Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Oct 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Your daughter can report a noise complaint from in her room on the accommodation app, they will not disclose who made the complaint so it could have come from any flat around them.
Your daughter can also request to move flats, is her friend in the same accommodation block as her, they could see if any accommodation has 2 rooms spare
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I would report it to the University on her behalf and state that you will be informing the media as you are not happy that the University are not taking effective measures.
2point is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
She is an adult now and its up to her to report it if she feels the need otherwise, under law its classed as hearsay. If you report it it may mean the relationship between her and her flatmates breaks down further and you dont want that if she is lockdown down with them ?
I guess its all down to growing up however hard that may be she is cutting her wings now - best thing you can do is offer her advice so she can decide for herself what she may do ...
Exactly this ^^^^^^ good advice.
Old 3 Oct 20, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

When our kids go off to university it is also a learning experience for the parents as well. We have to learn to let them grow up and make their own decisions. It really should be your daughters decision if this is reported. I absolutely understand your frustration and anger at the situation but unfortunately you cannot always take control for her. Are you intending to report them anonymously? If so, i am not sure the Uni will accept the report. If you are going to make the report using your name then I would be very careful of the implications for your daughter, particularly if she is already not great friends and it would seem the other may be. I am absolutely not defending the other students and this is a clear breach of the rules but unfortunately some 18 year old students (Not all) away from home for the first time are idiots rather than “entitled”.
Old 3 Oct 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It really seems like nothing can be done, I can’t report them and If dd does she’s a snitch. I’ll tell her to stay in her room if it happens again. I sound a right miserable b#tch but it’s only because of this bloody virus!
Old 3 Oct 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

With all the current news over university’s & covid you really would think common sense would prevail 🤷
Obviously some people either don’t care or think they are immune to spreading covid.
You must feel frustrated, angry and upset for your daughter.
I do agree she can’t really ‘snitch’ as that could cause her problems with her current flat mates. Not fair but 🤷🤷
The flat your daughter had been to earlier, is that friend within the same halls of residence? If so, could she request to be moved?
It doesn’t make it any better but its not just uni kids doing this. My friends neighbour (across the road from her) had a party last night too. Just crazy!
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Your daughter can report a noise complaint from in her room on the accommodation app, they will not disclose who made the complaint so it could have come from any flat around them.
Your daughter can also request to move flats, is her friend in the same accommodation block as her, they could see if any accommodation has 2 rooms spare
Sorry I missed this, I’ve told her to move flats but she’s sort of settled in her room now. She got the shower fixed yesterday and her room is rather cosy. Saying that we will see, she has 3 friends from high school at uni. They all have a laugh and stay up really late eating junk but don’t party!
Old 3 Oct 20, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Sandra, I understand that your daughter would feel extremely uncomfortable about reporting it because people are good at giving advice suggesting it will help her grow up etc, but I wouldn't trust her details not been passed on albeit accidentally.

I would likely email the uni with the info you have and make it clear that your son/daughter (you don't even need to say which) is very uncomfortable about formally reporting this incident and clearly as a parent this is of concern to you, and even if they can't act on this email then you would appreciate if they could conduct future security checks (they have security people who work around the clock).

This isn't about students making noise by having a party, but potentially putting peoples lives at risk.

Edited at 12:43 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
MH you are right, because now there’s four cases in Southampton that’s going to spread if parties are going on. I will find a email address and tell them to get security out at night, because the common rooms are shut they all gather in the kitchen. I just don’t want my daughter getting ill, going into Lockdown or giving it to us when she visits!
Old 3 Oct 20, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
It really seems like nothing can be done, I can’t report them and If dd does she’s a snitch. I’ll tell her to stay in her room if it happens again. I sound a right miserable b#tch but it’s only because of this bloody virus!
Please report it, I can’t speak for all Uni’s but I can for my husbands, and I am sure all are pretty similar.
Your daughter will have a number for accommodation services, Security and a complaints procedure.

At my husbands Uni, out of hours is actually manned by Security. A quick call, saying I feel uncomfortable, in my flat as there is a party going on, is there a safe place I can go. Would swing them in to action. If she doesn’t feel comfortable raising it as a formal complaint.

Parties are not allowed, yet so many students are ignoring this rule.

People need to start complaining, so pressure is put on others to comply.

How can we have a society where those doing the “right thing” are the ones to feel like outcasts?

The complaints need to be made so the “staff” can act. Security don’t enter accommodation unless there is a problem they don’t come in routinely to do headcounts, they need to know.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread