Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Feb 21, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Virgin Airmiles with Singapore Airlines ... ?

Can you use Virgin Airmiles to get seats on Singapore Airlines flights?

The web is not giving me a clear answer...
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Yes although they have reduced the cabins available and increased the mileage in the last year.

Flying Club website still shows an economy round trip Singapore-Europe as 70,000 miles.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

I had a look the other day as I have just booked with Singapore Air, this is on Virgins website.

Alert!Important information regarding redemption bookings
Due to specific Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore’s (CAAS) requirements, booking redemptions on Singapore Airlines are temporarily unavailable. Existing tickets will be handled in accordance with current border restrictions and CAAS transit approvals. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Old 8 Feb 21, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the replies, looks like it is on hold with Singapore which is a pity, but not planning to go until next May so things could change.

This is my story, after some advice on best thing to do - and is a definition of First world problem

We are due to go to Tokyo in May – do not think it will happen but letting things run their course for now.
Planning to go in May next year now, but make a bigger trip as is a big birthday for my partner.

Flying from Glasgow to Frankfurt, then to Haneda in Tokyo.

PARTNER – they paid for the Lufthansa flight from Glasgow to Frankfurt (and return), I used Virgin Airmiles to get them a return in First to Tokyo Haneda on ANA.

MYSELF – I paid for the same flights, but my Frankfurt to Haneda return is in Business.

First for myself was not possible at time of booking, plus it would be waste on me as I do not drink and do not try new food – so the nice things to eat and drink in First would be wasted, and hardly slumming it in Business as get a flat bed/ seat
We also did this same thing in May 2019 and I loved my time in Business, but that time was from Heathrow.
This German route saves us a bomb in fees etc. and got my Business seat for a steal.

So that how we paid.
I have had a useful chat with Virgin via WhatsApp and if we want we can convert the points part of my partners trip to an Open Ticket and look to rebook when reward seats come out at about the 11 month mark.

But think will let events play out and see if both mine / partners get cancelled nearer the time and see what options are then.

For the purposes of this, lets assume I get all my money back, and the 110,000 airmiles refunded.

Next year we want to go to Tokyo again, with side trip to Singapore for a couple of nights, but also go for 5-7 days to Adelaide in Australia to see their relatives there.
Might also throw in a couple of nights in Hong Kong but we are still considering things, but anted to use the points to get best seats for longest flight – either ANA again to Tokyo, or perhaps Singapore Air to get there, but now know we cannot use points on them.

Could fly Virgin Upper to Hong Kong for one of us with points, but the points redemption / service is not a patch on ANA to Tokyo.

What to do great minds, what to do!
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

I currently have another 40k in points - if that makes any difference!