Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jan 20, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile Noisy radiator!

Anyone have any magic fixes for a noisy radiator, beyond the obvious bleeding it? Stupid thing wakes me up every morning creaking as it warms up! Tempted to get DH to shut it off completely and just have a cold bedroom.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

We had an issue where there was not a plastic spacer between the rads and the wall brackets they sat on. As the radiator heated up it moved and clicked on the bracket. Putting a piece of plastic between them solved it. No idea if that will help you, but that is the only idea I have!
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
jillyb
Imagineer

jillyb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We have exactly the same thing happening with our bedroom radiator , so following this with interest.
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Anyone have any magic fixes for a noisy radiator, beyond the obvious bleeding it? Stupid thing wakes me up every morning creaking as it warms up! Tempted to get DH to shut it off completely and just have a cold bedroom.
Old 28 Jan 20, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
We had an issue where there was not a plastic spacer between the rads and the wall brackets they sat on. As the radiator heated up it moved and clicked on the bracket. Putting a piece of plastic between them solved it. No idea if that will help you, but that is the only idea I have!
Thank you I'll get hubby to check that!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I’m not a plumber but I recollect the old adage that ticking is expansion and contraction, whistling is air in the system.

Ticking is the normal problem in fact we have one that does it. Normally caused by pipes under the boards not being clipped down properly or two of them touching .

The air is an easier issue to fix.

First thing I would do is have the heating on and feel for any cold spots on the rad in question. If nothing then it’s probably not a bleeding resolution albeit it’s worth doing every rad first.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Couple of ours click too which i just thinking is contracting and expanding, they don't need bleeding. It is 'bleeding' annoying though!

2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
2024 - Menorca & Malta
2025 - Norwegian Fjords and Boston/NY
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I’m not a plumber but I recollect the old adage that ticking is expansion and contraction, whistling is air in the system.

Ticking is the normal problem in fact we have one that does it. Normally caused by pipes under the boards not being clipped down properly or two of them touching .

The air is an easier issue to fix.

First thing I would do is have the heating on and feel for any cold spots on the rad in question. If nothing then it’s probably not a bleeding resolution albeit it’s worth doing every rad first.
It definitley needed bleeding- the valve was damaged and stuck so hubby had to put a new one in and I don't think it had been bled for years by the previous owners as loads of air came out! But yeah sadly didn't fix the clicking problem as I'd hoped.

Annoying then if it's pipes under the boards as not much we can do about that!
Old 28 Jan 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
It definitley needed bleeding- the valve was damaged and stuck so hubby had to put a new one in and I don't think it had been bled for years by the previous owners as loads of air came out! But yeah sadly didn't fix the clicking problem as I'd hoped.

Annoying then if it's pipes under the boards as not much we can do about that!
Option 2 is to change the thermostatic valve and the lock shield valve. Not a massive job and can help.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Option 2 is to change the thermostatic valve and the lock shield valve. Not a massive job and can help.
Thanks doesn't mean anything to me but will pass onto the hubby!