Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 31 May 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

While taking a pic in the florida sunshine is fine on a phone, a proper camera will he head and shoulders above when light is poor or you want to control things - often my phone has the shutter speed too low so its blurred.

Get a camera, you can always sell after you get back. Sony RX range is good, Fuji better, a dslr is perfect, or mirrorless DX. I left the DSLR at home last 2 times and just took a Fuji X100, bigger than a normal compact but can easily fit in a pouch which goes on your belt.

The other thing which people don't do is EDIT! Crop, level and boost colours or exposure, makes your images loads better. And while you cant polish a ≈≈≈≈, places like Tesco are rubbish for quality photos!
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Depending on what phone you have and what you what to do .A decent phone camera is fine I take lots of pictures and mainly use my pro 20 for basic pictures the only thing is no zoom so I will be looking at a proper camera in a few months.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Ive always loved photography so to me, no holiday is complete unless I take a nice camera and I don't mind the extra weight.

I'd still say for a once in a lifetime trip with great views, it's worth taking a "proper" camera.

Of course the truest words ever spoken, "the best camera is the one you always have with you" so you have to look at what gap you're trying to fill that the cell phone doesn't provide.

The main things at the moment would probably be sensor size (for image quality, subject separation, low light) and zoom. Whilst keeping it small enough to take.

You're not going to be able to do much about sensor size at 200quid but as has already been mentioned, you can get a lovely little zoom camera which won't weigh you down and will give you a really great zoom with no hassle.

I know a few people who have the one that Mr Tom Morrow recommended and they've got photobooks of great shots using it.
johnlewis/sony-cyber...-case/p3244731

ps. if you're going to Niagara falls, you should buy a cheap plastic waterproof housing for the camera. I don't think I've ever been so completely and totally soaked in my life LOL
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
pinktraceb
slightly serious Dibber

pinktraceb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Mobile

Thanks all!

I've got a Samsung S9 so it does take decentish pics.

We're off to Vancouver and then the Rockies, with (hopefully) a bit of whale watching too.

The one for John Lewis looks like a good choice! Thanks everyone for responding!
The Bacon's Go Back May 2015
Ramada Gateway & OKW 2017
pinktraceb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 03:05 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

For Florida, I take an Olympus tough TG-4. I carry it in a Lowe pro case on my trouser belt and can thus forget about it when not using it.

It is waterproof to 15m , drop proof on to concrete and pretty indestructable. When I am in a Waterpark or Discovery Cove, It goes in a zip pocket in my shorts.

It takes very good photographs as well.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

An old saying, the best camera is one you have on you at the time.
I enjoy photography and was in a camera club once. I’ve had SLRs of various types, mirrorless and now have a £500 Panasonic compact. But to be honest I rarely use it as I can’t be bothered and I have a GoPro Hero 7 for video and a Google Pixel phone which takes amazing photos. I won a photography competition recently and it was my phone picture that won it. So if you are on the fence, get the best phone camera you can- which is Pixel 3 or Hauwai P30 Pro or maybe latest iPhones. Hauwai camera is amazing and the best, but Hauwai has issues at the moment of course and P30 Pro phones are only attracting £100 on trade in now, despite being new and still £800+ new.
Old 7 Jun 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mouskevik
Imagineer

Mobile

Hello! I've just bought a GoPro but it's really for video and water parks. I'd like to get a decent entry level camera, but don't know whether to get a DSLR or a digital camera with long zoom. If I get a DSLR I don't want to be carrying a zoom lens and faffing about changing them. Will I get frustrated with the range of an 18-55 lens? Looking at either the Nikon D3500 or Nikon Coolpix B500. Thanks
Sandy Ridge/Miami/HRH - Aug 2019
mouskevik is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List