Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Feb 20, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Time To Shut Twitter Down

This is the debate on the Jeremy Vine show at the moment .
I don't use Twitter but hearing some of the stories of how one tweet can ruin your life is mind blowing.
Do you use Twitter? What are your thoughts on it?
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Mobile

Don’t use it and being honest don’t understand it. It’s my age. If technology will benefit me then I am definitely someone who adopts it. Social media of many types I don’t embrace. I don’t need to know what my next door neighbour had for their dinner. I know that already with the camera I have pointed at their house.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Never used it. Can't see it being removed tho.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

Welcome to social media 👍
Old 26 Feb 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

I use twitter - more now to browse than tweet but I dont agree at all with shutting it down, only it being regulated more. Twitter can be a force for good as well, unfortunately lately we have only seen the bad side of it.

In terms of good things it allows us instant access to news, often more than is evert reported in mainstream media, it brings to attention things that I would never have known about, or people I have never heard of before in terms of the arts, music etc.

For me personally, without twitter id never have met my current partner. We started a conversation through mutual friends on there about a shared interest which then blossomed and we met up in real life (safely of course) and have been together 7 years now. Im not a confident person at all, and do not make friends easily in 'real life' so being able to access people who shared my interests was invaluable and actually helped me get over one of the darkest times of my life - so ill always be grateful to it.

Twitter can also help charities and small businesses to get themselves 'out there' more than websites at times.

BUT it can be a nightmare as well: ive had instances when people have come for me because of my friendship with a person who was on a well known reality tv show, and my friend also had a lot of abuse due to negativity in the papers on there - I can understand the argument for it not being a good thing, and there definitely needs to be more regulation and more ability to shut people down - although one of the people who I would shut down or at least regulate more on there is one of the/if not the most powerful man in the world!

(ps I dont work for twitter haha)
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

I've never used it. I'm not on Instagram or Facebook either. I only use WhatsApp for work, family and a few close friends.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by JudgeJ26 View Post
I've never used it. I'm not on Instagram or Facebook either. I only use WhatsApp for work, family and a few close friends.
I am the same. But it seems a lot of people now use Facebook to book villas and you have to have a personal profile to set up a villa profile, so we may have to join the darkside lol
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I'm not on it but don't think it should be banned, certain people, like the Trump shouldn't be allowed to tweet though 🤔😳
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Never used it. Can't see it being removed tho.
That's exactly what was said, if it was shut down something else would take its place.
I have never used it either so don't really understand it but from what I have just watched it sounds explosive. One example was a lady who tweeted a comment on a flight to South Africa, I won't go into details on here but by the time she had landed she found she was no longer employable and her career was over, there were a lot of things about people being punished for tweets from years ago too.
I'm not sure but wasn't it a tweet that got Danny Baker into hot water?
I can understand celebrities feeling the wrath of a controversial tweet but from what I gather this lady on the flight was not famous.
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JudgeJ26 View Post
A bit like me

Never tweeted in my life - I don't even understand what trending and re-tweeting mean. Don't want to know to be honest

No idea what instagram does and again I'm happy for my ignorance to continue. My 20 year old granddaughter suggested I join Snapchat and I asked her what was the benefit of sending a photo that deleted itself after 10 seconds.

The only time I go on Faceache is if a company doesn't have a web site that I can't get to.

Yes I WhatsApp because we leave our mobiles on flight mode in Florida and use it to communicate.

I'm sure that at 74 I'll be told that I'm a dinosaur but happy to remain that way.

Mick