Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 8 Mar 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mr-paul
slightly serious Dibber

A very damp, but fun weekend! Feb/March 2020 highs and lows

Not doing a full trip report, but thought I'd write a quick round-up of my trip last weekend. We went Friday 28th February to Monday 2nd March, 3 adults (28/29 YO) staying in Sequoia Lodge. It was, I believe, my 12th trip over the last 25 years, my last trip before this was in 2017 when the big refurb works were happening.

There are a few things in the 'lows/needs improvement' column but that doesn't mean I didn't have a fantastic time regardless!

Highs

Eurostar - Living in London, this is so easy. On the way we had to transfer in Lille, and had 90 minutes for a wander into the town to pick up some breakfast. On the way back on Monday evening, we travelled direct from Marne-la-Vallée back to St Pancras, the train was so empty!

Sequoia Lodge - Hadn't stayed here for 18 years, so was good to go back into a hotel that's a tiny bit closer than Cheyenne/Santa Fe! Enjoyed having the swimming pool for a morning swim, and the bar is lovely with the log fire. Our room was in a great location, on the fourth floor of the main building. The free hot drink per day is a nice little touch. And the hotel MagicPass that opens your door and holds your tickets/reservations is a nice development since my last stay.

Extra Magic Time - Only made it out to this on our Sunday morning, but it is so crucial if you're staying on-site, especially over a weekend! Can rush through all the headline rides in the main park in those 90 minutes and then go at an easier pace for the rest of the day. It has improved since I last went too - I don't believe Big Thunder Mountain used to be open in the extra time.

Ride updates - Love Star Wars, so of course love the Hyperspace Mountain overlay. Having the different storylines/drop sequences on Tower of Terror gives it a fresh twist.

Billy Bob's - Love my tex-mex food, so had to go to my favourite buffet on site!

Buffalo Bill's - Haven't done this for 25 years. Got a great deal on the tickets as I work for Disney in the UK. Had a fantastic time - good food (but a lot of meat - don't expect any veg unless you're vegetarian!) and an entertaining show.

Visiting the Disneyland Hotel - Had never been in the fanciest hotel before, but we decided to pop in to have a look and a drink. How beautiful! Café Fantasia was lovely, and I would definitely like to try one of the restaurants on another trip.

Fireworks - Illuminations on the castle, magical as ever. Except for the people who need to film it all on their phone! Star Wars show in the Studios - brilliant.

Lows/needs improvement

Weather - Yes, this one isn't Disney's fault, but the weather last weekend was horrible. Showery on Friday afternoon - fine. Saturday we went into central Paris, where it was OK other than a few heavy showers, but it was too rainy and windy when we returned that evening to pop into the parks for the fireworks. Sunday morning was ok, got plenty done, then the heavens opened around 1:30pm - icy buckets!

We retreated into a bar and back to the hotel for the afternoon, and then I was the only one stupid enough to dash back out for the parade, which was firstly delayed as it was so bad, and then the characters had to have umbrellas. Luckily, it cleared up for the fireworks that night.

Monday morning was also pretty much a write-off due to heavy rain, but it luckily cleared up for a couple of hours in the afternoon before our departure.

Studios - I know a lot of people have always been down on the Studios Park, but I've always found enough to keep me entertained there. Right now, it's a different matter. Sure it's going to be great when all the additions are done, but right now, it's in a very sad state and feels tiny with everything to the left of the main plaza boarded off for the Avengers upgrades, and the Studio Tour closed for the expansions that way. I didn't make it onto Crush's Coaster due to not getting into the Studios at all for EMT. I was saddened by how little time we spent in here, partly due to the weather and partly due to the reduced amount of things to do.

Sequoia Lodge - Although it was a pleasant stay, there was a couple of things I'd like to see improve. Firstly, there was not enough plug sockets, especially for three adults. Just one by the door, one under the TV, and one for the lamp in the corner. I'm sure Cheyenne had more, and bedside, when I last went? Bring an extension lead!

Secondly, in the evening the lobby has a strong smell of cheese - I'm guessing something they have in the buffet there?

Pizzeria Bella Notte - Went here at lunchtime on the Friday. This place was chaos. Food was fine when we got it after queuing for 30 minutes, but would advise going to other quick services over this one! We were limited due to one of our party being vegetarian. Would always recommend an early lunch before the queues build up, and if you want pizza, go to Colonel Hathi's instead, much more pleasant!

Star Tours - Feels weird to be putting this here! I'm a massive Star Wars fan and love this ride, and went on the updated version last year in California. You get a randomised sequence of different scenes/planets. Unfortunately, at the moment in Paris they're running just one ride profile, a Rise of Skywalker one, and it's probably the least fun I've had on this ride - very jerky, and left my friend who suffers from motion sickness a bit not feeling very well at all. I remember it being much smoother before.

Prices - it's expensive! To be expected, I know, but after having a full board meal plan last time round it felt a little bit of a shock! A little tip - double-check the wine prices per glass/bottle. We went in King Ludwig's Castle and bought a bottle, but realised after it would have been cheaper if we'd bought it by the glass!

One last observation/question

Might just be me, but ride/show narration, which has always been a bit bilingual French/English, felt a little bit more French on the scale this time? Mainly taking this from Star Tours, which I don't think had any English audio in it this time.

I believe they can change audio profiles depending on the audience? Maybe it was because I went outside English holidays, so the visitors were more 'local' than at other times. Wasn't a big issue, as I understand French, but something to be aware of.
mr-paul is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List