Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
It looks stunning , We are considering surprising dh next year with a trip to Iceland to try and catch the northern lights for his 50th . Would 2/3 nights visit be enough ? Any tips on who to book hoteis and car hire with as well . I just don’t know where to start or best place to try and see them . I think August/sept is the best time to go for them .
We did 4 nights, although we could have done more as we didn’t do half as much as we wanted! I would say at least 3 nights personally.

We booked our hotel with Expedia and flights direct with Icelandair. We didn’t bother with a car as we booked tours through Grayline.

For the Northern Lights it is best to go as far into winter as you can, so between October to March, although end of August and beginning of September you might have a chance. We saw them faintly at the beginning of October.

klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
It looks stunning , We are considering surprising dh next year with a trip to Iceland to try and catch the northern lights for his 50th . Would 2/3 nights visit be enough ? Any tips on who to book hoteis and car hire with as well . I just don’t know where to start or best place to try and see them . I think August/sept is the best time to go for them .
You can see a fair bit in 3/4 days but sadly it will be the hugely busy bits. Lots of people just stay in Reykjavik and then hop on a bus tour of The Golden circle, possibly a tour of the south ( to Vík) and then The Blue Lagoon.
We loved the quieter West, North and East - we could go for ages without seeing a car let alone a coach!
You can book hotels via hotels.com or booking.com etc.
Cars - all the major operators are there - Dollar, thrifty etc
Edited to add I wouldn’ opt for Aug for Northern lights - you want darkness so Dec/Jan but Oct - March generally, To be honest, it’s a crap shoot, we had two weeks but it was a full moon, sometimes cloudy and low aurora activity in the area. The other thing is it could happen at 3am or 6pm... so actually being awake and in an area to see them requires an amount of luck.
😀

Edited at 12:10 AM.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Fabulous thank you , I can start my research now .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Wow ! what amazing photos , were they taken with a Camera or Phone?
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Beautiful photos OP. What an eye you have! I will show to DH later. It’s on our bucket list. Silly question, but not silly to us, (we have an autistic DS), are English TV Channels readily available in the hotels? Did wifi work ok?
Old 24 Oct 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

Stunning photos...we absolutely loved Iceland and would go back in a heartbeat. Definitely the most expensive place I’ve ever been though.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ILoveDaveLamb View Post
Beautiful photos OP. What an eye you have! I will show to DH later. It’s on our bucket list. Silly question, but not silly to us, (we have an autistic DS), are English TV Channels readily available in the hotels? Did wifi work ok?
Hi not a daft question - we were very connected all the time. 3G and 4G was widely available so whilst we were travelling in the car we were listening to podcasts etc and googling.

At least two of the places we stayed didn’t have TVs at all - we had loaded iPads with us so it wasn’t an issue. Everywhere we stayed, from tiny cabins to hotels had good free wifi. A couple of the places had tv with some English channels but it was impacted by the high wind - so not a stable signal. And a couple of the places had amazing tv with full satellite packages showing the lates US tv episodes and films - so a mixed bag... but I think that if it’s important you will be able to choose accommodation that specifically meets your needs. 😀

Edited at 04:36 PM.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
Stunning photos...we absolutely loved Iceland and would go back in a heartbeat. Definitely the most expensive place I’ve ever been though.
We actually amazed ourselves at how little we spent. We bought entry to one museum and the nature baths and ate out pretty cheaply (but deliciously) - our main cost was fuel. Everything there was free really - waterfalls,beaches,hikes etc. Breakfast was either included or we had yoghurt and cereal bars in our self catering accommodation. We made our own lunches - we love polar bread and cheese with remoulade, and fruit,and smoked lamb slices - and we found Bonus supermarkets and Netto everywhere to get supplies. The advantage of Iceland is that the car acted like a fridge so we could keep food in the boot without issue 😀
Old 24 Oct 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Hi not a daft question - we were very connected all the time. 3G and 4G was widely available so whilst we were travelling in the car we were listening to podcasts etc and googling.

At least two of the places we stayed didn’t have TVs at all - we had loaded iPads with us so it wasn’t an issue. Everywhere we stayed, from tiny cabins to hotels had good free wifi. A couple of the places had tv with some English channels but it was impacted by the high wind - so not a stable signal. And a couple of the places had amazing tv with full satellite packages showing the lates US tv episodes and films - so a mixed bag... but I think that if it’s important you will be able to choose accommodation that specifically meets your needs. 😀
thank you xxx
Old 24 Oct 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Love the photos. Like others I have always wanted to visit Iceland. Have been put off by how expensive I thought it was. Maybe I need to do a little more research.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List