Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Aug 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Living Room Decor

We’ve had an offer accepted on a new house and just waiting for the mortgage to hopefully go through. Our new house is a bit dated in parts, and we’re planning to tackle the living room first. It’s intended our current 3 piece suite (a good few years old now) will go in the second living space in due course, so we will be looking for new furniture once we’ve redecorated. This is the living room currently:-

Our dining table won’t be in there, as there is a dining room, and we will be putting in a set of folding doors. We’re planning to strip the wallpaper and paint (and plaster if needed). We’re also taking the mantelpiece and fake fire out, and plan to replace with a hole in the wall wood burner, and tile the chimney breast. Something like this:-

For the floor, we want to put down underfloor heating and tiles. We have this in our current house and it’s great with dogs.

I’m really stuck about colours though. I was going to stick with cream and wood-effect floor, and get brown furniture, but then I saw a couch in this colour in Next:-

It’s a plush velvet type fabric, very striking. But I have 2 issues -
1) I feel it’s too much for all the furniture to be that colour, so what do you pair it with?! Quite fancy an L-shaped couch but flexible on types/size of furniture. Some people seem to make mismatched furniture look amazing together, but I don’t feel like I have the eye for that.
2) What colour would I make everything else? Paint, floor tiles and the tiles around the fire?

I know we haven’t moved in yet and it could all go pear shaped, but I like planning
Old 8 Aug 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

What a lovely big room You want MaryPoppins to see this thread! Personally I think the space can take the colour and then have cushions in a neutral colour especially as you are making a better feature of the fireplace and sorting out the wallpaper!

I can just picture the slate effect fireplace/woodburner with greys, chalky whites and maybe some blue pattern cushions along with some dark wood venetian blinds on the windows but that is my type of scheme. I love this lampshade and am planning on 2 french navy walls with the shade on a a table lamp, dark wood floor and a light chalky grey sofa with mix and match blue patterned scatter cushions in my conservatory.

Lovely views it looks like you have too, hope you get it and enjoy bringing it up to your taste xx
Old 8 Aug 20, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
What a lovely big room You want MaryPoppins to see this thread! Personally I think the space can take the colour and then have cushions in a neutral colour especially as you are making a better feature of the fireplace and sorting out the wallpaper!

I can just picture the slate effect fireplace/woodburner with greys, chalky whites and maybe some blue pattern cushions along with some dark wood venetian blinds on the windows but that is my type of scheme. I love this lampshade and am planning on 2 french navy walls with the shade on a a table lamp, dark wood floor and a light chalky grey sofa with mix and match blue patterned scatter cushions in my conservatory.

Lovely views it looks like you have too, hope you get it and enjoy bringing it up to your taste xx

Thank you. I love your lampshade! So you’ve basically taken that and built your decor around that? So I could do the same with, say, a rug? Like this?

I’ve always played it safe with decor - neutral everything, maybe a blind or curtains with a bit of colour. So I’m rubbish at this.

P.S. yes, we’ll (hopefully) be very lucky to have amazing views:-

The estate agent cheated a bit, as you can actually see the roof of the house in front in real life, but it’s built lower down, so not intrusive
Old 8 Aug 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

I have house and view envy... even before your improvements!
Old 8 Aug 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Yes, you could do the walls in one of the tones if the rug, have your blue sofas then add Lampshades, throws, curtains and cushions in another tone/s. That is what I would do but I’m sure other people will perhaps have more professional ideas.

You are right in that I get one thing and make a room round it! Dh gave me a purple kitchen aid and that inspired my purple wall and other accessories in our last (and next) kitchen! With the lampshade, I had planned to do a wall in the matching wallpaper but it has been discontinued so just going to do it the dark blue.

Our photos were a bit economical too, but still love our view as well

Good luck x
Old 8 Aug 20, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

We have two similar sofas and have paired with mustard accents but it always has to complement my Mary Poppins tapestry
Old 9 Aug 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What colour are your dogs? Just thinking if they are light it might be a bit of a problem with the navy sofa?
Old 9 Aug 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Also - google “ navy room decor colour palette” and look at the images - you will get loads of colour palette swatches up that can help.
For example:

Old 9 Aug 20, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
What colour are your dogs? Just thinking if they are light it might be a bit of a problem with the navy sofa?
That’s a thought, though we tend to have throws on the sofa if they’re around. They won’t be allowed in this room unsupervised so hopefully they’ll be okay. I do wonder if more than one colour of sofa is the way forward.

Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
Also - google “ navy room decor colour palette” and look at the images - you will get loads of colour palette swatches up that can help.
For example:

Thanks for this! This is why I posted, I did not know colour palettes were a thing, I’m so clueless.
Old 9 Aug 20, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

It can be nice to have different sofas, I have a neutral one and the other is purple. I have purple/gold curtains too.
I'm ignoring the walls as I haven't decorated the room yet but they will be neutral as I have plenty of colour with the multiple lampshades too