Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Aug 20, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I couldn’t go on holiday without without the kids. For me however much I would love the break it just wouldn’t be the same. Plus for me there will be many holidays when they are adults.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I would and have gone away without our children.

But I think right now, with all the uncertainty, it would not feel right to do that, for me. But it’s a personal decision.
Old 10 Aug 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
We had planned to go to Orlando in December this year, however due to everything that’s going on we decided to cancel.
I have been holding out hope that we may be able to get a last minute getaway somewhere in December, however I’m losing hope that restrictions will be lifted at any of the destinations we’ve been looking at (because of time of year would be looking at Canary Islands or Caribbean)

I have a week off at the beginning of September and DH would be able to transfer one of his December weeks and I have been thinking of just the two of us getting away then instead (prob Greece or Turkey)

My dilemma is that DS (12) wouldn’t be able to come because of going back to school so I feel a bit guilty about thinking of going without him. We have had weekends away in Blackpool and Alton Towers and are planning a weekend in Chester and returning to Blackpool in October with my other DS and his girlfriend too so it’s not like DS hasn’t been anywhere this year but I feel torn!

I probably should add that DH and I haven’t been away together for almost two years either.
I’d say he might need a bit of support for going back - they all will x
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I too go away without my kids. I personally think as a couple we need time as partners and not parents. This year is different though. I couldn't have a holiday without them.

Could you maybe just get overnight somewhere if you really need the break? I'm sure DS would love some grandparent time. An overnight stay doesn't feel like s holiday but gives you time away, at a push two nights but more of a city break than a family holiday destination.
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Im always in the minority for this one but I cannot see any reason why parents HAVE to ALWAYS go on holiday with their kids! (Even Orlando!)

Maybe this year is a little different but i am not a believer in the apron strings being tied until they are 18!

How are they ever supposed to learn anything that way?
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I think my point of view is coloured by the fact that my parents stopped taking me on holiday with them when I was 15, I didn’t have the choice and was left home alone with Aunty across the road keeping an eye on me. I basically lived, cooked and cleaned for myself at for the week. I would have liked the option to go with them but wasn’t offered. I think that’s why I say don’t leave him...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
I think my point of view is coloured by the fact that my parents stopped taking me on holiday with them when I was 15, I didn’t have the choice and was left home alone with Aunty across the road keeping an eye on me. I basically lived, cooked and cleaned for myself at for the week. I would have liked the option to go with them but wasn’t offered. I think that’s why I say don’t leave him...
My apologies if this is out of turn but that’s truly heartbreaking, at 15 you are still a child, fair enough if you were given a choice but to not even be offered that and to be left on your own seems very harsh.

I would never leave him on his own. It’s very rare we go anywhere without the kids as we are very family orientated.
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
I too go away without my kids. I personally think as a couple we need time as partners and not parents. This year is different though. I couldn't have a holiday without them.

Could you maybe just get overnight somewhere if you really need the break? I'm sure DS would love some grandparent time. An overnight stay doesn't feel like s holiday but gives you time away, at a push two nights but more of a city break than a family holiday destination.
I’ve been looking at weekend city breaks as an alternative
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I couldn't do it but my 11 yr old would never let us anyhow! If she thought she was missing out on a holiday she would be hiding in the case!
Sounds like you need a break thou hope you get one!
Old 11 Aug 20, 03:12 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
My apologies if this is out of turn but that’s truly heartbreaking, at 15 you are still a child, fair enough if you were given a choice but to not even be offered that and to be left on your own seems very harsh.

I would never leave him on his own. It’s very rare we go anywhere without the kids as we are very family orientated.
It was 50 years ago, a different era...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List