Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Apr 14, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
stafford
Trying for More Ears

Wear 2 aids behind the ear type, NHS digital ones mine are oticon & they are good i was prescribed just 1 to start with but audiologist i used was useless so went to local Hospital for 2nd opinion & was told hearing deficient in both albeit only moderate loss hencee now have 2 aids.
Keep on lowest setting & rarely turn up. Nearly got in shower with them a couple of times thats how comfortable they are.
Go to GP get referred to your local audiologist & take it from there if not convinced by audiologist go through local hospital.
Best of luck to you.
stafford is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 14, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Just to say, I wore one hearing aid for over 35 years, I did try a second one from time to time but they were always too much noise (sounds daft, but even with a severe/profound hearing loss like mine, you can have too much noise but still not be able to understand speech). This was unti 2 years ago, when the audiologist again recommended trying a second aid, I was dubious, but gave it a try, and am now wearing two aids full time. The advances in technology has created hearing aids which have a setting you can switch to in noisy situations, it's not perfect, but I can hear a lot better in situations ie in restaurants etc which previously I would have really struggled with, so very pleased I can wear two aids now, I have really benefitted from it. I have profound loss in my right ear and severe in the left, so have the strongest aids available and they really do give me a decent level of volume.
Jakki, when you come to getting the aids programmed, ask them for a setting to use in noisy situations, and you can also ask for a music setting (as the normal day to day setting cuts out loud noises including music). I have 4 setting, normal, noisy places, music and a T setting for loop systems. x

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
MAY 1999, SEPT 2003, XMAS 2005, AUG 2007, APR 2008, APR 2009
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
Port Orleans French Quarter APR 2005, OCT 2006
Polynesian: FEB 2007
Caribbean Beach SEPT 2008
DISNEYLAND PARIS: SEPT 1999, JAN 2002, MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND RESORT CALIFORNIA:
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 14, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I had the test at Specsavers and the results were the same, they're going to call me this week with some recommendations on which aids I need. I also have Tinnitus and Loudness Recruitment which is why the choice of aids isn't straightforward. I'll update when I've got more news.

Edited to add, what happens if you get caught in one of those downpours in Florida, do you have to take your aids out as I'm guessing they can't get wet

Edited at 01:34 PM.
TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 14, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
I had the test at Specsavers and the results were the same, they're going to call me this week with some recommendations on which aids I need. I also have Tinnitus and Loudness Recruitment which is why the choice of aids isn't straightforward. I'll update when I've got more news.

Edited to add, what happens if you get caught in one of those downpours in Florida, do you have to take your aids out as I'm guessing they can't get wet
I also have tinnitus but have no idea what Loudness Recruitment is?

I always carry a brolly with me, Jakki, as a poncho hood is not enough, you also need to take them out when on the wet rides, oh and beware the CMs spraying you suddenly with those water mister sprays!

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
MAY 1999, SEPT 2003, XMAS 2005, AUG 2007, APR 2008, APR 2009
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
Port Orleans French Quarter APR 2005, OCT 2006
Polynesian: FEB 2007
Caribbean Beach SEPT 2008
DISNEYLAND PARIS: SEPT 1999, JAN 2002, MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND RESORT CALIFORNIA:
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 14, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
katie
Imagineer

When you go ahead with the aids, make sure you ring up your insurance company and get them included on your house contents insurance. They will want to know the make of them and how much they cost. I have never paid any extra for my insurance - they just put them on as a single valuable item. They know that you will look after your aids as once yoou start wearing them, you'll hate to be without them. I tend to keep my hair over my ears and this provides adequate protection for me - showers/baths excluded of course

If anyone comes towards me with a spray fan, I just put my hand up and say no - it's never been a problem.

Katie
Old 5 May 14, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
twinhope
Excited about Disney

I've been wearing two hearing aids for years now and I have never had a problem with the aids getting wet when riding on a water ride. My hair covers my ears so I do have a bit of protection there. I am more worried about them falling out if we make a sudden turn. (Like on Test drive) Twice now, I have forgotten I have had my hearing aids on and have showered with them but they did not get damaged (I wouldn't recommend you do this but just wanted you to know that in case you get a little water on them they can still be okay.
twinhope is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
I also have tinnitus but have no idea what Loudness Recruitment is? ...
What is loudness recruitment and how can digital hearing aids help manage the problem? If you have hearing loss, it’s not uncommon to develop what is known as ‘loudness recruitment’. Loudness recruitment is an abnormal perception of loudness. Even if you are unable or struggle to hear ordinary levels of sound, you may at the same time perceive loud sounds as uncomfortably loud. This is also described as having a ‘reduced dynamic range of hearing’: dynamic range is the ability of the ear to deal with quick shifts in loudness.
It may affect people with sensorineural hearing loss, which is caused by damage to the cochlea or hearing nerve

I've always suffered from this but had no idea that is was a "condition" until I started googling info on hearing aids. Basically certain loud noises are really uncomfortable for me. Examples would be that I'd have to turn the radio down at work or ask them to turn the music down in the gym.

I always carry a brolly with me, Jakki, as a poncho hood is not enough, you also need to take them out when on the wet rides, oh and beware the CMs spraying you suddenly with those water mister sprays!
Originally Posted by katie View Post
... I tend to keep my hair over my ears and this provides adequate protection for me - showers/baths excluded of course
I'm not sure I fancy lugging a brolly around in Florida and don't know how usefull it would be in a windy downpour. I keep my hair over my ears so that might help and I have a sort of water proof hat that I could keep in my bag and use in Florida.

...When you go ahead with the aids, make sure you ring up your insurance company and get them included on your house contents insurance. They will want to know the make of them and how much they cost. I have never paid any extra for my insurance - they just put them on as a single valuable item. They know that you will look after your aids as once yoou start wearing them, you'll hate to be without them...
I'll be sure to ring the insurers

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread