Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 27 Feb 21, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I’ve been before and hoping to go at summer as my daughter wanted to go. Cafe Du Monde is a good place I recall from my last trip 18 years ago.
In 2018 we went to the one opposite Jackson Square on our first morning (Dibb recommendation) and it’s a great place to go. Long queue and tables close together but coffee and beignets is the perfect start for a day of exploring New Orleans.

We also enjoyed Ruby Slipper Cafe, Pat O’briens, Erin Rose (amazing grilled cheese sandwich and frozen Irish coffee) and cocktails in Tropical Isle. We also did some sightseeing, we didn’t just eat and drink for a week
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
In 2018 we went to the one opposite Jackson Square on our first morning (Dibb recommendation) and it’s a great place to go. Long queue and tables close together but coffee and beignets is the perfect start for a day of exploring New Orleans.

We also enjoyed Ruby Slipper Cafe, Pat O’briens, Erin Rose (amazing grilled cheese sandwich and frozen Irish coffee) and cocktails in Tropical Isle. We also did some sightseeing, we didn’t just eat and drink for a week
I recall when we went how cheap it was. Probably changed now as our trip was 18 years ago. No queues back then. Live Jazz was on.
I’ve heard of Ruby Slipper Cafe.
We are due to fly in July, and I’ve got a package hotel good price with BA. Plan then is to get a flight to Vegas. Then Palm Springs, then Grand Californian, then LA.
Been to all these places, apart from Anaheim, but not for years.
Old 27 Feb 21, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I recall when we went how cheap it was. Probably changed now as our trip was 18 years ago. No queues back then. Live Jazz was on.
I’ve heard of Ruby Slipper Cafe.
We are due to fly in July, and I’ve got a package hotel good price with BA. Plan then is to get a flight to Vegas. Then Palm Springs, then Grand Californian, then LA.
Been to all these places, apart from Anaheim, but not for years.
For the quality of the food you get the prices are very good but I wouldn’t say cheap. Cheap for the quality for sure. Cocktails on a level with WDW price wise but much nicer (stronger).

Our favourites were:

Muriels
Brennan’s
SoBou
Cochon
Cochon Boucherie
Compère Lapin
Tableau
Mr B’s
Deanie’s
Turkey and the Wolf

ETA Mother’s! How did I forget Mother’s!

We did one of the Cafe du Monde but it was just eh for me. Ruby Slipper Cafe I don’t really remember except we had a crayfish Po’Boy at 5 in the morning 😂

I was desperate to go to Commanders Palace but we couldn’t squeeze it in.

WW 2 museum is extremely well done.

We did a couple of cemetery tours and spent a decent amount of time in Frenchmen Street.

Loved wandering around the Garden District, the French Quarter, did a couple of brewery tours and the standard carousel bar and so on.

We mostly just wandered around and soaked up the atmosphere. Didn’t do the steamboat tour that most people do as we spent hours sailing up and down the Mississippi on our cruise so it felt like the steamboat would be a poor second place to that.

Edited at 09:00 PM.
KarenG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
For the quality of the food you get the prices are very good but I wouldn’t say cheap. Cheap for the quality for sure. Cocktails on a level with WDW price wise but much nicer (stronger).

Our favourites were:

Muriels
Brennan’s
SoBou
Cochon
Cochon Boucherie
Compère Lapin
Tableau
Mr B’s
Deanie’s
Turkey and the Wolf

ETA Mother’s! How did I forget Mother’s!

We did one of the Cafe du Monde but it was just eh for me. Ruby Slipper Cafe I don’t really remember except we had a crayfish Po’Boy at 5 in the morning 😂

I was desperate to go to Commanders Palace but we couldn’t squeeze it in.

WW 2 museum is extremely well done.

We did a couple of cemetery tours and spent a decent amount of time in Frenchmen Street.

Loved wandering around the Garden District, the French Quarter, did a couple of brewery tours and the standard carousel bar and so on.

We mostly just wandered around and soaked up the atmosphere. Didn’t do the steamboat tour that most people do as we spent hours sailing up and down the Mississippi on our cruise so it felt like the steamboat would be a poor second place to that.
Sorry I meant Cafe Du Monde was cheap. Two coffees and a plate full of beignets was about a fiver back then.

Suspect they charge the earth now.

We went to the original.

Edited at 09:06 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Sorry I meant Cafe Du Monde was cheap. Two coffees and a plate full of beignets was about a fiver back then.

We went to the original.
I don’t remember Cafe du Monte being particularly expensive when we went either... well not compared to our trips to New York, Orlando, LA and Vegas! Some of the bars were quite expensive for cocktails but I think that’s pretty normal for US cities.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 21, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

We went to the original.
We went to the one next to NOPD because I was too lazy to wait in a long queue full of tourist at Jackson Square. I can’t recall how much we spent, it was definitely under $20 as I didn’t use my credit card apparently (I always use the CC if it’s over that, don’t ask me why). DH thinks two coffees, a bottle of water and three beignets was about $12 but he says don’t quote him on that!

Looking at my credit card, we had a lot of very reasonble prix fixe lunch menus which were of superb quality
Old 27 Feb 21, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
I don’t remember Cafe du Monte being particularly expensive when we went either... well not compared to our trips to New York, Orlando, LA and Vegas! Some of the bars were quite expensive for cocktails but I think that’s pretty normal for US cities.
I would agree very similar to Las Vegas / WDW prices for cocktails - many in the $15-$18 range. We were in Vegas in April and Orlando and Vegas November 2019 and NOLA in Jan/Feb 2020 so pretty similar time comparisons.
Old 2 Mar 21, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

I have had no real interest in New Orleans previously, but reading these posts has got me very interested. Off to have a look at pricing 😊
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List