacks and souvenirs.

I'm planning on filling both my water bottle and my coffee flask on the on the way out at port, and having a good breakfast, and packing some snacks, we'll see how it goes
Old 13 May 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

That's very interesting thankyou, I might see what the weather is looking like.

I was thinking

Flam - Railway £52
Bergen - Funicular up, walk down £6
Stavanger - Maybe the canning museum or the oil museum, or both. £20 for both say, possibly your battle site if sunny and just one museum
Alesund - Hop on hop off bus with trips to the aquarium, and the open air museum. £57

This comes to about £135 so left over pennies for coffee, snacks and souvenirs.

I'm planning on filling both my water bottle and my coffee flask on the on the way out at port, and having a good breakfast, and packing some snacks, we'll see how it goes
Haha. You sound just like us - making sandwiches in a corner of the buffet at breakfast! We plan on going to the aquarium in Ålesund, there is a public bus that goes out there. frammr.no/ezflow_mrfylke/ruter?lang=en The aquarium looks pretty good.
Old 13 May 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Haha. You sound just like us - making sandwiches in a corner of the buffet at breakfast! We plan on going to the aquarium in Ålesund, there is a public bus that goes out there. frammr.no/ezflow_mrfylke/ruter?lang=en The aquarium looks pretty good.
It does look good, and I saw the bus or the 30 min walk. I just also saw the open air museum which looked interesting on a nice day, and I walk and read quickly so contemplated both. However all is weather dependant of course. I believe we should plan for anything and everything weather wise 😂
Old 13 May 19, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Stavanger is lovely. We just walked around and had a coffee. It helped that the sun was shining so it was a lovely day just to be outside.

In Bergen I really enjoyed the funicular. Get off the ship early and head straight there. By the time we came back down there were enormous queues as all the tour buses had turned up. After the funicular we again just walked around the town.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List