Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Aug 20, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

There are some very fit and spritely older people though who can manage to love independently for years.

You just need to look at your own health , though it can be sudden onset, and do what is best for you.
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
There are some very fit and spritely older people though who can manage to love independently for years.

You just need to look at your own health , though it can be sudden onset, and do what is best for you.
Absolutely, but I’m just suggesting that your choice of home can help you retain that independence for longer.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I'm in my early 60's and fit and healthy but looking now to move to a bungalow before the house gets difficult for me and I'm forced to move. No way would I be encouraging anybody to move to a house with stairs if they intend it to be their final move.
Bungalows of course tend to be more expensive than houses so possibly they can't afford one.
Park homes are great as long as you don't intend to leave a legacy for anybody after you die. I would move to one but there are only holiday sites near where I live

Edited at 08:24 AM.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I can see the attraction for when you get old, especially if it frees up capital to spend on other things such as holidays. Seems from OP initial post they really want a park home and been “dreaming” of owning one for Years so once assumes they have read up and accepted all the pros and cons - go for it would be my advice.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

My father in law wanted to make sure my MIL was moved and settled near us before he died (he knew his health was failing and she’d outlive him). He bought a lovely bungalow closer to us , but she hated it as it wasn’t walking distance of anything and she felt really isolated. After he died we moved her to a ground floor flat , with the high street and doctors an easy stroll for her and lovely neighbours .
It made me realise that what we think is suitable may not be practical and that location is far more important than we may think accustomed to jumping in cars everywhere which in later life they may not be able to do.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

It is a sad fact that bungalows are disappearing before our very eyes, quite literally overnight round here! They are turning into either million pound houses or 2 or 3 smaller houses. This leaves older people wanting to downsize the option of McCarthy and Stone flats or park homes.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
It is a sad fact that bungalows are disappearing before our very eyes, quite literally overnight round here! They are turning into either million pound houses or 2 or 3 smaller houses. This leaves older people wanting to downsize the option of McCarthy and Stone flats or park homes.
I have noticed in the last few years that houses sold where I live are turned into flats, a three bedroomed house suddenly becomes 4/5/6 flats, most suddenly have extensions built, a dental surgery closed and became god knows how many flats, I'm just glad we have a garage as street parking has become a nightmare.
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
So true. This is less than half a mile from me and this is what the Estate Agents says:-

£499.000. Positioned on a level and good sized plot. Excellent opportunity as a project for a resident or demolition subject to planning permission.

It's an absolute shed!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
I have noticed in the last few years that houses sold where I live are turned into flats, a three bedroomed house suddenly becomes 4/5/6 flats, most suddenly have extensions built, a dental surgery closed and became god knows how many flats, I'm just glad we have a garage as street parking has become a nightmare.
Next door but one has started renting out rooms, I can't think where he's putting them all!
That said my son's first house has been turned into student accommodation and we saw an online plan of it, we just couldn't believe how they'd moved walls so a normal 3 bed house now has 5 bedrooms upstairs and one downstairs. Still just one bathroom, one smallish kitchen diner, and a second outside toilet.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
Where we used to live in Hertfordshire, 2 bungalows became 5 houses with 5 bedrooms each.