Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Aug 20, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
a 2nd dog?

Hi all
We have a gorgeous cockapoo (male) who will be 2 in a couple of months. The puppy days were very difficult (I haven't forgotten) but he is so so worth it and is so loyal and wonderful to have around. We now have the opportunity to get a second cockapoo from the same breeder and they would have the same Dad. Would really appreciate any thoughts. Our dog has some separation anxiety so we wonder if a 2nd dog would help with this? The second dog would need to be another male - could this create problems? So many questions and would really appreciate some opinions as this does feel like a huge decision! Don't want to upset our gorgeous dog but have been told he will love having a playmate
Thanks so much for any opinions/stories of experiences...
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post

We got our first dog five years ago and then got another of the same breed when the first one was just over 2 years old. Both dogs are male.

Our older dog was always good with other dogs generally, he is very friendly, but the first day we brought the puppy home he just sat and stared at him from a distance. The second day he started to push the puppy about, sort of body slam him, I was quite concerned at first, but I did a bit of reading and saw that he never actually hurt the puppy whereas he could have very easily if he had wanted to. So I assumed he was playing and maybe trying to assert himself as being in charge.

Neither of my dogs has separation anxiety so no idea if having company helps with that, but I do think it is nice that they have company. If we go out, when we get back they are always sat and usually sleeping together. When we are in, I would say that they both prefer the company of us to each other, but they do get along perfectly well.

No issues with them both being male, the older one has been neutered by the time we got the younger one, but even if he hadn’t been he was a really small puppy and the other one would not have seen him as a threat anyway.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

We've got four dogs, 2 Weimaraners aged 13 and 1, along with 2 mini dachshunds aged 4 and 1. The 13 year old is a girl and the rest are boys with the mini dachshunds being real brothers. They all get on really well, the only problem being the youngest Weimaraner not realising how big he is as he seems to think he is the size of a sausage dog.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen1512
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We have two. Both rescue dogs so a slightly different scenario. We had our big dog first. He’s a lazy placid gentle American bulldog/boxer/staffie mixture. He was a neglect case and had not been used to being alone in a house. He used to chew everything. We then had our rescue working cocker a year later. She was very highly strung, anxious and neurotic. She has learned such a lot from being with our other dog. They really are the best of pals and get along great. They have learned to play together as being rescue dogs didn’t really know how. They share food, share toys, share beds. They are great company for each other when we’re out. Can’t imagine just having one now.
Old 10 Aug 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Re the separation anxiety - it can go one of two ways unfortunately. It can be soothing for the one with SA to have a dog around and make him better, OR the new one could feed off the anxiety of the existing dog and you'll end up with two dogs with SA.

I would honestly try and resolve / improve the SA issues before introducing another dog into the household

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We have 2 labs, Toby is 7 months older than Fred. Toby was a chilled out dog but he loved other dogs and really loved their company so we partially got Fred as a companion. They do get on really well but it’s the second one who is a bit anxious and highly strung. I think he would be worse as an only dog but even having the example of a chilled out big brother hasn’t calmed him down.
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

When my first british bulldog was 2 years old I got another. They were inseparable! They would even try to walk through a door frame together and get jammed lol
There was never any alpha issues, I would say the youngest was the more confident dog as the eldest treated him like a puppy all his life 💕
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Thank you so much for all your replies. I really do appreciate it... We definitely do need to work on the separation anxiety... He is very sociable and I think he would really benefit from a playmate but I'll admit I am scared of all the logistics - toilet training, walking, bathing, holidays etc etc!
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

I have always had 2 dogs together. We had my beautiful Dobermanns, mother and daughter, and obviously they were bonded. We now have 2 adorable Chihuahuas' (I know - what a difference!). They absolutely keep each other company, and Asia mothered Rhana and they compliment each other perfectly.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

We have four male dogs!

The plan was to have two but...

We have a Puggle 7, Jug 6, Chihuahua 4 and another Chihuahua 6 months!

I have read that the new dog should ideally be smaller than your first dog to avoid issues especially if both are males but don't know how true this is? Our Chi who is 4 is the same size if not a little bigger than our Jug and this worked out fine...

They all get on famously. It's lovely to see the two Chi's chasing each other around the garden and play fighting all day as the older two are not really up for playing in that way anymore.

I think all four of them really thrive on each others company whilst also loving us humans of course!

Love them all and their different personalities

Ali x

Edited at 02:53 PM.
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List