Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 23 Jul 18, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Wow that's a grand total of over $600 with tips on 2 meals. Scary!

We have CG brunch booked for 23rd December, shame about you main meals. I've heard you can order more than 1, so perhaps you should have ordered the pancakes after being disappointed in your original choice. Hope we have a better experience.
Disney Planning is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow that all sounds amazing! I bet your glad you cancelled beirgarten now. I must say ive never heard of this restaurant before is it relatively new.

Shame about the atmosphere but I'm sure the food more than made up for it xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I've debated for a while about quality/value for $ ( we pay OOP with TIW) CG brunch and never really fancied it, I do love dinner there though. You've just confirmed my feelings that we should stay away

Monsieur Paul looks very good and we almost went last trip but as we were booking the ADR we realised they don't accept TIW and backed out. Won't try it on principle until they change their mind.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Loving your food report, it’s had me chuckling on several occasions. Did I spot a strong contender from your DDs California grill selection for brighter than the president competition, certainly looked very orange and the noodles had an uncanny resemblance to a barnet!
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Glad you liked it! 👍
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Love the Monsieur Paul review I’m going to have one of those fish dishes probably the same as your dw had ...

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Nice to see The Boathouse was a hit for you, we really enjoyed it too and it’s unfortunate I haven’t been able to fit it in this year. I was glad to see the Turtle dessert, we wanted this last year but it was sold out!

I was disappointed to see the Narcoossee’s brunch cancelled, I think I’d have really enjoyed eating there in the daytime. I am very much looking forward to our CG brunch this year so I’m disappointed to hear how lacklustre the food was, the description of your DW’s dish actually made my stomach turn. I know you were happy with the service but as Disney Planning mentioned, you are supposed to be allowed multiple entrees at brunch, so if the server noticed you didn’t eat too much of your meals he really should have offered something else.

I am not sure if I want to read on as we have Le Cellier booked this year, our first time since 2013 and I am really looking forward to it, but Monsieur Paul is calling my name… I’ve wanted to try the sea bass dish for ages as I’m hoping it’s reminiscent of my dearly departed potato wrapped red snapper from Flying Fish. I’m drooling over your reviews, thanks for taking one for the team and going for us!

I do hope you can find room for Biergarten later in the trip, I’m a big fan.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 02:47 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
I regularly hear quite mixed reviews of Cali Grill, I think the temptation of the amazing views is what also reels people in. It's very disappointing that the mains weren't up to scratch especially considering the prices. Hopefully the rest of the day's meals were more palatable xx
The views are great the brunch was a bit meh. Things definitely looked up after this

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
We were just discussing the Cali Grill brunch and wondering if we should add it to our list. I don’t eat eggs which puts me off as the main course choices are more limited but maybe that’s a good thing after reading your report of the eggs.
hmm the egg dishes were not the greatest but probably an issue on the day, the steak dish and the pancakes looked alright from one table over and I nearly ordered some African or Middle Eastern lamb meatball dish called Shakshuka that was probably great (I remembered after that the head chef had come over from Jiko so it might be one to try)

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
Oh it's a shame your brunch at CG wasn't amazing - it was our favourite meal last year! We had regular mimosas though and my lobster eggs benedict didn't suffer with the same faults as your DW's, thankfully. It really shouldn't be possible to order badly at such a high price meal!
I can well imagine it being absolutely fine, we could have re-ordered of course but with Deluxe a meal you don't have to eat becomes a bit of a break

Originally Posted by MissFortune View Post
LOVING this report. Your reviews are fantastic!

That lobster looks god awful.

With the Cali Grill brunch - Do you still get given a plate of pastries to start or are those now on the buffet to help yourself?

One of these;

Can't wait to hear about Monsieur Paul. I've always fancied it but OH thinks it's too stuffy.
The pastries I believe it's self service now, we went to get them and I didn't see anyone bringing them round but not to say none of the servers do. Monsieur Paul the food was amazing and it's not at all stuffy but it isn't a fun bustling atmosphere like you'll find downstairs which is where your DH may have a worry (just have a couple of drinks first!)

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
It's not stuffy. It's in a theme park!
That meme was seriously creepy Yeah some people might find the quiet of Monsieur Paul a bit awkward I guess but you're right that there is nothing the staff do to make it formal they were just glad to see the customers they had I think Not many tips to work for helps make the service superb

Originally Posted by DollyDimples View Post
Just caught up with your report. Looking forward to reading the rest. :-)
Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 02:53 AM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 03:16 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
A couple of super expensive meals there, which I'm guessing were worth it with the DXDDP. Out of interest, would you pay OOP for either of these if you didn't have dining plan?
Not at those prices no we'd maybe pay it as a one-off for a special occasion but otherwise would want to pay half for that level of quality and wouldn't do it every night never mind twice in one day ordinarily.

Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
Wow that's a grand total of over $600 with tips on 2 meals. Scary!

