Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Aug 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

May/June or October for west coast

I’m still holding on to the hope of a west coast trip next year even though DH doesn’t want to book anything for a while, if flights prices are really high for mid summer I’m thinking maybe end of May into June or last couple of weeks in October, does anyone have any experience of either?, my initial thought is October gives more time for things to return to normal and we can do Halloween in Disneyland😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We have done California in the first 3 weeks in May. It was a wee bit chilly up in Monterey but lovely in San Diego and Vegas. Palm Springs was as warm as ever. And we have been to Vegas and Palm Springs in October and both were really warm.
We have a holiday booked for next May that we moved from this May and I’m actually a little bit worried it won’t go ahead.
Notwithstanding the pandemic, I would really take what you want to do into consideration. For instance you mentioned Halloween, for us it would be baseball season and whale watching.

Edited at 10:16 PM.
Sandraoh40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
We have done California in the first 3 weeks in May. It was a wee bit chilly up in Monterey but lovely in San Diego and Vegas. Palm Springs was as warm as ever. And we have been to Vegas and Palm Springs in October and both were really warm.
We have a holiday booked for next May that we moved from this May and I’m actually a little bit worried it won’t go ahead.
Notwithstanding the pandemic, I would really take what you want to do into consideration. For instance you mentioned Halloween, for us it would be baseball season and whale watching.
Thanks very much for reply, whale watching in Monterey is a definite so which months are best for that? my DS is a basketball fan so that would also be a consideration and we need to consider the best time for Yosemite too.
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again, would probably go June early July as for Yosemite then you are sure it will be open for tioga pass. You must be nearly there with your organisation. We are now looking at Denver , Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone (fantastic last time) Vancouver. Just infancy at present.
After this year it’s hard to look at it in a positive way .
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Hi again, the uncertainty of travel at the moment is stopping me finishing my original plans but as I will keep looking at flights I want to have a few options of different times to visit, ideally I want to stick to 3 weeks in July/August, otherwise it would have to include either the May/June half term or the October one and this would limit us to 16 days so I would have to drop some plans. Your trip sounds exciting, I would love to see Mount Rushmore
Old 14 Aug 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bazinga 39 View Post
Thanks very much for reply, whale watching in Monterey is a definite so which months are best for that? my DS is a basketball fan so that would also be a consideration and we need to consider the best time for Yosemite too.
You have lots to think about there.
As I said, we went in May and we were really fortunate to follow a pod of orca from Monterey. It was one of the highlights. There were also a couple of humpbacks but we didn’t really get close enough to them, and a grey whale as well.
Have a look on the different companies websites, they will give you loads of info on sightings and when’s the best times to go for certain whales.

Edited at 11:22 PM.
Sandraoh40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

We have been in July, August, October and November. The weather in October was absolutely wonderful in Southern California. I wouldn’t build Yosemite into an itinerary just in case if was a problem accessing it. I haven’t been in May but I would wholeheartedly recommend October
Old 15 Aug 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Fireworks
Excited about Disney

We have been in both May and October and I would definitely choose October, the weather we had last year was perfect. When we went in May a couple of years ago the weather was very hit and miss, some quite chilly rainy days.

If you are wanting to go to Yosemite though, plan that as early as you can in October, especially if accessing it from the Tioga Pass, as that sometimes closes from mid October onwards, as do the roads up to Glacier Point.
Fireworks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bazinga 39 View Post
Hi again, the uncertainty of travel at the moment is stopping me finishing my original plans but as I will keep looking at flights I want to have a few options of different times to visit, ideally I want to stick to 3 weeks in July/August, otherwise it would have to include either the May/June half term or the October one and this would limit us to 16 days so I would have to drop some plans. Your trip sounds exciting, I would love to see Mount Rushmore
Hi again Mount Rushmore on our list and possibly next year, along with Yellowstone again. Mind you if the BLM get more outspoken we could find they would want it destroyed. 1 had a big influence in stealing land and moving Indians .
2 had huge farms with lots of slaves. We the times we live in.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi again Mount Rushmore on our list and possibly next year, along with Yellowstone again. Mind you if the BLM get more outspoken we could find they would want it destroyed. 1 had a big influence in stealing land and moving Indians .
2 had huge farms with lots of slaves. We the times we live in.
That would be awful if it happened☹️