We have CG brunch booked for 23rd December, shame about you main meals. I've heard you can order more than 1, so perhaps you should have ordered the pancakes after being disappointed in your original choice. Hope we have a better experience.
Yes it's scary expensive and I'm not looking forward to the tips bill We could have ordered again at CG we knew that but DW was feeling sick and I didn't feel like making everyone wait bearing in mind there was still dessert to come and I could have gone back to the buffet if needed (also I did eat half of my average omelette).

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Wow that all sounds amazing! I bet your glad you cancelled beirgarten now. I must say ive never heard of this restaurant before is it relatively new.

Shame about the atmosphere but I'm sure the food more than made up for it xx
Monsieur Paul has been around for ages but has never been that high profile because it's tucked away and the menu looks fairly inaccessible. The food did make up for the atmosphere definitely but both would have been the best

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
I've debated for a while about quality/value for $ ( we pay OOP with TIW) CG brunch and never really fancied it, I do love dinner there though. You've just confirmed my feelings that we should stay away

Monsieur Paul looks very good and we almost went last trip but as we were booking the ADR we realised they don't accept TIW and backed out. Won't try it on principle until they change their mind.
Hadn't realised they weren't on Tables in Wonderland that's nuts with an empty restaurant. Too much competition at EPCOT and you wonder if this will survive when they open a signature in Japan (that is bound to be good). And yes I think you should stick with the CG dinner which seems to be the go to meal there at the moment

Originally Posted by Connies Mummy View Post
Loving your food report, it’s had me chuckling on several occasions. Did I spot a strong contender from your DDs California grill selection for brighter than the president competition, certainly looked very orange and the noodles had an uncanny resemblance to a barnet!
OMG you are right She's asleep now but I'll have to ask her if that was intended, I actually interrupted her rearranging the plate to take the photo!
Donald? Are you in there?

Thanks for reading and great comment

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
Glad you liked it! 👍
Very good tip from you and Collybird (and any others if I missed mentioning you here )

Originally Posted by Pez01 View Post
Love the Monsieur Paul review I’m going to have one of those fish dishes probably the same as your dw had ...
Let us know how it went Who was your server?

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Nice to see The Boathouse was a hit for you, we really enjoyed it too and it’s unfortunate I haven’t been able to fit it in this year. I was glad to see the Turtle dessert, we wanted this last year but it was sold out!

I was disappointed to see the Narcoossee’s brunch cancelled, I think I’d have really enjoyed eating there in the daytime. I am very much looking forward to our CG brunch this year so I’m disappointed to hear how lacklustre the food was, the description of your DW’s dish actually made my stomach turn. I know you were happy with the service but as Disney Planning mentioned, you are supposed to be allowed multiple entrees at brunch, so if the server noticed you didn’t eat too much of your meals he really should have offered something else.

I am not sure if I want to read on as we have Le Cellier booked this year, our first time since 2013 and I am really looking forward to it, but Monsieur Paul is calling my name… I’ve wanted to try the sea bass dish for ages as I’m hoping it’s reminiscent of my dearly departed potato wrapped red snapper from Flying Fish. I’m drooling over your reviews, thanks for taking one for the team and going for us!

I do hope you can find room for Biergarten later in the trip, I’m a big fan.
The Turtle was great although such a giant piece of ice cream it was hard to make a dent! Sorry that my review was too graphic, I'll try to tone it down because I don't want to make anyone queasy. The server realised we hadn't enjoyed the mains but I think read the table and decided not to push it which was fine for us.

Hopefully le Cellier will be great and the sea bass was a wonderful dish, the sauce especially is lovely. Biergarten I fear I may miss out on yet again, need to check the credits situation and make sure we don't fall behind! Deluxe is a marathon not a sprint we're learning today we OOP'd a couple of things that I've realised we should have used credits for
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 03:18 AM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 03:43 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Snack sized update before posting lunch. I started the day with an epic leftover steak slider (featuring Boathouse bread roll), these take-outs may not help in saving appetite for spending credits but oh wow what a way to start the day

The morning had originally been a Kona Cafe ADR then Blizzard Beach but we were all too tired and well aware that a long afternoon awaited at Animal Kingdom. Instead we went down to the pool, stopping on the way to fill up drinks and accidentally spending a snack on a Mickey Smore Brownie that ordered us to buy it.

This was good, not as good as it looked (s’mores never are for some reason) but still good! DW had meantime spent a snack on a full sized baguette reasons unknown

After that we were at the pool long enough to do a few laps of the Stormalong Bay lazy river and also for DW to lose her second resort mug in 24 hours. We are planning to attach the new one to her somehow. DD did what nearly teenagers do these days with the opportunity to relax by a pool
Millennial Sunbathing

That’s about it before we attacked World Showcase with a lunch blitz for the t-shirt challenge

Edited at 03:44 AM.